[comp.os.minix] MacMinix / UUCP Help Please

paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) (05/21/91)

Hello MacMinix Users

I am trying to get uucp, wmail, umail, wnews and tass working on my
venerable MacPlus.  There have been many successes, and just a few
failures.  [wu]mail works fine. wnews and tass work fine (I like tass!).
My main problems are with uucico. The protocol gets hung while retrying
after a failure ("RJ out of window" message). I can transfer very small
files, but anything above half-a-dozen lines of text invariably causes
a problem.

I desperately need to contact other MacMinix/UUCP users who are trying
to do the same as me. Has anybody succeeded?

My hardware is MacPlus with 4MB RAM, 20MB harddisk, very early MacPlus
motherboard (my machine is an original 1984, 128 KB RAM upgraded when
the upgrade became first available in Canada - is my problem with the
ROMs???).

My software is MacMinix 1.5 upgraded with some of Fred van Kempen's
"Advanced Minix" stuff, namely init/inittab and getty/gettydef.

Please e-mail me at paul@ukpoit.co.uk and when "We" have solved the
problem, I'll report back to comp.os.minix.

Paul Wood
work: paul@ukpoit.co.uk
      iT, The Post Office, Old Road, Chesterfield, England, S40 3QT
      phone: +44 246 214256, fax: +44 246 214503
home: paul@max.uk.mugnet.org  [ DON'T USE THIS AT THE MOMENT :-) ]
      31, Buttermere Drive, Dronfield Woodhouse, Sheffield, England, S18 5PX
--
Paul Wood                  [ e-mail: paul@ukpoit.co.uk or ...!ukc!ukpoit!paul ]
                    [ address: iT, Barker Lane, Chesterfield, England S40 1DY ]

ralf@ptavv.ka.sub.org (Ralf Wenk) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May21.120721.19016@ukpoit.co.uk> paul@ukpoit.co.uk
(Paul Wood) writes:
> My main problems are with uucico. The protocol gets hung while retrying
> after a failure ("RJ out of window" message). I can transfer very small
> files, but anything above half-a-dozen lines of text invariably causes
> a problem.
>
> I desperately need to contact other MacMinix/UUCP users who are trying
> to do the same as me. Has anybody succeeded?

I do not use MacMinix but MINIX ST and have not found this bug (yet).
Sometimes a RJ will pass and sometimes it will not. I have a full log
of a failing RJ but can not see the real cause. But ...
There was an other bug in the uucico with sending a RJ to the remote
site. This bug will stop the transfer because a right (HDB) implementation
will not send the expected package. The fix is below. May be the mistake
how to interpret a RJ message causes the first error too.

	} else if (neednack) {
/* disabled because of protocoll violation. RW 25.Nov.90
		gspack(TT_CTRL, X_RJ, (recv + 1) & 7,
				(unsigned char *)NULL, 0);
*/
		gspack(TT_CTRL, X_RJ, recv, (unsigned char *)NULL, 0);
		neednack = 0;
		printmsg(M_MEDPROTO, "Sending RJ... recv=%d", recv);

Ralf Wenk -- ralf@ptavv.ka.sub.org

ralf@ptavv.ka.sub.org (Ralf Wenk) (06/02/91)

(Paul Wood) writes:
> My main problems are with uucico. The protocol gets hung while retrying
> after a failure ("RJ out of window" message). I can transfer very small
> files, but anything above half-a-dozen lines of text invariably causes
> a problem.
>
> I desperately need to contact other MacMinix/UUCP users who are trying
> to do the same as me. Has anybody succeeded?

It looks like I have a fix for this problem. The 'g' protocol description
says that the packet number in the reject message is the number of the
last correctly received packet. The MINIX uucico thinks it is the number
of the rejected packet. So the between()-test looks right but fails in
reality. E.g. uucico gets an ACK for packet 3, increments the "1st packet
in output window" counter to 4 and now gets a reject with contains the
number 3. With a window size of 3 between(4,3,7) will fail.

The fix is simple because the MINIX uucico uses the "number of the
rejected package" for retransmission.

*** uucico.c.old	Sun Jun  1 22:57:10 1991
--- uucico.c	Sat Jun  2 00:05:40 1991
*** 1968,1969 ****
--- 1968,1970 ----
  				printmsg(M_MEDPROTO, "got RJ yyy=%d", yyy);
+ 				yyy = ( yyy + 1 ) & 7;	/* resend packet # */
  				if (between(send,yyy,next)) {

Ralf Wenk -- ralf@ptavv.ka.sub.org