[comp.os.minix] 486 > Sparc

EOAHMAD%NTUVAX.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (06/14/91)

NL%"adrie@PHILICA.ICA.PHILIPS.NL"  Adrie Koolen wrote

>I must by saying that I'm no 486 expert, but if I've understood it well,
>the `one cycle' is execution time. Of course, the instruction first has to be
>fetched from cache or external memory (which can also be externally cached).
>Only when fetched from the internal cache, the pipeline is not stalled.
>I don't know how fast a burst mode memory access is. Maybe someone can clarify.

Read the article In the IEEE MICRO FEB 1990 by John H. Crawford, Intel titled
The i486 cpu: Executing Instructions in One Clock Cycle.

RISC microprocessors and i486 can produce results in one cycle consecutively but
each one would still neet at least 3 cycles. If you have instruction cache,
all instructions must be fetched from the cache. In case of a miss then Intel
uses burst mode. Burst mode is twice faster because it does not have to
send the upper half of the addresses which do not change. Even RISC requires
fast program memory in order to execute in one cycle.

>Are you sure that both processors mentioned run at 25MHz? I doubt that!
>Not that I want to praise my SparcStation IPC into heaven, but in general

I double checked, I am sure they all run at 25MHz.

>tests, my 25MHz SparcStation IPC is as fast as a 33MHz 486, of course
>depending on the speed of the disk subsystem, etc. On some tests, the 486
>is faster, in other tests the Sparc. Anyway, I've yet to meet the PC expert,

If we want to compare microprocessors only, leave out the disk oriented tests.

>who can sit behind an unknown PC, work for an hour with MS windows,
>Borland C++ and WordPerfect and tell exactly what processor on what speed
>is in it and what the seek and data transfer numbers of the disk are :-)

We can find out, but what is the point?

>I think you're comparing apples with oranges. The SparcStations have a frame
>buffer with only one display mode, which is bit-mapped. They're not designed
>for fast text scrolling. I've recently compared the speed of the graphical

Typing make is faster than going through all the menu routines. Most of the
people that I saw use the X-window systems use them as text based windows.

>display systems of my color SparcStation and 33MHz 386 PC with super VGA in
>1024*768*256 mode under MS Windows. I looked at display operations like
>refreshing the screen and copying rectangular areas on the screen. The

Why do you use 256 colour mode when you need only 16 most of the time.
My MS windows with 640X480X16  on 386-25 is as fast as the Sparcstation.
There is no point to use 1024X768X256 mode because my software does not
support it.

>SparcStation managed to copy some 4MB per second (scrolling in an xterm
>window), the PC stopped at 500KB per second. If you've used MS Windows at
>this resolution, you'll know that it's terribly slow on display operations.
>That's not the fault of the 33MHz 386 nor the ET4000 VGA chip, but from the
>AT-bus.

The AT-bus can go at 16Mbit/s. The 32 bit EISA can do 33Mbyte/s. It is not
the AT bus, it is the VRAM. You need dual ported VRAM. Why don't you try
VGA display cards with cache from Trident.

>BTW. Framebuffer access on the SparcStation IPC takes some 7 cycles, so you
>can access 4 pixels (32 bits) more than 3 times per us.

Does it have 4 bit mode?

>I won't argue on that, but such a generalized statement doesn't say much.
>If the systems running dos and running Minix were compareble, then you've
>got a point, but so many programs only run under dos and not under Minix
>that it's useless to say that "my Informix SQL database query under dos
>runs more slowly that under Minix, if it would exist". Don't get me wrong,
>you might be right, but don't underestimate the importance of the availability
>of applications under certain operating systems!

Dos does not have elle. Some source codes are written for Unix systems only.
It would be hard to compile it under Dos. I had to use generalised term,
because there is no other way. Would you like me to say, "no comment", because
of insufficient data. In that way we can't even express a single opinion
ever because there is no instance of there ever be absolutely fair and true
comparison. It applies to the theory of relativity, or more relevantly, any
benchmark.

>What work??? Professional work? Database work? CAD work? Minix is a nice OS,
>but don't lose your head please.

Please view it in my and the people in this discussion list. Most of us write
programs which are text based. Or write articles where the text entry is the
most time consuming one. I spent 3 hours on this article. The setup time
is only 15 minutes, which includes switching on the computer, logging in, and
entering the commands.

>(BTW, I don't know version 4.1.1 of BSD. I guess that you mean SunOS 4.1.1.
>While it is not perfect (it's BIG), it certainly is not slow in everything!)

It is slow in everything that matter to me the most: swithing on and off,
responding to simple commands such as ls. I admit I don't use it a lot and try
to avoid it as much as I can. BSD Unix is never designed to be fast. It is
designed to help "PROGRAMMERS" write reasonably fast programs easily, without
worrying too much about memory management, memory and disk space savings. You
can't port it to Super Computers but someday all PC's would be Super Computers
because super fast computers cannot afford to accommodate extra fat, but
Unix System 7 can. Unfortunately ast failed to follow the strength of Unix
System 7, the most serious is the relocating object format of Unix 7. If it
had been supported, the 64K barrier can be broken by now. After all, the
a.out format for Unix 7 is similar to MSDOS .EXE format.

For PCB design I can use ORCAD PCB. For PAL programming I use ABEL. For PGA
design I use XILINK. For networking connection I use Dec terminal emulator.
 For software simulation I may use Turbo C++. All running on MSDOS on
 IBM PC. With 486-33Mhz and 600Mbyte, I have no need for Sun Workstation,
at least for the moment and I notice that a lot of CAD software can be used
on the IBM PC even for the most sophisticated ones and they are cheaper.

Sparc has a wonderful architecture. In fact overall it is faster than 80486
because Sparc can now operate at 50Mhz whereas 486 has not got there yet. The
advantage of Sparc is that the design is simpler so the process technology
need not be sophisticated but who can beat Intel Process Technology, and IBM
Marketing muscle. MIPs is even simpler, thats why it is faster, but you need
the optimising compiler. The Intel 80860 is even faster because it has
built in floating point processor without hardware interlock, but it does not
have an optimising compiler.

I heard that i586 would combine the best features of 486(software portability)
with 80860(hardware simplicity). The  only way it can do it, is by
disabling some hardware hazard interlock.

I don't really like the x86 architecture because it is dirty, with lots of
options, but refer to ast paper titled:
Implications of Structured Programming for Machine Architecture, in
Communications of the ACM, Volume 21, Number 3, March 1978. His conclusion
was "an encoding scheme must be devised in which the most commonly occurring
cases are assigned the shortest bit patterns, and the least commonly occuring
cases are assigned the longest bit patterns."

Othman Ahmad, School of EEE, Nanyang Technological University,
Singapore 2263

adrie@philica.ica.philips.nl (Adrie Koolen) (06/17/91)

In article <56298@nigel.ee.udel.edu> EOAHMAD%NTUVAX.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>NL%"adrie@PHILICA.ICA.PHILIPS.NL"  Adrie Koolen wrote
>>I think you're comparing apples with oranges. The SparcStations have a frame
>>buffer with only one display mode, which is bit-mapped. They're not designed
>>for fast text scrolling. I've recently compared the speed of the graphical
>
>Typing make is faster than going through all the menu routines. Most of the
>people that I saw use the X-window systems use them as text based windows.

Then you just have to believe me when I say that typing/editing in an 80*25
character XTerm window on a Sun SparcStation is instantenuous. In fact, the
speed of the computer really doesn't matter because display actions in such
a small window are much faster than my typing. The advantage I have on my
Sun is that I can open a lot of those small windows and view/edit several
files simultaneously. I know that on a PC, you can do that as well with the
proper software and hardware, but my Sun is by no means worse to use than
a PC.

>>display systems of my color SparcStation and 33MHz 386 PC with super VGA in
>>1024*768*256 mode under MS Windows. I looked at display operations like
>>refreshing the screen and copying rectangular areas on the screen. The
>
>Why do you use 256 colour mode when you need only 16 most of the time.

You said it yourself: sometimes, I need more colors. Your question seems
an acknowledgement of the fact that 256 colors on a SVGA is considerably
slower than 16 colors.

>My MS windows with 640X480X16  on 386-25 is as fast as the Sparcstation.

May I quote from your first message:
>Surprisingly, I find that the Sun Sparc Station 1, even without windows,
>at 25 Mhz is so slow at screen updates compared to Minix on my 386/25 without
>cache with  super VGA display.
Seems to me that you're not very consistent in your remarks!
BTW, without windows, the SparcStation uses a very big bit-mapped screen (1MB)
with very big letters to emulate a 80*34 terminal. Character IO is done via
Forth routines which are stored in the boot PROM. Of course this is slow.
Almost nobody uses the `console' mode on a SparcStation. Use a windowing
system like OpenWindows or XWindows; they have direct access to the frame-
buffer and thus are much faster.

>There is no point to use 1024X768X256 mode because my software does not
>support it.

The only thing I can conclude from that is that that's the fault of your
software. But if you're ever able to get software that supports this mode
(almost every SVGA card comes with MS windows 3 driver for all high res
modes), please take a look and you'll find that screen IO is slow.

>The AT-bus can go at 16Mbit/s. The 32 bit EISA can do 33Mbyte/s. It is not
>the AT bus, it is the VRAM. You need dual ported VRAM. Why don't you try
>VGA display cards with cache from Trident.

First, 16Mbit/s is 2MB/s and that means max 1MB/s scrolling, unless you use
the special tricks in VGA plane modes. That's not fast.
Second, I've no PC at home, only one at work. My boss won't pay for SVGA
cards just to test the speed of them.
Finally, are the Trident cards really that much faster than ET4000 cards in
256 color graphics mode? Can you give examples of how fast you can move a
screen rectangle to another part of the screen in 256 color mode?
I'm curious!

>>BTW. Framebuffer access on the SparcStation IPC takes some 7 cycles, so you
>>can access 4 pixels (32 bits) more than 3 times per us.
>
>Does it have 4 bit mode?

No, the color frame buffer of the SparcStation (cg3) doesn't know different
modes. Only one: 1152*900*256.

>For PCB design I can use ORCAD PCB. For PAL programming I use ABEL. For PGA
>design I use XILINK. For networking connection I use Dec terminal emulator.
> For software simulation I may use Turbo C++. All running on MSDOS on
> IBM PC. With 486-33Mhz and 600Mbyte, I have no need for Sun Workstation,
>at least for the moment and I notice that a lot of CAD software can be used
>on the IBM PC even for the most sophisticated ones and they are cheaper.

Let me quote from your first article one more time:
>Minix is not only for learning
>but also for serious users who wants work done quickly.
You just indicated a reason why serious users don't use Minix: (almost) all
serious PC programs run under DOS, not Minix. I've nothing against Minix, I
just observe and take note.

Adrie Koolen (adrie@ica.philips.nl)
Philips Innovations Center Aachen