[comp.os.minix] MINIX questions

cs504aa@unm-la.UUCP (`The Boy in the Box') (03/18/87)

I ordered a copy of The Book at the beginning of the month from
a local bookstore.  They claimed it would be in in three weeks.
Yesterday I got a call and they said the warehouse is out of stock
and it will take at least another month.  AARGGHHHH!

The reason I am posting this is that I have decided to send in
for the disks from P-H before I get the book.  (With the way
the disks have been delayed, both may arrive at roughly the
same time :-) )  Before I send in my $79.95, I have a few
questions to ask:

1.  My PC is `between sizes' in memory - it has 512 K, not 256
    or 640.  How easy is it to modify the source of the 256K
    minix to make it take advantage of the full 512K on my PC?
    Pointers on exactly what modules to modify would be especially
    helpful.  On the same subject, how much difference is there
    between the 256 and 640 versions?  Are there any significant
    features missing in the 256 that could work on my PC's 512K
    of memory?

2.  My computer is an XT with the standard 20meg IBM hard disk.
    How easy is it to get minix to use a disk partitioned with
    fdisk?

3.  Does minix have any utilities that allow it to read files
    from DOS formatted floppy or hard disks and convert them
    to mimix format?  What about the ability to run a DOS
    executable (.EXE or .COM) file from under minix?

4.  What kind of floating point code does the minix C compiler
    generate?  Is is necessary to have an 8087 math chip or
    is a floating point emulator included?

5.  From several other articles in this newsgroup, I have gotten the
    impression that minix does not have a device driver for the
    RS232 port.  Is this true?

6.  I have had the oppertunity to see an AT running minix.  I could
    not locate the standard editor, ed(1), anywhere on the system.
    There was a screen editor called mined.  Is it possible to
    place mined into an ed-like mode?  (Ed can be very useful
    in shell scripts and the like.)  Does ed exist at all on minix?

Please reply directly to me and I will summarize to the net in
a week or so.  Thanks for your patience in reading through all
these simple questions!
--
[Ignore all other names    ]-->  David Barts  N5JRN      "The Boy in the Box"
|in the header and else-   |     unm-la!cs504aa@lanl.arpa
[where.  They are aliases. ]     ...ihnp4!lanl!unm-la!cs504aa

ugbinns@sunybcs.UUCP (03/19/87)

I have a few questions to ask myself. I apologize if they are *too* trivial,
but I'm not familiar with PC's and answers to these questions will help.

1. I intend to but a clone *specifically* so I can use minix. I need one
   with 640K, 40M hard drive, and 1.2M floppy (AT compatable).
   I'd appreciate any experiences, good OR bad.

2. Will I easily be able to use my hard disk for other applications ?
   Anything I should know about using/buying a hard drive ?

3. Does minix support the use of a EGA or RGB monitor ?

4. Is there telecommunications support ?? or can I download to DOS with
   a software package and transfer to minix ??

Thanks for your time and effort... please do respond.
Send e-mail directly to me, I will be sure to summarize (I'm sure others
have the same questions).

    Leonard Binns           send e-mail BITNET: ugbinns@ubunix.bitnet
                            or (less prefered): acscljb@ubvms.bitnet
                                          UUCP: ugbinns@sunybcs.UUCP

japplega@csm9a.UUCP (03/27/87)

Does anyone have a list of the machines that MINIX has been succesfully
tested on?  In particular, I am interested in it's compatibility with the
Tandy 1000A and the Texas Instruments Business Pro.  Also does the PC
(8088) version also run on 286 machines and is everything you need on the
VAX tape to create PC executables?

Joe Applegate : Colorado School of Mines Computing Center

        {seismo, hplabs}!hao!isis!csm9a!japplega

cs504aa@unm-la.UUCP (03/28/87)

A week or so ago I posted to the net some simple MINIX questions,
because my book was backordered and not expected for another month.

Miracle of miracles, it actually came in ahead of time!  Naturally,
I no longer need answers to the questions I posted.  Thanks to
browman@bugs.nosc.mil and braner@amvax.tn.cornell.edu for their
replies.  For anyone who's curious, here's the answers I got:

	Order the 640K minix for a 512K PC.  It will fit with a
	few minor adjustments, and the C compiler is NOT included
	in the 256K version.

	There are MINIX utilities which read from and write to
	standard DOS diskettes.

	There is a utility that converts a DOS-style .EXE file
	to a MINIX a.out file, but the a.out file won't work
	if there were any BIOS calls in the .EXE file.  (I
	found this out from reading the book last night.)

	There is no ed(1) in MINIX.

	DOS and MINIX partitions with FDISK should work, but the
	MINIX hard disk driver seems buggy.

Now for another request.  The Book does not mention hard disks anywhere
(there is a sentence or two somewhere that says that hard disks are
deliberately not discussed for sake of simplicity), except to state in
Appendix C that one should look in /doc for more info on hard disks.
I would like to arrange for someone to mail me the relevant files in
/doc.  (I do not have much money and want to be 99% sure that my
$79.95 will be well spent.)  Do NOT mail the files themselves, just
a short message saying you are willing to send them.

		Thanks again.
--
[Ignore all other names    ]-->  David Barts  N5JRN      "The Boy in the Box"
|in the header and else-   |     unm-la!cs504aa@lanl.arpa
[where.  They are aliases. ]     ...ihnp4!lanl!unm-la!cs504aa

ugbinns@sunybcs.UUCP (04/03/87)

Here is a summary to the questions I asked a while back. My thanks to
Andy Tanenbaum for his responce.

For those of you who are now posting compatability to clones, please
be sure to mention if you are using a hard drive. (and clock speed ?)

In article <2634@sunybcs.UUCP> you write:

>2. Will I easily be able to use my hard disk for other applications ?
>   Anything I should know about using/buying a hard drive ?

MINIX is quite happy to co-exist on a hard disk with non-MINIX partitions.
You should be aware that MINIX only supports the XT and original AT (6 MHz)
hard disks.  For other ones, you will have to modify the driver.

>3. Does minix support the use of a EGA or RGB monitor ?

RGB yes, EGA, no.  I don't know why, but there is some silly bug involved
with EGA.  I am trying to find it, but so far, no luck.

>4. Is there telecommunications support ?? or can I download to DOS with
>   a software package and transfer to minix ??
No telecomm yet, but you can read DOS disks, so if you can telecomm to DOS
and make disks, you can read them into MINIX later.

     Leonard Binns           send e-mail BITNET: ugbinns@ubunix.bitnet
					     or: ugbinns@sunybcs.bitnet
                             or (less prefered): acscljb@ubvms.bitnet

jtfrankle@dasys1.UUCP (John Frankle) (05/02/88)

This may have appeared on the net about two weeks ago and therefore apologize
for a repeat. Unfortunately my news source crashed at the time I was posting
and therefore do not know if it ever made it. Also since I was off the net for
several days after, I do not know if there were any replies. Appreciate
everyones patients and understanding. Anyway----

Several questions concerning MINIX. Appreciate if A. Tanenbaum could answer
for the benefit of the newsgroup.:

1. From recent netnews it appears that Minix v. 1.2 is now being shipped by
   Prentice-Hall.
   Does P-H provide an upgrade for owners of Minix v. 1.1 at a price less than
   $80 ?

2. What version of the Minix C Compiler is being provided with Minix V. 1.2 ?
   Is it also v. 1.2 ?

3. Have any provisions been made to distribute the binary (only) of the  Minix
   C compiler v. 1.2 at a price less than $100 ?

4. Has anyone figured out how to send e-mail to ast? I have tried  routing
   to mcvax and then to botter with no results. I see from my backbone map
   that links to mcvax are 'restricted', could that be the problem?

  Appreciate answers on the above. Thank You.
--
John Frankle
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX

popkin@cs.odu.edu (The Forgotten One.....) (02/07/91)

I have a very important questions about minix, as many
people as you want can respond to them.. Please mail
me at popkin@xanth.cs.odu.edu Thanks!!!! the more the merrier :-)

I have a pc xt.. 48 mg hd.

does minix support any windowing and where can I get it?
what language compilers and where to get them are there for minix??
whats a good archive site for minix?
where can I get an emacs look alike for minix?
can some one please mail me the minix info sheet I say posted here a while back?
also I want to boot minix for my hd, I have dos and minix on it? what do i do?
is there a boot switch too??

Thanks soooo Much...

brian

popkin@xanth.cs.odu.edu
| In-Real-Life: Brian Popkin, Computer Science Major, Old Dominion University |
| Email-Address: popkin@cs.odu.edu or popkin@xanth.cs.odu.edu                 |
| You Only Live Life Once, Party Hard!!!!                                     |

sww@versatc.versatec.COM (Stephan Wendl x4389) (02/28/91)

These questions may have been asked before. Please bear with me if do
ask them again.

Does Minix in its current form support the following features (or are
they planned to be supported)

System V IPC messages (if not, is there an equivalent to it?)

Multiple DMA support for (custom) device drivers.

Job control. (A la berkely)

Signal compatibility with BSD or System V signal handling of the
following signals:
	SIGINT, SIGHUP, SIGCLD, SIGUSR1, SIGQUIT, SIGTSTP
	SIGWINCH, SIGTTOU, SIGALRM

Thanks for your help
Stephan W. Wendl

prkeen@nuchat.sccsi.com (Phillip Keen) (04/07/91)

Hello Minixers,

I'm about to upgrade to MINIX and would like to know,

  - Is there still any support for MINIX on 286 systems
  - What is the current version for 286?
  - What extensions are there available for the 286 version
  - Is the 286 version the same version as the 386 or will
    I be getting a slightly older version?
  - Are there any man pages available for Minix?
  - Are there any BBS systems operating on Minix.  If so
    what software and utilities are they using?
  - Would it be possible to operate a public access UNIX
    and a public access USENET system under the Minix
    Operating system?
  - Is there anybody out there working on a X-windows
    interface for MINIX.  Or is there something around
    yet - as my Dad is interested in graphical applications,
    but I think I could get PD software running under any
    UNIX system with X-windows.

Not to get me wrong, but I am using a 12 mhz 80286, but do
plan on upgrading to 386. Any pointers would highly be appreciated.
Phillip Keen

--
----
prkeen@nuchat            Prk Consulting  +1 713 941 5467 [data]

waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (04/16/91)

prkeen@nuchat.sccsi.com (Phillip Keen) wrote:
> Hello Minixers,
>
> I'm about to upgrade to MINIX and would like to know,
>
>   - Is there still any support for MINIX on 286 systems
Yes.

>   - What is the current version for 286?
1.5.10 or Advanced MINIX 1.5.10E

>   - What extensions are there available for the 286 version
Huh? What more is there except Protected mode?

>   - Is the 286 version the same version as the 386 or will
>     I be getting a slightly older version?
No, it's the same for PM.  The 386 Native Mode is different, though..

>   - Are there any man pages available for Minix?
Yes, on plains.nodak.edu

>   - Are there any BBS systems operating on Minix.  If so
>     what software and utilities are they using?
Yes.  You can use XBBS, MBase II/X, or... (Vincent? Listening?)

>   - Would it be possible to operate a public access UNIX
>     and a public access USENET system under the Minix
>     Operating system?
Yes, I do.

>   - Is there anybody out there working on a X-windows
>     interface for MINIX.  Or is there something around
>     yet - as my Dad is interested in graphical applications,
>     but I think I could get PD software running under any
>     UNIX system with X-windows.
Yes, Thomas Heller is doing that.

> Not to get me wrong, but I am using a 12 mhz 80286, but do
> plan on upgrading to 386. Any pointers would highly be appreciated.

info *help = &see.above;

Fred.
--
MicroWalt Corporation, for MINIX Development	waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org
Tel (+31) 252 230 205, Hoefbladhof  27, 2215 DV  VOORHOUT, The Netherlands

asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) (05/30/91)

read MINIX as PC-MINIX below

1) Is there support for a second HD in MINIX? How?
2) Is there an Xwindows implementation for MINIX
3) How do you give your system a name in MINIX?
4) How do you use the modem?
5) Are there any other shells out there for MINIX?
6) Is there any work being done on job-control for MINIX?
7) If I install DOS on C: and MINIX on successive hd partitions,
   what do I need to do to boot MINIX?

		Thanx
			Bruce

---------
                                   ###             ##
Courtesy of Bruce Varney           ###               #
aka -> The Grand Master                               #
asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu             ###    #####       #
PUCC                               ###                #
;-)                                 #                #
;'>                                #               ##

gdtltr@brahms.udel.edu (gdtltr@limbo.org (The Befuddled One)) (05/30/91)

In article <12930@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) writes:
=>
=>
=>read MINIX as PC-MINIX below
=>
=>1) Is there support for a second HD in MINIX? How?

   Yes. /dev/hd[5-9].

=>2) Is there an Xwindows implementation for MINIX

   No.

=>3) How do you give your system a name in MINIX?

cat > /bin/hostname
#!/bin/sh

echo mysystemname.mydomain
^D
chmod a+rx /bin/hostname

=>4) How do you use the modem?

   /dev/ttyX, and /etc/ttytab. The manual explains the later.

=>5) Are there any other shells out there for MINIX?

   Yes, a few. I know of the clam shell, but there are others. I think this
is in the FAQ list.

=>6) Is there any work being done on job-control for MINIX?

   Who knows? Maybe someone somewhere is working on it, but I wouldn't
hold my breath. It certainly will never be in a standard release.

=>7) If I install DOS on C: and MINIX on successive hd partitions,
=>   what do I need to do to boot MINIX?
=>
   I just boot off floppy when I want to use Minix & change the root
partition to /dev/hd2. There are also things like shoelace to make things
a little easier. (?)

=>		Thanx
=>			Bruce
=>