[comp.os.minix] Minix on a Gateway 2000 ?

bshaw@hcmv2.ti.com (bob shaw) (05/20/91)

I am seriously considering purchasing  Minix 1.5.
I have a Gateway 2000  386 - 33 with Ultrastore Controller and
320 mbyte drive  , ATI - VGA/EGA card, no coprocessor.

Would appreciate any comments on the above configuration and Minix
before I purchase this package.

Would like to partition part for  Dos (4.02) and part for Minix.

Thanks in advance for any advice/ comments.

Thanks

Bob Shaw   Texas Instruments  Dallas

bshaw@hcvdl.vdl.ti.com

crutcher@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Paul Crutcher) (05/20/91)

bshaw@hcmv2.ti.com (bob shaw) writes:

>I am seriously considering purchasing  Minix 1.5.
>I have a Gateway 2000  386 - 33 with Ultrastore Controller and
>320 mbyte drive  , ATI - VGA/EGA card, no coprocessor.

This exactly the same system I have, except with a coprocessor.

>Would appreciate any comments on the above configuration and Minix
>before I purchase this package.

I can't get minix 1.5 to boot.  Fortunately I have another computer
that I run it on for now, but I would REALLY like to solve this problem.
My guess is that it has something to do with the 1.2 Meg floppy drive
or controller.  Every boot disk I have tried results in an error (but they
boot fine on my Tandy 1000HX!).  It prints the Booting Minix ... line
on the top of the screen and then on the next line says Read Error. Automatic
Reboot, or something like that.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Has anyone solved this problem?

Sorry I can't offer any more than this.

-Paul

crutcher@cs.pdx.edu

"Kerry F. Owens" <owens@unix1.j6.eucom.mil> (05/30/91)

> Paul Crutcher writes:
>
> bshaw@hcmv2.ti.com (bob shaw) writes:
>
> >Would appreciate any comments on the above configuration and Minix
> >before I purchase this package.
>
> I can't get minix 1.5 to boot.  Fortunately I have another computer
> that I run it on for now, but I would REALLY like to solve this problem.
> My guess is that it has something to do with the 1.2 Meg floppy drive
> or controller.  Every boot disk I have tried results in an error (but they
> boot fine on my Tandy 1000HX!).  It prints the Booting Minix ... line
> on the top of the screen and then on the next line says Read Error. Automatic
> Reboot, or something like that.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?  Has anyone solved this problem?
>
> Sorry I can't offer any more than this.

I had just ftp'd a copy of the MINIX 1.5 Demo Disk and went on a trip to the
USA.  I was able to test the Demo on a 486 (I forget whos it was) and
it worked fine!  It booted but only recognized 1 MB of the 4 MB installed.

Another friend had a Gateway 2000 386 w/1 MB and an SCSI controler
(I think it is an ST02 but I'm not sure) and got the same behavior
that Paul describes.

Sorry it is not much to go on but I thought I would pass it along.
Kerry F Owens
American:	Box 453, APO NY 09128
German:		Brand Str 13, 7032 Sindelfingen 7 FRG
Internet:	owens@unix1.j6.eucom.mil