[comp.os.minix] Minix Demo Disk and Compatability...

routh@eltanin.rtp.semi.harris.com (Kevin Routh x622) (06/10/91)

I have a copy of the demo disk for Minix.  I am shopping for a 386
based computer was wondering if the demo disk is a good check for Minix-
compatability.  If the demo boots and runs fine on the machine, will I
be able to run real Minix on the same machine?  What should I look out
for?  Please advise via e-mail or posting to this newsgroup.  Thanks.
--
Kevin Routh (routh@rtp.semi.harris.com)
Harris Corporation, Durham, NC

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun10.123838.13975@mlb.semi.harris.com> routh@eltanin.rtp.semi.harris.com (Kevin Routh x622) writes:
>I have a copy of the demo disk for Minix.  I am shopping for a 386
>based computer was wondering if the demo disk is a good check for Minix-
>compatability.

If the demo disk runs, the real thing will certainly run with the BIOS
driver.  Whether it runs in protected mode with one of the real drivers
depends on what kind of disk it has.  But the fact that the BIOS driver
works means you can boot it, install it, and hack on the driver if need be.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)