[comp.os.minix] mini-X textmode problems

Stefan.Schroer@cyber.urz.uni-wuppertal.dbp.de (06/12/91)

Hi all,
I've just installed mini-X with my Minix-386. I have the
virtual console package as well.
I have a ET3000 VGA Card with 512 KB memory and I use
the 640x480 pixel mode for graphics (works fine)

BUT: If I terminate a graphics program, mini-X won't come
 back to the former textmode. I've tried to use the Video Parameter
Table to write the CRTC and GC registers as done for graphics mode,
but without any success.
Is anyone out there, who knows how to write the video registers ?
Who knows about 800x600 or 1024x768 modes ?

Enjoy,
-Stefan Schroer <stefan.schroer@cyber.urz.uni-wuppertal.dbp.de>

hp@vmars.tuwien.ac.at (Peter Holzer) (06/12/91)

Stefan.Schroer@cyber.urz.uni-wuppertal.dbp.de writes:

>BUT: If I terminate a graphics program, mini-X won't come
> back to the former textmode. I've tried to use the Video Parameter

Can you give us a little more details about this? Does it stay in
graphics mode, switch to the wrong text mode, ...

On my Paradise VGA (256k) switching to text mode behaved like this:
It switched to EGA (8x14) text mode and loaded some (apparently) random
values into the offset register. So the screen turns black or shows
junk. If I force the screen to scroll (e.g. by pressing return a few
times) the contents of the screen reappear.

>Table to write the CRTC and GC registers as done for graphics mode,
>but without any success.
>Is anyone out there, who knows how to write the video registers ?
>Who knows about 800x600 or 1024x768 modes ?

When I have time I am planning to add 800x600 (and possibly some
256-color mode) for the Paradise Card to Mini-X. I wrote a little
program that reads all VGA-registers in Turbo-C. So you can (in MS-DOS)
put your card into any mode by using the BIOS-Call, then run my program
to find out the register contents and then use these values in the
Minix device driver to get this mode from Minix. If there is interest I
will post it in the next days.

--
|    _  | Peter J. Holzer                       | Think of it   |
| |_|_) | Technical University Vienna           | as evolution  |