[comp.os.minix] MacMinix & System 7.0 don't seem to work

TRADER@cup.portal.com (Paul Vincent McGinnis) (05/26/91)

I apologize in advance if I missed any message on this subject...

Today, I've been playing "Thrill Seeker". I just put Apple's System 7.0 on
my Mac SE/30 - MacMinix now blows up during boot. I get a message something
along the lines of "Memory manager panic error-unable to load RAM disk" and
then the Mac locks up tight and requires a hardware reset.

Of course, being familiar with earlier Systems, I used BootMan to boost
the System Heap size. However, it seems like System 7.0 handles System Heap
differently and this didn't change the situation.

Since I don't have a lot of time to play with this due to other projects,
I was wondering if anyone had any infinite words of wisdom about running
MacMinix 1.5.1 with System 7.0 .... Probably, I will get responses like,
"Never trust any software product whose version number ends in 0", but
maybe, someone out there has got MacMinix to work with System 7.0.

Paul McGinnis / TRADER@cup.portal.com
"Ooops is a word that should never be used around mainframe people..."

jba@gorm.ruc.dk (Jan B.Andersen 19.1 46757781-2439) (05/29/91)

TRADER@cup.portal.com (Paul Vincent McGinnis) writes:

>Since I don't have a lot of time to play with this due to other projects,
>I was wondering if anyone had any infinite words of wisdom about running
>MacMinix 1.5.1 with System 7.0 ....

Don't have lot of time or infinite words of wisdow, but it appears to
run quite well on my Sys 7 IIsi 5MB (no faked memory). I don't use the
RAM-disk though. I did a 'while true do; date; sleep 10; done' which
used to crash under Multifinder in 6.0.7 in about 4-5 minutes, but
so far it hasn't crashed un 7.0 (but I haven't let it run for hours...).

The 'o' still doesn't work when I select the danish keyboard...

--
     / | /  RUC, Hus 19,1     jba@dat.ruc.dk      { o_o }    | SIMULA does it |