[comp.os.minix] Non-ST506 winchester driver for PS/2

eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Andrew J Michael) (06/05/91)

I've just tried to get MINIX running on an IBM PS/2 Model 70 386, and found
that the ps_wini.c driver only works for ST506 drives.  The Model 70 has
a strange drive on an edge connector rather than ribbon cables - I presume
that it is some kind of IDE, but I wouldn't like to bet on it.

Has anyone got MINIX running on one of these machines ?  I don't want to use
bios_wini.c because I want to run Bruce's 386 version of MINIX and I assume
that anything which calls the BIOS is strictly verboten for this.

Thanks in advance

Andy Michael

--
Andy Michael                                     "You might think that.  I
85 Hawthorne Crescent                             couldn't possibly comment."

wpd@ece.arizona.edu (William P. Delaney) (06/07/91)

In article <2191@Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk>, eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Andrew
J Michael) writes:

|> I've just tried to get MINIX running on an IBM PS/2 Model 70 386, and
found
|> that the ps_wini.c driver only works for ST506 drives.  The Model 70
has
|> a strange drive on an edge connector rather than ribbon cables - I
presume
|> that it is some kind of IDE, but I wouldn't like to bet on it.

The PS/2 Model 70 386 actually uses an ESDI controller that is identical
in
function to the ESDI adapter that you find in a standard slot on other
PS/2s.
They used the basic idea behind IDE drives (i.e. controller built into
the
drive unit) to save a slot.  From a software point of view, however,
the
configuration is almost identical to a normal ESDI configuration.  The
one
small difference that I have noticed is that the adapter ID value that
comes
from the POS port on the PS/2 motherboard is different.

Someone posted an ESDI driver a few months ago.  It should work fine,
unless
it scans the POS registers in search of a particular adapter ID.  If
this
problem does arise, the fix is pretty straightforward - just check for
either
of two adapter IDs.

Bill Delaney (wpd@ece.arizona.edu)

gt0178a@prism.gatech.EDU (Jim Burns) (06/13/91)

in article <2191@Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk>, eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Andrew J Michael) says:

> bios_wini.c because I want to run Bruce's 386 version of MINIX and I assume
> that anything which calls the BIOS is strictly verboten for this.

Can any one verify that this is indeed a restriction of Minix 386?
--
BURNS,JIM (returned student)
Georgia Institute of Technology, 30178 Georgia Tech Station,