[comp.os.minix] Amiga Minix FINAL VERSION AVAILABLE!

sreiz@cs.vu.nl (Steven Reiz) (06/05/91)

A new, much improved, version of Amiga Minix is available for
beta-testing NOW! Some new features include:

- The harddisk driver works with the A590, A2091 and A3000.
- Minix can use all A3000 32-bit fastmem.
- Minix runs on 68000, 68010, 68020 and 68030 processors.
- Both instruction- and data-cache can be enabled.
  This can be done with the SetCPU or 2.0 CPU command, before
  minix is booted.
- The serial task works properly with zmodem up to 9600 baud.
- Disk fonts can be used as the minix font, by using the -fn
  option of the loader.
- The minix readclock binary is no longer needed, the AmigaDOS
  time is now used for minix.

Please everyone: test this version on as many different configurations
possible! Test it thoroughly!  If we don't hear of any problems with
this version, we will make it an 'official release' and post source
patches to comp.os.minix in about a week.

The new version can be found on ftp.cs.vu.nl [130.37.24.6] in
/pub/sreiz/minix.  If you can't ftp I'm willing to send it to
you by email. Let me know if you don't know what to do with .lzh
files.

This new version is, once again, only an update. You will need the
full Amiga Minix 1.5 distribution, as published by PH, to be able to
use it.

However, if I get enough requests for a demo version of Amiga Minix,
I might be willing to make it, so that people like Ethan (Hi Ethan!
Hi Larry! Hi Peter!) can see that it ain't so bad after all...

Regards,

        Steven Reiz (sreiz@cs.vu.nl)

sreiz@cs.vu.nl (Steven Reiz) (06/07/91)

sreiz@cs.vu.nl (Steven Reiz) writes:

>A new, much improved, version of Amiga Minix is available for
>beta-testing NOW! Some new features include:

>- Minix can use all A3000 32-bit fastmem.

We achieved this by increasing the CLICK_SIZE from 512 bytes to
4096 bytes. One side effect of this change is that some small
programs, e.g. ls, which was chmem-ed to 8192 bytes, will have
to be chmem-ed to a bigger value. 16384 should probably be enough
to fix all problems. So, if a program doesn't work correctly, try
chmem +8192 <program>. Just thought I'd mention it, so that you'll
all know that it's a feature, not a bug :-)

Regards,

	Steven Reiz

kevin@nuchat.sccsi.com (Kevin Brown) (06/09/91)

In article <10169@star.cs.vu.nl> sreiz@cs.vu.nl (Steven Reiz) writes:
>sreiz@cs.vu.nl (Steven Reiz) writes:
>
>>A new, much improved, version of Amiga Minix is available for
>>beta-testing NOW! Some new features include:
>
>>- Minix can use all A3000 32-bit fastmem.
>
>We achieved this by increasing the CLICK_SIZE from 512 bytes to
>4096 bytes. One side effect of this change is that some small
>programs, e.g. ls, which was chmem-ed to 8192 bytes, will have
>to be chmem-ed to a bigger value. 16384 should probably be enough
>to fix all problems. So, if a program doesn't work correctly, try
>chmem +8192 <program>. Just thought I'd mention it, so that you'll
>all know that it's a feature, not a bug :-)

A warning if the above is true.  Make sure that *all* your mandatory
binaries have been changed appropriately before you go to boot the new
disk (if possible!).  The reason is that unless you do so, the binaries
that are used in the boot sequence might not work properly, and Bad Things
might happen as a result.

So be *real* careful, e.g. by backing up all the disks you're going to use.

--
Kevin Brown						    Disclaimer: huh?
kevin@nuchat.sccsi.com				kevin@taronga.hackercorp.com

Minix -- the Unix[tm] of the 90's.  System V -- the Multics of the 90's.  :-)