[comp.os.minix] minix on Atari Mega STe?

vesseur@fwi.uva.nl (Joep JJ Vesseur (I88)) (05/02/91)

hello,

i consider upgrading from an STF to a Mega STe but i want to keep
on running Minix-ST. after all sorts of rumours about incompatibilities
between ST's and STe's i wonder whether someone has Minix running
on an STe or knows it does run.

thanx,

		joep

joep vesseur, e-mail: vesseur@fwi.uva.nl
--- work: Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Sience,
	  University of Amsterdam,
	  Plantage Muidergracht 24, 1018 TV Amsterdam, Netherlands.
          tel. +31 20 5256082
--- home: tel. +31 20 6620294
                 I'm not disorganized, just flexible.

HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) (05/03/91)

When I tested it, MINIX booted on a MEGA STE 4 without problems, but
it booted in 8MHz cache-less mode, as dhrystone figures showed.

C.v.W.

micro@imada.ou.dk (Klaus Pedersen) (05/12/91)

HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) writes:

>When I tested it, MINIX booted on a MEGA STE 4 without problems, but
>it booted in 8MHz cache-less mode, as dhrystone figures showed.

Yes, this is because that the MEGA STE allways boots in compatibility
mode, it assumes that auto-booting things are games or some other picky
things...
You will have to write a program that flips the flag, to get full speed.

-Klaus (micro@imada.ou.dk)

Christoph van Wuellen <HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu> (05/13/91)

I had no chance to fiddle around, and no doc on the STE.

But a STE can boot a ST MINIX bootdisk, so there is a big chance of
getting started.

C.v.W.

msdloem@cs.vu.nl (Loemban tobing Msd) (05/14/91)

micro@imada.ou.dk (Klaus Pedersen) writes:

>HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) writes:

>>When I tested it, MINIX booted on a MEGA STE 4 without problems, but
>>it booted in 8MHz cache-less mode, as dhrystone figures showed.

>Yes, this is because that the MEGA STE allways boots in compatibility
>mode, it assumes that auto-booting things are games or some other picky
>things...
>You will have to write a program that flips the flag, to get full speed.

>-Klaus (micro@imada.ou.dk)

There's something strange with my Mega STE4 and Minix. When I boot minix
from a boot diskette, Single or Double sided, as soon as the Ram Disk is
loaded, it Gives a Signal 11 at the start of INIT, and does nothing.
However, this doesn't occur when I boot the same minix image using
MINIX.PRG. BTW, When I use MINIX.PRG and boot minix after the desktop
has come up, I get 50000 dhrystones in 44 sec. On my old ST in +/- 78 sec.
When I use MINIX on my Mega STE, I can't use CTRL-ALT-DEL to reset. I have
to turn off the switch, and turn it back on again. Even the Reset-button
doesn't work properly.

-Martin (msdloem@cs.vu.nl)

--
--   Martin S.D. Loemban Tobing    --   INTERNET: msdloem@cs.vu.nl
--

bert@arrakis.nl.mugnet.org (Bert Laverman) (05/26/91)

msdloem@cs.vu.nl (Loemban tobing Msd) wrote:
> There's something strange with my Mega STE4 and Minix. When I boot minix
> from a boot diskette, Single or Double sided, as soon as the Ram Disk is
> loaded, it Gives a Signal 11 at the start of INIT, and does nothing.
> However, this doesn't occur when I boot the same minix image using
> MINIX.PRG. BTW, When I use MINIX.PRG and boot minix after the desktop
> has come up, I get 50000 dhrystones in 44 sec. On my old ST in +/- 78 sec.
This looks like what Cristoph said: when booting, you get 8MHz, but in
TOS the switch is made to 16MHz, so starting Minix there will give you
the fast Minix.

> When I use MINIX on my Mega STE, I can't use CTRL-ALT-DEL to reset. I have
> to turn off the switch, and turn it back on again. Even the Reset-button
> doesn't work properly.
This is a bug in Minix, and occurs with 'normal' STs as well. If you
use MINIX.PRG, re-booting fails. My guess is that somebody has been too
cautious in re-loading vectors during Minix boot.

Greetings, Bert

    Bert Laverman		email: bert@arrakis.nl.mugnet.org
    tel.:  +31 50 - 733587	   or: laverman@cs.rug.nl