[comp.os.minix] Imperial vs Metric

jonathan@ukmug.uk.mugnet.org (Jonathan Allen) (06/01/91)

Andy Tannenbaum (ast@vu.cs.nl) wrote:
> People in the U.S. just assume that the whole world uses inches

All the best people do :-)

The English still do use inches, although our government seems bent on
signing over our sovereignty to the EEC.  A lot of us still work in
pounds and ounces, and would buy our petrol in gallons too if the multi-
national oil corporations hadn't taken a totally undemocratic unilateral
decision to relabel all the pumps in metric.

As for electrical outlets, well, look at the AIX definition of 'malloc',
or the varied flavours of 'mail' (mmdf, sendmail, smail etc).  Then
there are sockets, TC/IP, ftp and many more.

etj90@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Khaos) (06/05/91)

In <9106011628@ukmug.uk.mugnet.org> jonathan@ukmug.uk.mugnet.org (Jonathan Allen) writes:
(In comp.os.minix too, the dead-head)
>Andy Tannenbaum (ast@vu.cs.nl) wrote:
>> People in the U.S. just assume that the whole world uses inches
>All the best people do :-)

==He does. (sneer) Only oldsters do nowadays in England you know.

>The English still do use inches, although our government seems bent on

Speak for yourself.
--
Quote: "I am Khaos."

hampe@nas.nasa.gov (Andrew F. Hampe) (06/08/91)

In article <7998@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, etj90@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Khaos) writes:
|> In <9106011628@ukmug.uk.mugnet.org> jonathan@ukmug.uk.mugnet.org
(Jonathan Allen) writes:
|> (In comp.os.minix too, the dead-head)
|> >All the best people do :-)
|>
|> ==He does. (sneer) Only oldsters do nowadays in England you know.
|>
|> >The English still do use inches, although our government seems bent on
|>
|> Speak for yourself.

Dynamite Line there Pimple Picking Pine Head!!!!

So Be Careful what you Say about your Elders!

Why When I was Growing Up We had Respect for
Traditional Family Values and the Wisdom of
Our Elders! That's the Problem with all of
you young puppies....

ciao
drieux

no wonder society is collapsing in an
abyss of social anarchy and pastel clothing.