[comp.os.minix] FvK's Cron bug

edwards@tisle.uucp (Colten Edwards) (06/04/91)

The recently posted cron by FwK does not work with the following.
10 	*	*	*	1-7
This entry will work everyday except Sunday... I am sure the fix will
not take much, and I'll start looking tonight at what can be done to rectify
the situation.

Reason I know, is that all week cron has ran fine except yesterday.
At this point cron quit running until shortly after midnight local time. I
thought maybe I had screwed something else up, by adjusting the INIT proc
number to point to the proper entry in the proc table.  This BTW is necessary
in order to keep the system from crashing severely after filling the file
handle table...

					Colten Edwards
|  UUCP: ...herald!tisle!edwards                             |
|                               Just Another Piece of Meat   |
|  INTERNET: ....tisle!edwards@herald.Usask.ca               |

ralf@ptavv.ka.sub.org (Ralf Wenk) (06/05/91)

In article <9106031294@tisle.uucp> edwards@tisle.uucp (Colten Edwards) writes:
> The recently posted cron by FwK does not work with the following.
> 10 	*	*	*	1-7
> This entry will work everyday except Sunday... I am sure the fix will
> not take much, and I'll start looking tonight at what can be done to rectify
> the situation.

As you can see in the cron source the legal weekday range is from 0-6
with Sunday = 0.

Ralf Wenk -- ralf@ptavv.ka.sub.org

gert@targon.UUCP (Gert Kanis) (06/07/91)

In article <9106031294@tisle.uucp> edwards@tisle.uucp (Colten Edwards) writes:
>The recently posted cron by FwK does not work with the following.
>10 	*	*	*	1-7
>This entry will work everyday except Sunday... I am sure the fix will
>not take much, and I'll start looking tonight at what can be done to rectify
>the situation.
>					Colten Edwards
Try
10     *       *       *       0-6
because 0 is Sunday, 1 is Monday, (you can guess the rest).
you could even do
10 * * * *
If you want to specify 'everyday'.

Good luck,
--
Gert Kanis, AP SWZ SWP                          +----------------------+
Siemens Nixdorf Information systems             | I do not represent   |

rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (06/13/91)

In article <9106031294@tisle.uucp> edwards@tisle.uucp (Colten Edwards) writes:
>The recently posted cron by FwK does not work with the following.
>10 	*	*	*	1-7
>This entry will work everyday except Sunday... I am sure the fix will
>not take much, and I'll start looking tonight at what can be done to rectify
>the situation.

Try 10 * * * 0-6

In every cron I've used the days are numbered 0,1 2,3,4,5,6 starting with
Sunday.

--
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30

jds@cs.umd.edu (James da Silva) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.123330.22543@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil>
rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) writes:
>In article <9106031294@tisle.uucp> edwards@tisle.uucp (Colten Edwards) writes:
>>The recently posted cron by FwK does not work with the following.
>>10 	*	*	*	1-7
>>This entry will work everyday except Sunday... I am sure the fix will
>>not take much, and I'll start looking tonight at what can be done to rectify
>>the situation.
>>
>Try 10 * * * 0-6
>
>In every cron I've used the days are numbered 0,1 2,3,4,5,6 starting with
>Sunday.

Hi Mike!

Looks like another one of those BSD vs SYSV things.  Doing an informal
survey of man pages around here I find:

7th Edition	1..7 w/Sunday=7
4.3 Tahoe  	same
4.3 Reno	same
Ultrix		same
Encore UMAX	same
SunOS 3.2	same
10th Edition    0..6 w/Sunday=0
SunOS 4.1.1	0..7 w/Sunday=0 or Sunday=7

Perhaps supporting both 0 and 7 for Sunday is the least puzzling thing for
a cron implementation to do these days.

Jaime
: domain: jds@cs.umd.edu				     James da Silva
: path:   uunet!mimsy!jds		    Systems Design & Analysis Group