[comp.os.minix] bsd

A430@HASARA11.BITNET (Dept. of Mol. Biology, Section of Mol. Cytology) (06/18/91)

I looked this morning at a few ftp sites and on one of them
(watmsg.waterloo.edu 129.97.129.9) i found the following entry:
bsd:
total 3520
-rw-r--r--  1 ftp            3594491 May  5  1989 bsd43.NoATT.tar.Z
It is a bit to large to download immediately but if i am not mistaken
this is a unix distibution.

Jan Jitze Krol

gt0178a@prism.gatech.EDU (BURNS) (06/19/91)

in article <91169.094358A430@HASARA11.BITNET>, A430@HASARA11.BITNET (Dept. of Mol. Biology, Section of Mol. Cytology) says:

> I looked this morning at a few ftp sites and on one of them
> (watmsg.waterloo.edu 129.97.129.9) i found the following entry:
> bsd:
> total 3520
> -rw-r--r--  1 ftp            3594491 May  5  1989 bsd43.NoATT.tar.Z
> It is a bit to large to download immediately but if i am not mistaken
> this is a unix distibution.

Note, that is pub/bsd:. This looks very similar to the sort of thing you
can find on uunet. Note that it is 4.*3*, so doesn't apply to the recent
thread on 386bsd4.4. $.3 is not a complete system, as not everything is
freed yet. Also, you may have missed these notes from pub/GUIDE:

NOTE: John Rogers, the last maintainer of this archive, has graduated and
left the university.  Everything here except "uSystem", "mag", and "oztex"
is likely to become increasingly stale.
                                 ^^^^^ [and note the date on the file]

bsd:		BSD/tahoe sources that are free of AT&T licensing restric-
		tions.  Will likely move to crocus.waterloo.edu soon.

doc:		Miscellaneous documents, such as tech-reports from other
		institutions.  Incl. the texts of two of Stephen Hawking's
		popular  presentations on time, space, & everything.
--
BURNS,JIM (returned student)
Georgia Institute of Technology, 30178 Georgia Tech Station,

awb@ed.ac.uk (Alan W Black) (06/19/91)

In article <91169.094358A430@HASARA11.BITNET> A430@HASARA11.BITNET (Dept. of Mol. Biology, Section of Mol. Cytology) writes:

> I looked this morning at a few ftp sites and on one of them
> (watmsg.waterloo.edu 129.97.129.9) i found the following entry:
> bsd:
> total 3520
> -rw-r--r--  1 ftp            3594491 May  5  1989 bsd43.NoATT.tar.Z
> It is a bit to large to download immediately but if i am not mistaken
> this is a unix distibution.
>
> Jan Jitze Krol

This is, by no means, the full bsd distribution but is only the parts
of the 4.3 distribution that have been freed of AT&T code and
then released under a different licence.  This code is also
available from uunet.uu.net (192.48.96.2) there are lots there but
also lots missing, e.g. over half the kernel.  Many utilies
are there in full (especially the network stuff) others are
missing.  Some time ago some netname (I can't remember who)
pushed "The Regents of Berekely" into releasing the code that was AT&T
free, but there still has to be a lot more than this freed before
anyone can come along and build a system from it.

Alan

Alan W Black                          80 South Bridge, Edinburgh, UK
Dept of Artificial Intelligence       tel: (+44) -31 650 2713
University of Edinburgh               email: awb@ed.ac.uk