[comp.os.minix] Nightmare on comp.os.minix: Freddie van Kempen RETURNS!

overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) (05/22/91)

In article <9105201070@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org> waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) writes:

	How many of you put Freddie in your "kill" file?  Raise
	your serial cable :-)

Can we go back to PDP/11 memory management?  At least that was technical...
Why don't I set up a "minix-politicts" mailing list so you can beat each
other up over there?

You stomped my toes in a few places, and put your foot in your mouth in a
few others.  At the risk of boring the other 25,000 subscribers (and hitting
their Kill files myself :-), I'm going to play the flame game and respond to
a few of your gripes.

>I will fetch the 'MSDOS PDstuff III' tape from my vault tomorrow, and
>upload the PD BIOS to plains.NoDak.EDU , directory ftp_contrib.

Uh hu.  And then what are you going to do?  From the README file in that
directory:

}}} Once you place something here, send mail to minix@plains.nodak.edu
||| telling who you are, what you contributed and where it should be in the
}}} archive.  If you do not do this, your files will disappear!

It seems quite a few people have been dumping random bits into that
directory without telling me about them.  Because of the default umask of
the ftp daemon, only owner and group can read these files -- the uid that
runs the archive server cannot.  So I get mail users bittching at me.  How
nice of you.

	I'm instating a new policy: if something sits in ftp_contrib
	for a week, it gets blown away.

I find it... "intersting" that you can dump things like this over here via
FTP, but you seem unable to dump cdiffs for your "Enhanced Minix" ...

In this electronic world, when something becomes "stable", it's obsolete.

Will you get off your cloud?  Both your "MUGNET" networks and "Advanced
MINIX" projects have been more hot air than hot water.  With MUGNET you sat
back and talked talked talked until someone else (Guy, Mike, Jim, ME) did
what needed to be done for you, with you at the egocenter of the universe.
I don't think I'm the only one whose gotten fed up with dealing with you.

Would you quit stomping on Andy's feet?  Get real: he created a solid
platform (MINIX 1.1) for the rest of us to build on.  How many lines of code
was 1.1?  Something like 57,000 if I recall.  And a textbook describing it.

Now, from all indications I get, you want to give away what he built.  This
may sound vengeful, but I'd like to see someone whose gotten your Advanced
Minix make up a cdiff kit (which, I understand, would be considered by those
who hold Minix's reigns to be cosure) and give it away to everybody you
won't.

1.1 was a crude system in relation to today's (BSD) Unix, but it provided a
skeleton for Anyone to add to.  Andy took a lot from the net, but in return
he gave us "FREE" upgrades.  No, not xx% off with your serial number but
whatever it costs you to get it from the net.  Anyone (in the US :-) with
the desire and a modem can get on The Net, either as their own system or
through one of the many Public Access systems.  Sure, upgrading isn't all
fun and games but that's what you get for free.  And, really, isn't it kinda
fun?  Sure beats playing space invaders ;-)
--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)

amcintos@savanna-emh1.army.mil (Alfred C. McIntosh Jr.) (05/28/91)

Thanks for clearing the air. This is a community effort. Flames should be addressed
to the individual not the whole net. Extremes in point of view detract from
achieving a goal - like making minix better for the common good.
Al McIntosh