[comp.os.minix] Advanced MINIX

miquels@drinkel.nl.mugnet.org (Miquel van Smoorenburg) (04/28/91)

In article <910415203@bbltv.nl.mugnet.org>, edvard@bbltv.nl.mugnet.org (Edvard Tuinder) wrote:
> Hello *,
>
> Well, I have justed installed my copy of NLMUG Advanced MINIX 1.5.10D
> and it's working great. It really is much better then my old (?) 1.5.10.
I have 1.5.10E .... ;-(

> But while wading through all the program's I noticed that a lot of
> them were having a symbol table and since I'm short in disk space
> I did a strip * in /usr/bin.
ai...
> I had better not... This actually ruins all setup ownership of the stripped
> programs. Most of the programs were owned by bin.  This was changed into
> root whithout notice (also the SETUID programs....)
> One other thing was stripping linked files. This resulted in mutiple
I know the problem. Below is my solution: a shell script called sstrip.

---------
#!/bin/sh
#
# sstrip: retain links.
#
if [ $# = 0 ]
then
	echo Usage: sstrip files
	exit 1
fi
for i in $*
do
	echo $i
	ln $i $i.l
	echo stripping...
	strip $i.l
	echo copying...
	cp $i.l $i
	echo remove backup
	rm -f $i.l
done
-------
Simple, eh?
Miquel.
| Miquel van Smoorenburg,        | It's a 106 miles to Chicago.        |
| Baljuwstraat 20                | We've got a full tank of gas,       |
| 2461SL                         | Half a pack of cigarettes,          |
| Langeraar                      | It's dark,                          |
| miquels@drinkel.nl.mugnet.org  | And we're wearing sunglasses.....   |
|                                | Hit it!                             |
|          The Brain  -  Direct Memory Access...                       |

agm@daphne.stl.stc.co.uk (Andrew G. Minter) (05/03/91)

(Edvard Tuinder) wrote:
|> Well, I have justed installed my copy of NLMUG Advanced MINIX 1.5.10D
|> and it's working great. It really is much better then my old (?) 1.5.10.

Can anyone tell me how I can get hold of NLMUG Advanced MINIX over the
net (or even what it is)?

Thanks in advance, Andrew
--
+-----------------------------+--------------------------------+
| Andrew G. Minter            | Email: agm@stl.stc.co.uk       |

TCBORDP%VCCSCENT.bitnet@vtvm2.cc.vt.edu (Peter W. Borders) (05/04/91)

I, too, would like information on how to get all the parts for Advanced
Minix. Either ftp or via mail (electronic or otherwise). I am currently
using many of the features that where listed but some of the others I
haven't seen before. Thanks for any info.
Pete Borders <tcbordp@vccscent> : BITNET

overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) (05/04/91)

In article <4379@stl.stc.co.uk> agm@daphne.stl.stc.co.uk (Andrew G. Minter) writes:
>Can anyone tell me how I can get hold of NLMUG Advanced MINIX over the
>net (or even what it is)?

`Advanced MINIX' is Fred van Kempen's digested collection of "everything"
that has been distributed to the Net.  In a recent (electronic)
conversation, Fred agreed with my assertion that you can get most of what is
in AM by sucking dry to your nearby archive bit-bucket and compiling up
everything (it just wouldn't be "packaged").

Thus, the difference between AM and, say, my Plains archive is that AM has
Fred's name on your (and Andy's) bits, while on Plains your name is still on
the sources.

Fred has frequently promised to make his collection available to the net,
the first being about a year ago when he asked me to carry it on Plains.  I
have yet to see the bits.  Maybe Fred could just call it "Advanced
Vaporware", thus avoiding trademark problems with using the name "MINIX" and
copyright problems with distributing Minix's sources.  It's also a LOT
easier to distribute vaporware :-)
--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)

THOMAS%PPH022.DMSWWU-ETHER@cunyvm.cuny.edu (05/04/91)

I think it's time for the definite words about NLMUG ADVANCED MINIX (Fred ?).
I'm also curious about this, like many other people.

Thomas Heller

v892231@si.hhs.nl (Edvard Tuinder) (05/08/91)

Glen Overby wrote:

> In article <4379@stl.stc.co.uk> agm@daphne.stl.stc.co.uk (Andrew G. Minter)
>  writes:
> >Can anyone tell me how I can get hold of NLMUG Advanced MINIX over the
> >net (or even what it is)?
>
> `Advanced MINIX' is Fred van Kempen's digested collection of "everything"
> that has been distributed to the Net.  In a recent (electronic)
> conversation, Fred agreed with my assertion that you can get most of what is
> in AM by sucking dry to your nearby archive bit-bucket and compiling up
> everything (it just wouldn't be "packaged").
>
> Thus, the difference between AM and, say, my Plains archive is that AM has
> Fred's name on your (and Andy's) bits, while on Plains your name is still on
> the sources.
Well that maybe true, but from my experience with using Advanced MINIX
and my own updates from the net, I do notice some changes.
One of the most noticable things is ``the look'' of the sources. It is not
just one great bag of seperate programs (patches), but it is all
worked out together. It works! Moreover, with AM I haven't had a single
crash yet. (knock knock)
BTW, not all in AM is from the net, quite a few changes come from Fred.
For example the sinit/init implementation, the totally redone serial
driver. I can go on for a while here....

> Fred has frequently promised to make his collection available to the net,
> the first being about a year ago when he asked me to carry it on Plains.  I
> have yet to see the bits.  Maybe Fred could just call it "Advanced
> Vaporware", thus avoiding trademark problems with using the name "MINIX" and
> copyright problems with distributing Minix's sources.  It's also a LOT
> easier to distribute vaporware :-)
You call it vaporware. it sure runs on my machine :-)

						Edvard
Edvard Tuinder             | internet: v892231@si.hhs.nl
Student Computer Science   |           edvard@bbltv.nl.mugnet.org
Haagse Hogeschool          |     uucp: ...!uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!hhinsi!v892231
The Hague, The Netherlands |           ...!uunet!minixug!bbltv!edvard

cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) (05/08/91)

In article <52889@nigel.ee.udel.edu> v892231@si.hhs.nl (Edvard Tuinder) writes:
>Glen Overby wrote:
>> copyright problems with distributing Minix's sources.  It's also a LOT
>> easier to distribute vaporware :-)
>You call it [Advanced Minix] vaporware. it sure runs on my machine :-)

Well, everyone who has it seems to  hail from *.nl   To them, it is
real software.  To everyone else, it is vaporware.  No matter how good
it is or how much you like it, if we can't get it, then it is vaporware.

					Conway Yee, N2JWQ
yee@ming.mipg.upenn.edu    (preferred)             231 S. Melville St.
cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (forwarded to above)    Philadelphia, Pa 19139
yee@bnlx26.nsls.bnl.gov    (rarely checked)        (215) 386-1312

bert@arrakis.nl.mugnet.org (Bert Laverman) (05/19/91)

cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) writes:
> Edvard Tuinder writes:
> >You call it [Advanced Minix] vaporware. it sure runs on my machine :-)
> Well, everyone who has it seems to  hail from *.nl.
Actually, most hail from *.nl.mugnet.org.

>						        To them, it is
> real software.
Even better: the MUGNET backbone (minixug.mugnet.org) is a machine which
runs it, so its not just 'real software', but even 'important software'.
Besides, it's name is really "NLMUG Advanced Minix", so the concentration
is not entirely unexplainable. :-) (ouch! Ow! Ok, ok. you can stop the egg
throwing!)

>		  To everyone else, it is vaporware.  No matter how good
> it is or how much you like it, if we can't get it, then it is vaporware.
Ok, agreed it's a bit difficult to obtain at the moment, but 'vaporware'
usually denotes "announced, but still not distributed" software. How
about calling it 'fluid'ware, since it's a little more substantial? ;-)

Actually...

#stty rumor

  NLMUG is in negotiation with PH over the matter ("Minix" is their name,
don't forget it!), in order to get permission for further distribution.
However, it looks like permission to use the name "Minix" will _not_ be
granted, and considerable brainstorming and planning is being put in
making the stepover to a completely _new_ (and _free_) alternative.

#stty -rumor

Greetings, Bert.

	--> What I write, _I_ stand for. <--

    Bert Laverman		email: bert@arrakis.nl.mugnet.org
    tel.:  +31 50 - 733587	   or: laverman@cs.rug.nl

waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (05/20/91)

overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) wrote:
> In article <4379@stl.stc.co.uk> agm@daphne.stl.stc.co.uk (Andrew G. Minter) writes:
>>Can anyone tell me how I can get hold of NLMUG Advanced MINIX over the
>>net (or even what it is)?
>
> `Advanced MINIX' is Fred van Kempen's digested collection of "everything"
> that has been distributed to the Net.  In a recent (electronic)
Correct.

> conversation, Fred agreed with my assertion that you can get most of what is
> in AM by sucking dry to your nearby archive bit-bucket and compiling up
> everything (it just wouldn't be "packaged").
I did not exactly say "most of it", but a fair deal of it is available
from the numerous archives.

> Thus, the difference between AM and, say, my Plains archive is that AM has
> Fred's name on your (and Andy's) bits, while on Plains your name is still on
> the sources.
Nope.  I am (or, better: _was_) the _maintainer_ of NLMUG Advanced MINIX.
I never claimed to be its author.  I always kept the correct (c) and Author:
statements in the entire package.

> Fred has frequently promised to make his collection available to the net,
> the first being about a year ago when he asked me to carry it on Plains.  I
> have yet to see the bits.  Maybe Fred could just call it "Advanced
A matter of flakey network access at 2400bps.  I am not about to upload
20Mbytes of stuff (12Mbyte Archive, 8Mbyte Advanced MINIX) via this
link.  The archive is now starting to be stable enough to redistribute its
contents.  I just sent it over to Germany (SubNetz) and England (MUGNET-UK).
France, Italy, Denmark and the US will follow.

> Vaporware", thus avoiding trademark problems with using the name "MINIX" and
> copyright problems with distributing Minix's sources.  It's also a LOT
> easier to distribute vaporware :-)

NLMUG Advanced MINIX exists, is (was?) available and will probably be
dead soon because of copyright blues. No further comments.

Fred.
--
MicroWalt Corporation, for MINIX Development	waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org
Tel (+31) 252 230 205, Hoefbladhof  27, 2215 DV  VOORHOUT, The Netherlands

THOMAS%PPH022.DMSWWU-ETHER@cunyvm.cuny.edu () wrote:
> I think it's time for the definite words about NLMUG ADVANCED MINIX (Fred ?).
> I'm also curious about this, like many other people.
>
> Thomas Heller

Gnaaa :-)
(biiigg grin over here :-)

I explained things in a previous message.  I am currently either
in the hospital, moving out or moving into it, so time is scarce.
The few hours I am not in there I have to spend at work...

Fred.
--

v892231@si.hhs.nl (Edvard Tuinder) wrote:
> Glen Overby wrote:
>>
>> In article <4379@stl.stc.co.uk> agm@daphne.stl.stc.co.uk (Andrew G. Minter)
>>  writes:
>> >Can anyone tell me how I can get hold of NLMUG Advanced MINIX over the
>> >net (or even what it is)?
>>
>> `Advanced MINIX' is Fred van Kempen's digested collection of "everything"
>> that has been distributed to the Net.  In a recent (electronic)
>> conversation, Fred agreed with my assertion that you can get most of what is
>> in AM by sucking dry to your nearby archive bit-bucket and compiling up
>> everything (it just wouldn't be "packaged").
>>
>> Thus, the difference between AM and, say, my Plains archive is that AM has
>> Fred's name on your (and Andy's) bits, while on Plains your name is still on
>> the sources.
> Well that maybe true, but from my experience with using Advanced MINIX
> and my own updates from the net, I do notice some changes.
> One of the most noticable things is ``the look'' of the sources. It is not
> just one great bag of seperate programs (patches), but it is all
> worked out together. It works! Moreover, with AM I haven't had a single
This is a main difference.  Thanks for pointing it out. I forgot to
mention this as clear as you did..

> crash yet. (knock knock)
Pfew! :-)

> BTW, not all in AM is from the net, quite a few changes come from Fred.
> For example the sinit/init implementation, the totally redone serial
> driver. I can go on for a while here....
(blush)

> You call it vaporware. it sure runs on my machine :-)
And on lots more.  I wonder why we named it "NLMUG Advanced MINIX" ??
					     ^^^^^

Fred.
--

cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) wrote:
> In article <52889@nigel.ee.udel.edu> v892231@si.hhs.nl (Edvard Tuinder) writes:
>>Glen Overby wrote:
>>> copyright problems with distributing Minix's sources.  It's also a LOT
>>> easier to distribute vaporware :-)
>>You call it [Advanced Minix] vaporware. it sure runs on my machine :-)
>
> Well, everyone who has it seems to  hail from *.nl   To them, it is
> real software.  To everyone else, it is vaporware.  No matter how good
> it is or how much you like it, if we can't get it, then it is vaporware.
Tell Prentice Hall, not me.  I would ship it to anyone, if they would
let me...

Fred.
--

tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu (Tyler Sarna) (05/21/91)

In comp.os.minix, Bert Laverman <bert@arrakis.nl.mugnet.org>
writes:

> granted, and considerable brainstorming and planning is being put in
> making the stepover to a completely _new_ (and _free_) alternative.

At that point, why not simply (wait for/help out with) the GNU
system? It is free, and certinly will have enough features to
satisfy even the most rabid members of the kernel-bloating camp
(of which, I must admit, I am a member).

For he large number of people who just want an affordable unix
alternative, preferably with source, and are not particularly
tied to minix, GNU would win hands down. The only question is
if GNU will be *too* bloated for anything less than a largish
workstation.

--
Tyler "Ty" Sarna                                 tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu

"Please accept this cash gratuity. Don't disperse it all in one locality"
                                          -Mr. Conehead

jpc@fct.unl.pt (Jose Pina Coelho) (05/22/91)

In article <910518420@arrakis.nl.mugnet.org>
bert@arrakis.nl.mugnet.org (Bert Laverman) writes:
>   #stty rumor
>     NLMUG is in negotiation with PH over the matter ("Minix" is their name,
>   don't forget it!), in order to get permission for further distribution.
>   However, it looks like permission to use the name "Minix" will _not_ be
>   granted, and considerable brainstorming and planning is being put in
>   making the stepover to a completely _new_ (and _free_) alternative.
>   #stty -rumor

Maxix ? ;-)

--
Jose Pedro T. Pina Coelho   | BITNET/Internet: jpc@fct.unl.pt
Rua Jau N 1, 2 Dto          | UUCP: ...!mcsun!unl!jpc

- If all men were brothers, would you let one marry your sister ?

terry@csd.uwo.ca (Terry Cudney) (05/22/91)

To Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen:

Fred,
     Email to you bounced, so I'm posting here out of desperation.
You wrote:

>NLMUG Advanced MINIX exists, is (was?) available and will probably be
>dead soon because of copyright blues. No further comments.

     Previously, you said that Advanced Minix was available to people who
have a legal copy of P-H Minix... What proof of legality is required?
and How/Where would AM be available?

     I bought 1.5 for my '386 last month (April/91), but am very interested
in AM (and your other associated packages KA9Q especially). Please respond
via email, or post to comp.os.minix as you see fit.

Thanks.

--terry

--
/* terry@csd.uwo.ca
 * Terry Cudney 9 Durham Street, LONDON, Ontario, N5Y 2H9

ching@brahms.amd.com (Mike Ching) (05/23/91)

In article <JPC.91May21180326@terra.fct.unl.pt> jpc@fct.unl.pt (Jose Pina Coelho) writes:

>In article <910518420@arrakis.nl.mugnet.org>
>bert@arrakis.nl.mugnet.org (Bert Laverman) writes:
>>   #stty rumor
>>     NLMUG is in negotiation with PH over the matter ("Minix" is their name,
>>   don't forget it!), in order to get permission for further distribution.
>>   However, it looks like permission to use the name "Minix" will _not_ be
>>   granted, and considerable brainstorming and planning is being put in
>>   making the stepover to a completely _new_ (and _free_) alternative.
>>   #stty -rumor
>
>Maxix ? ;-)

Doesn't tradition dictate a name like MIM (Mim Is not Minix)? :-)

Mike Ching