[comp.os.minix] libc.a

ccx018@cch.coventry.ac.uk (Leslie Griffiths) (06/13/91)

Hi

I am running Minix 1.2 on an Amstrad 1640. As suggested in READ_ME for the
dist I re-built libc.a to include all the stuff that wasn't there originally.

As suggested I used the shell script "run". It seems to build the library ok,
but when I try to compile progs they always claim that there are unresolved
references, in particular sendrec. I know sendrec is in the lib, so I can only
assume that the library is not correctly ordered, despite the fact that I did
as the READ_ME file suggested.

Short of rebuilding the lib manually, can anyone suggest wha a solution to the
problem might be ?

Is the run shell-script broken ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Griff
(Leslie Griffiths, ccx018@uk.ac.cov and lxg@uk.ac.bham.cs)

u8acb@ohm.york.ac.uk (+Alex Barclay) (06/15/91)

In <56176@nigel.ee.udel.edu> ccx018@cch.coventry.ac.uk (Leslie Griffiths) writes:

>I am running Minix 1.2 on an Amstrad 1640. As suggested in READ_ME for the
>dist I re-built libc.a to include all the stuff that wasn't there originally.

Definately a bad idea... If it works leave well alone. I've just been doing
the same thing with my 386sx running 1.2. How about starting a support
group so we can cry on each others shoulder.

>references, in particular sendrec. I know sendrec is in the lib, so I can only
>assume that the library is not correctly ordered, despite the fact that I did
>as the READ_ME file suggested.
I looked at the READ_ME and wasn't too impressed. I copied all the source onto
the local MIPS computer, compiled the lot and did an lorder and a tsort on the
resulting objects. The answer given was that a cycle was detected. So it seems
that there is no correct order. Though if you're interested I'll mail you the
order I've got so far. It seems good enough to enable me to recompile my kernel
which I did today.

>Short of rebuilding the lib manually, can anyone suggest wha a solution to the
>problem might be ?
Well manually isn't so bad if you use some clever shell scripts.

				Alex.
--
She stares at the screen, At the little words of green,
Tries to remember what to do next.