[comp.os.minix] Better DOS programs, anyone?

dls@genco.bungi.com (Dave L. Smith) (06/04/91)

I can't take it any more.  On SCO Xenix 2.3.3, my doscp takes SO
long to copy files!  Sometimes it runs out of memory!  Is there an
alternative method?  (No, I don't have VP/ix - will anyone sell me
a copy for cheap?)  I have used the DOS utilities under Minix, and
in many cases Minix will read and write DOS files FASTER than DOS.
I would hope that there would that Xenix would be able to do so somehow.
Perhaps someone has ported the Minix utilities to Xenix?  If not,
I may - before I go insane waiting for doscp to finish.

Thanks,
Dave Smith

ro@thp.uni-koeln.de (Rainer Orth) (06/06/91)

In article <699@genco.bungi.com> dls@genco.bungi.com (Dave L. Smith) writes:

> I can't take it any more.  On SCO Xenix 2.3.3, my doscp takes SO
> long to copy files!  Sometimes it runs out of memory!  Is there an
> alternative method?  (No, I don't have VP/ix - will anyone sell me
> a copy for cheap?)  I have used the DOS utilities under Minix, and
> in many cases Minix will read and write DOS files FASTER than DOS.
> I would hope that there would that Xenix would be able to do so somehow.
> Perhaps someone has ported the Minix utilities to Xenix?  If not,
> I may - before I go insane waiting for doscp to finish.

Try mtools version 2.0.4 from

	cerl.cecer.army.mil [129.229.1.101]
	~ftp/pub/mtools/mtools_sh.[1-4].Z

I use it both on a SparcStation 1+ or 2 running SunOS 4.1 and on
my Atari/ST at home running Minix 1.6.15.

On the sparc its nearly twice as fast as the new dos filesystem introduced
in SunOS 4.1.1, on the atari more than twice as fast as the tos command suite
(which is equivalent to the dos command on Minix/PC.)

Hope this helps.

	Rainer
Rainer Orth, Institute of Theoretical Physics, University of Cologne

Internet: ro@thp.Uni-Koeln.DE

bunnell@asel.udel.edu (Tim Bunnell) (06/06/91)

I've seen several comments/questions lately about accessing DOS from Minix so
this seems apropos:

There is a package of PD programs for accessing DOS filesystems from
Unix systems called mtools. With very little effort this package
compiles (ACK compiler) and runs under (PC) Minix 1.5.10. It is a very
complete set of utilities that allow reading writing, deleting, making
directories, etc., pretty much the works. I've only really exercised the
file copy and directory listing commands, but those have worked fine. The
major change to mtools for MINIX was a bit of code to prevent requests for
>=32768 bytes in read calls. I can send a copy of the patches I came up with
for Minix to anyone who is interested. I'll post the patches if there is
much interest.

The mtools package is on cerl.cecer.army.mil (129.229.1.101) in pub/mtools
and probably many other places as well.

Tim Bunnell
<bunnell@udel.edu>