[comp.os.minix] Information on Amiga MINIX needed

	I didn't get a response the first time, so I'm hoping to
hear from someone who said "Oh, someone else'll tell him." 8-)

	I'm trying to get a hold of Amiga MINIX. I need it for a
class in Operating Systems. Our school is allowed to distribute
MINIX for the PC and Mac to students for free, however they do
not handle the Amiga at all. It seems like if I had a Mac it is
free but since I have an Amiga it is $180 and it just seems
ridiculous.
	Thanks,
	-- Ethan

Now the world has gone to bed,		Now I lay me down to sleep,
Darkness won't engulf my head,		Try to count electric sheep,
I can see by infrared,			Sweet dream wishes you can keep,
How I hate the night.			How I hate the night.   -- Marvin

tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu (Tyler Sarna) (05/31/91)

Ethan Solomita wrote:

> [can get PC, Mac minix for free from school, but not Amiga]

> free but since I have an Amiga it is $180 and it just seems
> ridiculous.

The only help I can give is that it costs $169, not $180. You
might be able to find it for less elsewhere. Other than that, I
think the ony thing you can do is pester the school and/or P-H.

--
Tyler "Ty" Sarna                            tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu

           "Death therapy, Bob. It's a guaranteed cure."

KENC@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Ken Corey, CSCI Major...) (05/31/91)

>	I didn't get a response the first time, so I'm hoping to
>hear from someone who said "Oh, someone else'll tell him." 8-)
>
>	I'm trying to get a hold of Amiga MINIX. I need it for a
>class in Operating Systems. Our school is allowed to distribute
>MINIX for the PC and Mac to students for free, however they do
>not handle the Amiga at all. It seems like if I had a Mac it is
>free but since I have an Amiga it is $180 and it just seems
>ridiculous.
>	Thanks,
>	-- Ethan

Good luck Ethan!  I DID go ahead and buy MacMinix here, cause the school knew
nothing about it.  Anyway, I've got an ST next to my mac, and I wanted to get
the network protocols going between the two.

Needless to say, (Even though I HAD plopped my money down) nobody cared to give
me a copy.  It has since become academic, but the only way to get a copy is to
find someone with Amigaminix, and post to them directly.

Tanenbaum has said that the liscense for a single owner of Minix allows him to
make two backups.  He can legally give you one of these backups.  However, the
net looks on this as stealing, so it may not be worth the effort.

\  Ken Corey, VAX/Unix Programmer/Operator  (And GOD am I confused...;)  /
 \          kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu  ken@isect.lonestar.org               /

1013734@hydra.maths.unsw.OZ.AU (06/03/91)

>Ethan Solomita wrote:
>> free but since I have an Amiga it is $180 and it just seems
>> ridiculous.
>
>The only help I can give is that it costs $169, not $180. You
>might be able to find it for less elsewhere. Other than that, I
>think the ony thing you can do is pester the school and/or P-H.

The price depends on where you buy it. When I go to the university CO-OP
bookshop, they ask just over $150 for MINIX 1.5 and claim that the retail
price is over $200 (I never believed these people, They wont even let you
have a look at the manuals to see what you are really getting. They told
me that P-H send them an empty box for display.... :-O

Anyway, CO-OP claims that they will only sell computer software to members
so if you are not a member you'll have to fork out about $15 bucks to join.
BTW It is a life membership.

>--
>Tyler "Ty" Sarna                            tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu
>
>           "Death therapy, Bob. It's a guaranteed cure."

		Peter Urbanec
			 1013734@hydra.maths.unsw.oz.au
			s1013734@spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au

		---- The only sin is stupidity. ----

davidp@kau1.kodak.com (David Purdue) (06/04/91)

Peter Urbanec <1013734@hydra.maths.unsw.oz.au> writes:
> The price depends on where you buy it. When I go to the university CO-OP
> bookshop, they ask just over $150 for MINIX 1.5 and claim that the retail
> price is over $200 (I never believed these people, They wont even let you
> have a look at the manuals to see what you are really getting. They told
> me that P-H send them an empty box for display.... :-O

Well, don't get too confused with prices quoted on the net here. The $169
you see a lot is the US price in US dollars.

The reccommended retail price from P-H Australia is A$249.95. So if you
can get it for $150 that is a 40% discount, better than what the co-op
usually gives.

(Though I do agree - you can't trust the buggers.)

							DavidP
=====
David Purdue
Advanced Imaging Systems Development Centre
Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd
Phone: +61 3 353 3913   Fax: +61 3 353 2987   Email: davidp@Kodak.COM