[comp.os.minix] Amiga Minix

dsill@nswc-oas.arpa (Dave Sill) (09/18/87)

I'm sure this comes up monthly, but forgive me, I'm new to this list.
Is there an ongoing effort to port MINIX to the Amiga?  What is the
status of the port?  Who's doing it?

Thanks.

-Dave

robocop@netmbx.UUCP (Thorsten Ebers) (02/16/89)

Hello,
does anybody know how far the development on AMIGA MINIX is ?
Also I like to know where i can get Amiga Minix,maybe a testversion ?
Thanx
Thorsten

--
Thorsten Ebers                      Overseas:..pyramid!tmpmbx!netmbx!robocop
Goerresstr.20                       Europe  :..altger!tmpmbx!netmbx!robocop

david.evans@canremote.uucp (DAVID EVANS) (03/17/90)

  Does anyone know if there is a fully functional version of Minix for
the Amiga?  I know someone somewhere did a port of one, but I d\don't
remember who or where they are...

---->Dave

              DAVID.EVANS@CANREMOTE.UUCP
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (06/27/90)

In article <3946@alliant.Alliant.COM> horalek@alliant.Alliant.COM (Jim Horalek) writes:
>Will Amiga Minix have support for Hard Disks?  How due the different versions
>(Amiga,Atari,Ibm) compare?  I invison Minix runing on my Amiga with Minix
>running on my Bridgecard with some sort of IPC between them.  I'm probably
>dreaming.
There is no HD support.  That is left as an exercise for the reader.
The three versions are very similar, except for the kernel code.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

cyliax@dynamo.ecn.purdue.edu (Ingo Cyliax) (06/27/90)

In article <7019@star.cs.vu.nl>, ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
|> In article <3946@alliant.Alliant.COM> horalek@alliant.Alliant.COM
(Jim Horalek) writes:
|> >Will Amiga Minix have support for Hard Disks?  How due the different
versions
|> >(Amiga,Atari,Ibm) compare?  I invison Minix runing on my Amiga with Minix
|> >running on my Bridgecard with some sort of IPC between them.  I'm probably
|> >dreaming.
|> There is no HD support.  That is left as an exercise for the reader.
|> The three versions are very similar, except for the kernel code.

So will Minix-ST binaries run on Minix-Amiga ?

/*                Ingo Cyliax    ECN, Electrical Engineering Bldg.          *
 *      cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu    Purdue University, W. Lafayette,IN 47907   *
 *          ing@cc.purdue.edu    Work: (317) 494-9523                       *
 *         cyliax@pur-ee.UUCP    Home: (317) 474-0031                       */

meulenbr@cst.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (06/28/90)

cyliax@dynamo.ecn.purdue.edu (Ingo Cyliax) writes:
[...]
>So will Minix-ST binaries run on Minix-Amiga ?
[...]
Yes they will. In fact they will also run on MacMinix.
All 68000 versions of Minix can run each others programs.
Pretty neat isn't it. Not much commercial operating systems
support such an application binary interface!

--
Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@cst.philips.nl)
	Centre for Software Technology

cole@anomaly.sbs.com (Cole Calistra) (07/02/90)

   I am very interested in getting AmigaMinix.  Is is available now? If not,
when will it be available? How much is it? Where can I get it from?
                              Thanks,
---
 |                            Cole C. Calistra                             |
 |                     UUCP:  uunet!rayssd!anomaly!cole                    |
 |                      INTERNET: cole@anomaly.sbs.com                     |
 |         Applied Vision Software - The Art of Amiga Development          |

hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) (09/18/90)

  Could you give us new Amiga soon-to-be minix owners a run down of what can
be expected performance wise with the Amiga release?  Is it color, monochrome,
etc.  How much is it like Unix?  How many disks are supplied (since hard drive
support isn't yet implemented) and is there a lot of disk swapping.  I know
very little about unix so please forgive me if some (or all) of these
questions make no sense.  Just trying to get some information for some other
people (and me also, of course) that I told about it.  Thank you ahead of time
for any information you have.

eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Andrew J Michael) (10/12/90)

The MINIX Centre has being playing with AmigaMINIX over the last couple of
days, and in view of the various comments on the net I thought that their
findings might be useful.

The MINIX Centre has a brand-new A500 with an A590 hard disk.  The first
problem was finding out how to copy the AmigaMINIX boot disk under AmigaDOS -
the MINIX instructions aren't too helpful for Amiga novices.  The fact that
copying the disk changes its name from BOOT to Copy_of_BOOT so that the
machine won't recognise it doesn't help either.  You also have to relabel the
copy so that it is called BOOT.  Installing MINIX on the original disk is not
recommended since it has to write to the disk.

We had to discard two original disks before finding one that could be copied
by the Amiga - having ten packets of AmigaMINIX on the shelf behind you can
be very useful at this stage.  Once copied and MINIX installed, the A500
booted quite happily off the minix.img file, without having to use the backup
file minix.img.bu.  However, the two files do appear to be different - does
any one know whether they are supposed to be ?

Unfortunately, once booted there is virtually no memory to run anything.  It is
not even possible to run ls !  We would therefore disagree that AmigaMINIX can
be run on an A500; it can't without extra memory, anyway.  After putting 2Mb
on the hard disk card, we tried again.

First impressions are that the machine is a pretty slow MINIX engine.  There is
a noticeable and extremely annoying delay between hitting a key and seeing the
character on the screen.  Disk accesses also seem slow.  However, despite
comments to the contrary, it DOES work.

We tried fsck'ing all the P-H MINIX floppies.  All passed without an error on
both the Amiga and an ST.  We tried making MINIX floppies on an ST and
fsck'ing them on the Amiga - no problem.  We tried the other way round - still
no problem.

The only problem we have encountered so far in two days of testing is that
you might encounter an "unrecoverable write error" message when inserting
the /usr floppy during booting.  This is because the distribution /usr has
a writable /usr/adm/wtmp on it, and init will attempt to write to it during
the reboot.  If the floppy is write-protected, as it might well be, you will
get "unrecoverable write error" messages.

Apart from that, and the duff boot disk problem, all seems well.  Four of our
customers whom we have contacted also say the same.  All we want now is a hard
disk driver (guess why we bought the hard disk .....)

AmigaMINIX on a 68030 still remains a problem.  With John Guineau's help we
have progressed a little, but it is not yet solved.

Andy Michael

--
Andy Michael (eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk)      " Emulation is the sincerest
85 Hawthorne Crescent                         form of pottery."

In article <1855@Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk> eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Andrew J Michael) writes:
> First impressions are that the machine is a pretty slow MINIX engine.

Sounds like an implementation problem. From what has been said on the net,
the Amiga and Atari ST should be virtually identical as MINIX engines.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com (W. John Guineau) (10/17/90)

Michael) writes:
|> From: eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Andrew J Michael)
|> Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
|> Subject: AmigaMINIX
|>

|> The MINIX Centre has being playing with AmigaMINIX over the last couple of
|> days, and in view of the various comments on the net I thought that their
|> findings might be useful.

[stuff deleted]

|> We had to discard two original disks before finding one that could be copied
|> by the Amiga - having ten packets of AmigaMINIX on the shelf behind you can
|> be very useful at this stage.  Once copied and MINIX installed, the A500
|> booted quite happily off the minix.img file, without having to use the
backup
|> file minix.img.bu.  However, the two files do appear to be different - does
|> any one know whether they are supposed to be ?

Interesting. I wonder if the minix.img.bu file that some had to use is the
image that currupts floppies on write. Since some people have this corruption
problem and some don't and others have the bad minix.img problem while others
don't

Perhaps a quick correlation?  Could AmigaMINIX users say which  minix image
they used and if they had corruption problems once booted.

I used minix.img.bu and had floppies get corrupted.

--
W. John Guineau   			guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation

vodall@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bill Vodall) (10/20/90)

/ hpfcso:comp.os.minix / guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com (W. John Guineau) /  5:32 am  Oct 17, 1990 /
Michael) writes:

Interesting. I wonder if the minix.img.bu file that some had to use is the
image that currupts floppies on write. Since some people have this corruption
problem and some don't and others have the bad minix.img problem while others
don't

Perhaps a quick correlation?  Could AmigaMINIX users say which  minix image
they used and if they had corruption problems once booted.

I used minix.img.bu and had floppies get corrupted.

--
W. John Guineau   			guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation
Marlboro MA. 01752
----------

Me to.  Any more news on Amiga Minix?  Should I return the boot and /usr
disk to P-H?  Should I buy a pc?

Bill

gest_ss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Gavin Stark) (11/17/90)

What is the current status (version) of Amiga Minix?   Has anyone written
a harddrive driver?  SCSI or otherwise?  Anything!?!? The fact that hard
drives are not supported is probably the number one thing keeping me from
ordering it right now!

Either answer via e-mail and I will summarize or just follow up to this
article!

Gavin

Shawn.Switenky@weyr.FIDONET.ORG (Shawn Switenky) (12/07/90)

I believe that the only reason for the poor responce from the Amiga Community towards Minix is that they simply don't know about it yet.
Minix has been out for other machine for a long time now, and a version
for the Amiga is brand spanking new.  It will pickup.  Amiga people are
some of the most resourceful people I know.

I myself own an Amiga and I am patiently waiting for somebody to bring out  Hard disk support for Commodore harddrives (ie 2091 or the native
A3000 controller.)  Is there anyone out there who is working on this? I'd be very interested to hear from you.

Shawn

--
Shawn Switenky - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!herald!weyr!Shawn.Switenky

hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) (12/09/90)

  I ordered Amiga Minix directly from P-H about a month and a half ago.  I
Received a letter a few weeks back saying that P-H was out of Amiga Minix and
would be shpping it to me around December.  I took this to mean that you guys
were fixing some problems with Amiga Minix like the boot disk problem.  Is
something like this happening?  Just hoping this might be why it's not here
yet.

hwr@pilhuhn.ka.sub.org (Heiko W.Rupp) (12/10/90)

In article <992.275F3246@weyr.FIDONET.ORG>, Shawn Switenky writes:

>I believe that the only reason for the poor responce from the Amiga
Community towards Minix is that they simply don't know about it yet.
[...]
>I myself own an Amiga and I am patiently waiting for somebody to bring out  Hard disk support for Commodore harddrives (ie 2091 or the native
>A3000 controller.)  Is there anyone out there who is working on this? I'd be very interested to hear from you.

As you mentionned it, Minix without HD ain't woth a penny !

-Heiko

--
 O|O  Heiko W.Rupp           | hwr@pilhuhn.ka.sub.org
  |   Gerwigstr.5            | There is someone in my head, but it's not me
  U   FRG-7500 Karlsruhe 1   |                       - Pink Floyd
      Voice : + 49 721 693642| Do You know where Your towel is ???

dwl10@ccc.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (12/19/90)

In article <992.275F3246@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> Shawn.Switenky@weyr.FIDONET.ORG (Shawn Switenky) writes:
>I believe that the only reason for the poor responce from the Amiga Community towards Minix is that they simply don't know about it yet.
>Minix has been out for other machine for a long time now, and a version
>for the Amiga is brand spanking new.  It will pickup.  Amiga people are
>some of the most resourceful people I know.
>
>I myself own an Amiga and I am patiently waiting for somebody to bring out  Hard disk support for Commodore harddrives (ie 2091 or the native
>A3000 controller.)  Is there anyone out there who is working on this? I'd be very interested to hear from you.

There are two things keeping me from running MINIX on my Amiga:

  1 - No hard drive support

  2 - It will not run under AmigaDos, only in native mode

Until these shortcomings are addressed, MINIX on the Amiga is only a
neat curiosity.

--
                          |  These be my words, not my employer's!
"Dare to be stupid!:      |Dave Lowrey - Amdahl Corp. - Houston, TX
Weird Al Yankovik         |In Texas:  david@starsoft

genie@zephyr.dsir.govt.nz (Mark Stephens) (12/19/90)

In article <0a8Y02xR04Tr01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> dwl10@ccc.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:

>   In article <992.275F3246@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> Shawn.Switenky@weyr.FIDONET.ORG (Shawn Switenky) writes:
>   >I believe that the only reason for the poor responce from the Amiga Community towards Minix is that they simply don't know about it yet.
>   >Minix has been out for other machine for a long time now, and a version
>   >for the Amiga is brand spanking new.  It will pickup.  Amiga people are
>   >some of the most resourceful people I know.
>   >
>   >I myself own an Amiga and I am patiently waiting for somebody to bring
>   >out  Hard disk support for Commodore harddrives (ie 2091 or the native
>   >A3000 controller.)  Is there anyone out there who is working on this? I'd be very interested to hear from you.
>
>   There are two things keeping me from running MINIX on my Amiga:
>
>     1 - No hard drive support
>
>     2 - It will not run under AmigaDos, only in native mode
>
>   Until these shortcomings are addressed, MINIX on the Amiga is only a
>   neat curiosity.

I think these are only symptoms of the real "problem": most Amiga users
don't really need Minix, because AmigaDOS is generally sufficient and
works quite well.  Minix has really taken off on PC's, because MSDOS is
such a good incentive to run Minix instead :-)  AmigaDOS on the other hand,
already multitasks and does memory management and libraries and lots of
other things, so Minix isn't so attractive.

Having said that, and to avoid being flamed :-), I'll also add that I intend
to try Minix on my Amiga and soon as I recover from a recent hardware buying
spree (!).  Can anyone tell me what feature Amiga Minix *does* support?
Is it just really vanilla, or are there some specials in there ???

--------              \
Mark Stephens          \     "Man and machine share in the stimulating
DSIR Physical Sciences  \/\    exchange of ... Aaarrggghh!!"
Info Tech Group            \     - Eddie the computer
Wellington, NZ              \

kiwi@motto.UUCP (Kiwi the Magnificent) (06/14/91)

Hi there...I've missed out on a few months of Minix discussion and
I was just wondering what the situation is with Amiga Minix.
The last I heard was that it had been released but was
a bit of a clunker.
Can somebody post to the newsgroup exactly *what* status AmigaMinix
is in?

Thanks.

Kiwi.
   ,------------------------------.,--------------------------------.   \._,
  /   7   ,7  o             o     /        kiwi@motto.UUCP          /   < /
 /   /--<'   /   /  ,  /   /     /   kiwi%motto@csri.toronto.edu   /     '
/  -'    `--'`--'`-'`-'`--'`-   /   uunet!utai!lsuc!motto!kiwi    /    /7
`------------------------------'`--------------------------------'    //  NZ!
"Knock knock." "Who's there?" "Death." "Death wh--AAAAAAHHHHH!"       '

breemen@rulcvx.LeidenUniv.nl (E. van Breemen) (06/19/91)

I was wondering if it is possible (or better: easy) to convert the
ST sources for Minix to Amiga sources and then compile it? Are the
sources of the ST for free? If so, you can save $169 by doing a
conversion. (any volunteers for helping?)

Erwin.

This only applies if there are no copyrights on the Minix sources.

sreiz@cs.vu.nl (Steven Reiz) (06/19/91)

breemen@rulcvx.LeidenUniv.nl (E. van Breemen) writes:

>I was wondering if it is possible (or better: easy) to convert the
>ST sources for Minix to Amiga sources and then compile it? Are the
>sources of the ST for free? If so, you can save $169 by doing a
>conversion. (any volunteers for helping?)
>This only applies if there are no copyrights on the Minix sources.

Sorry Erwin, but there ARE copyrights on the minix sources, and
the ST sources are just as free as the Amiga or PC minix sources:
not free. I guess that that's why all the PH versions cost the
same: otherwise lots of people might be tempted to do what you've
just proposed.

Regards,

	Steven Reiz