[comp.os.minix] MINIX 1.6.16 now available by FTP

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (06/07/91)

I have put the cdiffs to go from 1.5 to 1.6.16 on ftp.cs.vu.nl in minix/cdiffs.
You can ftp them.  Needless to say, MINIX itself is not FTPable, just the
cdiffs from 1.5 to 1.6.16.

Glen reports that the beta list has grown so large as to make it unwieldy.
I think what I will do is wait for people who FTP the cdiffs to post their
comments to the net, and then maybe post the whole FTP directory to the net
myself if that seems reasonable.

One thing you must watch out for, and I apologize in advance, is that I am
now running the ACK ANSI C compiler, not the old one.  This means that the
stuff has not been tested with the old compiler.  In general, this is not
a problem, since ANSI C is stricter than K&R C.  However, I also use the
ANSI C libraries.  This means that you must not use a couple of my headers
unless you are using some flavor of ANSI compiler, and even then.

Some hints:

   - use the old ctype.h and stdio.h.
   - change the definition of NULL in stdio.h to ((void *)0)
   - added declaration of popen to stdio.h

Please post comments to the net, and good luck.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

sverre@lars.seri.gov (Sverre Froyen) (06/09/91)

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:

>I have put the cdiffs to go from 1.5 to 1.6.16 on ftp.cs.vu.nl in minix/cdiffs.
>You can ftp them.  Needless to say, MINIX itself is not FTPable, just the
>cdiffs from 1.5 to 1.6.16.

These diffs appear to be incomplete.  For instance, there are no diffs
to the lib files nor to the files in the subdirectories of the command
directory (note also that the commands directory has been renamed command).
The file 1.6.16.crc is also imcomplete.

On another note.  I have never been able to obtain a set of *68K files
that matches the 1.5 crcs.  Could some kind soul with a set that matches
mail them to me.
(E.g. tar cvf <mail-file> `find <1.5-source-dir> -name '*68K' -print`)

Sverre
--
Sverre Froyen
sverre@seri.gov, sunpeaks!seri!sverre

Don Chapman <DCHAPMAN@utkvx.utk.edu> (06/09/91)

  Will it be available from other sites?  For some reason ftp.cs.vu.nl
doesn't work from here.  It gets part way through the sign-on message
and then seems to be out of sync.  The responses to commands seem to
come one message later than they should.  I don't know if it is an
incompatability between systems or what...

Don Chapman <dchapman@utkvx.utk.edu>

michael@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl (Michael Brouwer) (06/10/91)

Hello Minixians,

I ftped ast's cdiffs for going from Minix 1.5.10 to Minix 1.6.16.  I
applied them to AmigaMINIX 1.5.10. When I tryed to compile some of
the new commands I discoverd that some of the include files used by
Minix 1.6.16 were not included with AmigaMINIX.  I don't have my
amiga here but I know that all the files missing were (or should I
say were not) in /usr/include/minix.
The files were:
		minlib.h
		fslib.h
and one or two others.

Also, I didn't see any patches for the lib sources included. I can't
imagine nothing has changed here. There are lot's of patches for the
ST like a vfprintf function which isn't included in Minix 1.6.16.

--
                                        Michael Brouwer

P.S. Any opinions expressed above are not my own, but my vt100's

hp@vmars.tuwien.ac.at (Peter Holzer) (06/10/91)

DCHAPMAN@utkvx.utk.edu (Don Chapman) writes:

>  Will it be available from other sites?  For some reason ftp.cs.vu.nl
>doesn't work from here.  It gets part way through the sign-on message
>and then seems to be out of sync.  The responses to commands seem to
>come one message later than they should.  I don't know if it is an
>incompatability between systems or what...

I just fetched it from ftp.cs.vu.nl and did not encounter any problems.
I will make it available here, too, so people who do not have luck with
Andy's site can try ftp.vmars.tuwien.ac.at, directory
/pub/minix/updates/1.5-1.6.16.

--
|    _  | Peter J. Holzer                       | Think of it   |
| |_|_) | Technical University Vienna           | as evolution  |

smasters@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Shawn Masters) (06/10/91)

	I must have missed it, but what are the changes made between 1.5
and 1.6.16?  If anyone has a description that could be mailed to me I
would be very thankful.

Shawn C. Masters
smasters@cns01.gmu.edu

DCHAPMAN@utkvx.utk.edu (Don Chapman) (06/11/91)

  A special thanks to Peter, ftp.vmars.tuwien.ac.at worked.
Also thanks to Michael for the Uni-Koeln alternative.
  I still don't know why ftp.cs.vu.nl was acting strangely.
I've seen one other machine with similar behavior when I
tried for pub/mtools on cerl.cecer.army.mil.  It too seemed
to be one packet behind the UTKVXn.

Again Thanks,

Don Chapman <dchapman@utkvx.utk.edu>

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (06/11/91)

In article <sverre.676407640@lars> sverre@lars.seri.gov (Sverre Froyen) writes:
>ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>

>These diffs appear to be incomplete.  For instance, there are no diffs
>to the lib files nor to the files in the subdirectories of the command
>directory (note also that the commands directory has been renamed command).
>The file 1.6.16.crc is also imcomplete.

Yes, I think that is true.  I didn't send diffs with the lib because I no
longer use the old lib.  It is totally frozen (like, say, roff).  I did
include new library files that I think are needed.

The directory is still commands, but gets called command during upgrading
to make it short enough for all the suffixes.

I didn't change much in the commands subdirs, so I didn't post them.  I'll
check what is really needed.  Certainly de is needed.

I think the crc list is complete for what I posted.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

sfreed@ariel.unm.edu (Steven Freed CIRT) (06/12/91)

In article <10175@star.cs.vu.nl>, ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:

> Yes, I think that is true.  I didn't send diffs with the lib because I no
> longer use the old lib.  It is totally frozen (like, say, roff).  I did
> include new library files that I think are needed.

Is there a new complete library available? If so, how, where, and how much??
Does it include a math lib? I found it interesting that the header files
for 1.5.10 included prototypes for math functions, but nothing in the
lib itsself.

Also, is the ack compiler the best compiler to use? (hey, no religous
wars, please ;-) I have the ack compiler that came with 1.5.10 from PH.
Is there a newer release? Discussions on pro's and con's would be helpful.
I looked at bcc but the length of the bug list scared me away. (the bug list
for ack may be just as long, but ignorance is bliss ;-) I am currently using
minix on an 8088 PC, but may upgrade soon to an 80286.

I also ftp man pages (can't remember where from) But they seem to be a bit
dated, particularly for system calls and lib functions. It is nice, however
to be able to look in the source code to deal with discrepancies, but man
pages would be more convenient. (or should I write new ones and post??)

--

Steve.                    sfreed@ariel.unm.edu