[comp.os.minix] AmigaMINIX hard disk support: status?

michael@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl (Michael Brouwer) (05/22/91)

I currently own the PH 1.5.10 relase of AmigaMINIX and am using the
kernel from ftp.cs.vu.nl with hard-disk support. This works fine as long
as I use the standard kernel. This is not what I bought minix for! I
have full access to the net (I know good for me :-) ) and would like to
apply some (or alot) of the patches availible. Currently I'm using gcc
1.39 and gas 1.37 from plains to compile programs and this works fine.

But to recompile the kernel I need the sources for a hard disk driver
(at least if I don't want to leave 100Mb unused and switch back to
floppy's) and I think there are a lot of other people in the AmigaMINIX
community who would like to have them to. I have an A590 with internal
XT-drive and external scsi-drive.

My question to the net:
	Does anyone have a working hard disk driver for
	AmigaMINIX with sources that can be freely distributed
	(or if they cannot a beta-version will do) I would really
	like to be able to recompile my kernel with gcc and be
	able to apply some patches.

One more thing; I head something about recompiling with gcc and the
problems that can occour doing so. I have succesfully compiled the
vanilla 1.5.10 from PH (I rewrote the .s file from Motorola to MIT
standard) but it didn't work. I applied the patches to the include files
I found on plains, and I used gcc-ld instead of ld and cv to make .mix
files. The kernel build was successful as wel but when I booted the
newly built kernel the following message was presented to me:

Booting minix 1.5.10 [and so on]
[usual info]

read error from major device 2 minior 8 [or whatever /dev/dd0 points to]
KERNEL PANIC!
press reset button

What did I do wrong (or forget)? Does it have something to do with stack
allocation for kernel procs or should I patch some code. Does anyone
have any info on how to recompile the kernel on the Amiga (or ST) using
gcc? If so please send it to me or tell me where I can get it.

Thanks inadvance,
--
                                        Michael Brouwer

P.S. Any opinions expressed above are not my own, but my vt100's

raymond@cs.vu.nl (Raymond Michiels) (05/22/91)

michael@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl (Michael Brouwer) writes:

>	Does anyone have a working hard disk driver for
>	AmigaMINIX with sources that can be freely distributed
>	(or if they cannot a beta-version will do) I would really
>	like to be able to recompile my kernel with gcc and be
>	able to apply some patches.

The official version will be released real soon now. Less than one
hour ago we got it running on the A3000. All I need to do now is
to clean up the code. I know it is difficult, but be patient.

	-Raymond.

PS: For the record: the driver supports A590 XT+SCSI, A2090 SCSI, A2091 SCSI
and A3000 SCSI.

rda136k@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Simon Cocking) (05/23/91)

raymond@cs.vu.nl (Raymond Michiels) writes:

>	-Raymond.

>PS: For the record: the driver supports A590 XT+SCSI, A2090 SCSI, A2091 SCSI
>and A3000 SCSI.

   Would it be possible to modify this code to support a SCSI hard disk
attached to the parallel port?  I know this is a weird configuration, but
it is what I have and I would like to use a hard disk with Minix too.

Thanks,
--
        ///                               ^^^^^
   __  ///                               (o   o)  Didn't 25 years of Doctor

raymond@cs.vu.nl (Raymond Michiels) (05/23/91)

rda136k@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Simon Cocking) writes:
>raymond@cs.vu.nl (Raymond Michiels) writes:
>>PS: For the record: the driver supports A590 XT+SCSI, A2090 SCSI, A2091 SCSI
>>and A3000 SCSI.

>   Would it be possible to modify this code to support a SCSI hard disk
>attached to the parallel port?

To be brief: Yes; but for several reasons I won't. The most important reason
is that there are a lot of ways to connect a hard disk to your Amiga. Everybody
(each manufacturer) can design its own interface and write their own driver.
Unfortunately for you, I don't have the time to write N hard disk drivers. I've
already spent too much time on the 590/2090/2091/3000 driver.

If, however, enough people have configuration X, it might be very possible
that someone will write a hard disk driver for that configuration. The only
problem with writing hard disk drivers is that you need time and access to all
the documentation about the hard disk and the interface. This often is harder
than you might think.

	-Raymond.