[comp.os.minix] help

SUTCLIFFE.E.1%PRIME1.LANCASHIRE-POLY.AC.UK@cunyvm.cuny.edu (05/06/88)

Please could you add the following users to your mailing list
tomkins.cc @ uk.ac.lancsp.p1
sutcliffe.e.1 @ uk.ac.lancsp.p1
I would be also gratefull if you could send me some information
on how to access your archives. Many Thanks Edmund Sutcliffe.

V050KY8G@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu (11/01/88)

     I  have MINIX 1.1 currently running on my Samsung 3001 PC/AT
Clone.  What I need are  the upgrades to 1.3xxx. I heard of a few
archives that I would be able to access, one of which is supposed
to have the files that I need, I cannot however access it through
FTP,  I have tried it various times thinking that the network  is
busy etc...  In any case I'm sure some other people might like to
know the address, so here it is.

bugs.nosc.mil  in directory pub/Minix

     Thats  what I have been told,  and that's what I have tried,
and none the less,  all have wound up in failure so far.   What I
need  are  the diffs,  and the important posts  about  the  bugs.
That's  it,  and  no more,  however I do realise it is a  lot  of
information, but it is needed.  I know you can buy an upgrade kit
from  Prentice Hall,  but that is only good up to the issued  1.2
which is currently on the market.  I however need serial drivers,
and kermit so that I may do file transfers.  I also will need EGA
in  a  few  months.   I was also wondering if there is a  way  of
telling  minix  there  is two printers on  the  system.   I  just
started using Unix like operating systems,  and Minix is my  most
frequent.   I was expecting Minix to be a usefull tool, and not a
project, but it is fun none the less, and well worth the price.

                              V050KY8G@UBVMSC
                              John I. Kaminski

nd well worth the price.

                              V050

jdeitch@pnet01.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (04/02/89)

How can I obtain a copy of sed, when you need to use it to pull apart the
files that make it?  Any help will be appreiated

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jdeitch
ARPA: crash!pnet01!jdeitch@nosc.mil
INET: jdeitch@pnet01.cts.com

pcolsen@super.ORG (Peter C Olsen) (10/07/89)

I'm looking for help getting Minix to talk to my hard-disk.  I have a
"mixed" bag of Tandon 20 Meg disk with the long WX-1 controller.
I've had no luck getting it to work and I'm not a Un*x (or any
other type of computer expert).  I'd really like to talk to someone
in the Washington, DC area.  (I understand telephones.)

Peter Olsen  pcolsen@super.org 301-997-8584

George W Dinolt <dinolt%wdl31@wdl1.wdl.fac.com> (08/23/90)

This message is empty.

lron@easy.lrcd.com (Dwight Hubbard) (04/08/91)

I'm looking for anyone who is taking/teaching a course using Minix to help
me out.  I work at a job in which I don't have a chance to go to school
and would like to get ahold of the coursework and stuff for this.
-Dwight Hubbard             USENET  : lron@easy.lrcd.com             -
-Kaneohe, Hawaii            CFR     : 31:910/101 (Dwight Hubbard)    -
-                           BIX     : lron                           -

nall@cs.utk.edu (John Nall) (04/09/91)

In article <18f3eb99.ARN1132@easy.lrcd.com> lron@easy.lrcd.com writes:
>I'm looking for anyone who is taking/teaching a course using Minix to help
>me out.  I work at a job in which I don't have a chance to go to school
>and would like to get ahold of the coursework and stuff for this.

Oh, come on now!  Get the book and read it!  All we do when we teach a
course is to ask, plead, cajole, force, threaten, and otherwise somehow
manage to manipulate students into (a) reading the book and (b) looking
at the software (this is usually disguised as a "project").

John Nall

tboatma@hubcap.clemson.edu (Tommy Boatman) (05/03/91)

Hello All (this is my first post so please bear with me)

I just became the proud owner of the MINIX demo disk for the IBM PC.
I got the file written to a disk and then tried to boot it.
At first everything seemed fine...but when i typed u to start MINIX
The system gave me a message at the top of the screen that read

Nonmaskable interrupt
process number -9, pc=0x0060:0x00005c95

Kernel panic: exception in kernel, mm or fs
Type any key to reboot

after typing a key the machine does a warm boot and the cycle goes on.
I have an IBM clone that I put together myself with various parts.
Is there any hope of me getting it to run (I remember reading that
MINIX may not work on clones) on my system, or should I give up?
Thanks a bunch for any help anybody can give me.

-tommy

Postmaster <EGKIM%KRSNUCC1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu> (06/17/91)

help