[comp.os.minix] Minix upgrades

dclandis@wsuiar.uucp (03/18/90)

Hello,

I'm new to the net.   I am using Minix 1.2 on two different machines.
At home I use it on a PC Limited 8MHz 286 with a single floppy, 20MB
hard disk, and 1MB RAM.   At school, I use a Zenith dual floppy drive,
with 512KB, 286 of unknow MHz.   I have two questions.   The first is
why does my PC Limited machine require frequent rebooting.   Is Minix
prone to deadlocking on some machines?   The Zenith that I use never
requires that I reboot during a work session of any sort.

The second is how might I get an update from Minix 1.2 to 1.3 or 1.5
and what do these updates entail?

Thanks in advance!

Dave Landis
Wichita State University
316-686-8903

davidp@kau1.kodak.com (David Purdue) (05/23/91)

New to minix, new to the list, apologies for repetition, etc, etc.

I have recently purchased MINIX 1.5 from Prentice Hall. I understand
from various postings to the list that the latest official version
is 1.5.10 patch level 3. How do I get there from here?

(BTW, I wrote to <ast@cs.vu.nl> to ask about comp.os.minix, and was
sent the MINIX INFORMATION SHEET. This sheet lists various archive
sites that have upgrades, but so far the ones I have tried have
removed them. One site no longer has a minix archive at all!

Also, in the welcome message I was sent when I joined the info-minix
mailing list, I was told I could get the up-to-date minix information
sheet by sending the message

	get minix info minix

to listserv@vm1.nodak.edu. This fails.)

Some other questions, while I have your attention:

Has anyone done any work on supporting floating point hardware (in particular
a 287 chip) in MINIX?

What exactly is bcc, and why should I use (or not use) it?

Thanks for your attention.

							DavidP
=====
David Purdue					Phone: +61 3 353 3913
Advanced Imaging Systems Development Centre	Fax:   +61 3 353 2987
Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd			Email: davidp@kodak.com

overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) (05/24/91)

In article <54446@nigel.ee.udel.edu> davidp@kau1.kodak.com (David Purdue) writes:
>from various postings to the list that the latest official version
>is 1.5.10 patch level 3. How do I get there from here?

1.5 from Prentice Hall == 1.5.10 from the net.  Some systems (Mac, ST, ?)
have official patches issued by the person responsible for that port.

Would you send me the list of archive sites you found to no longer exist or
carry Minix things?  I've been in contact with most of them within the past
month.

>Also, in the welcome message I was sent when I joined the info-minix
>mailing list, I was told I could get the up-to-date minix information
>sheet by sending the message

That's out of date.  Andy already sent you the Info Sheet so you need not
ask for it again but FYI, here's the latest "Welcome" message.

This mailing list is intended for the discussion of the Minix Operating System.
It is a Version 7 system call compatible OS written for IBM Compatible PCs by
Andy Tanenbaum (minix@cs.vu.nl).  He is also the author of a book which
describes the system "Operating Systems: Design and Implementation", published
by Prentice-Hall, 1987, ISBN 0-13-637406-9.  Their number is 1-800-223-1360;
from outside the US/Canada the number is +1-201-592-2000.

Contributions to the list proper should be sent to "info-minix@udel.edu".
Administrivia, e.g., additions to or deletions from the list, should be sent
to "info-minix-request@udel.edu" or "minix@plains.nodak.edu".  I have NOT
added you to the list at this time.

is also on the internet, where it is known as vm1.nodak.edu) and its peers,
and is gatewayed to the USENET newsgroup "comp.os.minix".  Subscribers should
consider which of the possible subscription methods is the most effective use
of resources, i.e., where USENET News is available, readers should not
subscribe to the list since it is already carried at your site

There are several sites which archive all messages sent to the list, plus
anything else that they see fit.  Information about many archive sites, as
well as other common questions about Minix can be found in the "Minix
Information Sheet".  A copy of it can be had by anonymous FTP to
plains.nodak.edu [134.129.111.64] in pub/Minix/doc/Info_Sheet or by sending
electronic mail to archive-server@plains.nodak.edu (aka "plains" on uucp and
bitnet) saying:

        send Minix/doc/Info_Sheet

a report on what machines Minix has been tested on is available in the same
directory in the file "Compatability".

Glen Overby     info-minix List Maintainer      <minix@plains.nodak.edu>
                uunet!plains!minix (UUCP)       minix@plains (Bitnet)

--
                Glen Overby     <overby@plains.nodak.edu>
        uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (05/24/91)

In article <10598@plains.NoDak.edu> overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) writes:
>It is a Version 7 system call compatible OS written for IBM Compatible PCs by
>Andy Tanenbaum (minix@cs.vu.nl).

I originally thought I could keep MINIX mail and real mail separate by
using a different name (minix@cs.vu.nl) for MINIX.  Sort of like Archibald
Leach calling himself Cary Grant or Bob Zimmerman calling himself Bob Dylan
in public.  It didn't work.  I gave up and went back to ast@cs.vu.nl for
everything.  I haven't looked at minix@cs.vu.nl in ages.  There are probably
10,000 message there now, so I don't dare look either.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

ralf@ptavv.ka.sub.org (Ralf Wenk) (05/25/91)

In article <54446@nigel.ee.udel.edu> David Purdue <davidp@kau1.kodak.com>
writes:
> I have recently purchased MINIX 1.5 from Prentice Hall. I understand
> from various postings to the list that the latest official version
> is 1.5.10 patch level 3. How do I get there from here?
> [...]
> Has anyone done any work on supporting floating point hardware (in particular
> a 287 chip) in MINIX?
    ^^^^^^^^
The patches are for the ST version only.

Ralf Wenk -- ralf@ptavv.ka.sub.org