[comp.os.minix] Reading TOS files from a hard disk in Minix.

geert@ahds.ahold.nl (Geert W.T. Jonkheer CCS/TS) (06/05/91)

Hi,

Is there anybody out, who also has problems with reading or writing
from a tos hard disk partition in minix, using the 'tos -r' or 'tos -d'
utitility???????

When I read a file or ask for a directory on a tos disk in drive
a or b (/dev/dd0 /dev/dd1),  then there is no problem in reading this.
However when i do the same on a hard disk partition , for example
/dev/hd0 /dev/hd1 then I get a 'memory fault - core dumped'.

Can it be that no hard disks are supported by the tos utitily, or
is there a fix for this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Geert.
=============  G E E R T  W . T .  J O N K H E E R . ================
=======  A H O L D  N . V .   T H E  N E T H E R L A N D S    =======
==================== geert@ccsds.ahold.nl ===========================

erlingh@sigyn.idt.unit.no (Erling Henanger) (06/08/91)

Hi.
I had no problems doing this whatsoever in minix 1.5.10.x, however the
earlier versions of minix didn't understand the partitoning scheme of
ahdi 3. So if you're using a new version of ahdi together with an old
version of minix, that might be the problem.
If you are not keen on upgrading your minix just to read the
tos-files, you might want to have a look at mint, the multitasking
extension for tos that can be found on atari.archive.umich.edu, this
will allow you to read/write minix-partitions from Tos.
Good luck.
Erling.

--
       _______    _____  	 o	     ____       Erling Henanger
      /___       /____/ /       /   /|  /   /           Norwegian Institute

breure%itihp2@pucc.princeton.edu (Frank Breure) (06/13/91)

> Hi,
>
> Is there anybody out, who also has problems with reading or writing
> from a tos hard disk partition in minix, using the 'tos -r' or 'tos -d'
> utitility???????
>
> When I read a file or ask for a directory on a tos disk in drive
> a or b (/dev/dd0 /dev/dd1),  then there is no problem in reading this.
> However when i do the same on a hard disk partition , for example
> /dev/hd0 /dev/hd1 then I get a 'memory fault - core dumped'.
>
> Can it be that no hard disks are supported by the tos utitily, or
> is there a fix for this problem.

I have chmem'ed tos to about 60k and am now able to read and write
my harddisk (a megafile 60 with only /dev/hd1 as a 15Mb TOS partition).

--
Frank Breure                                    (breure@itihp1.tno.nl)
TNO Institute of Applied Computer Science       Delft, The Netherlands

geoffc@zebedee%tharr.uucp (Geoffrey Coan) (06/17/91)

In article <56217@nigel.ee.udel.edu> breure%itihp2@pucc.princeton.edu
(Frank Breure) writes:
> > Can it be that no hard disks are supported by the tos utitily, or
> > is there a fix for this problem.
>
> I have chmem'ed tos to about 60k and am now able to read and write
> my harddisk (a megafile 60 with only /dev/hd1 as a 15Mb TOS partition).

I have a related problem with tosread, it will read my 1st hard disk
partition but not the rest !  My setup is:

partition 1 - 5Mb TOS C: directory
partition 2 - 1Mb Minix root directory
partition 3 - 14Mb Minix /usr directory
partition 4 - 16Mb TOS D: directory
partition 5 - 12Mb TOS E: directory
partition 6 - 16Mb TOS F: directory

this is formatted with the ICD utilities.  I can understand minix not being
able to understand the ICD extended partition structures (ie: partitions 5 & 6)
but I would expect that I could access partition 4 (/dev/hd4) but it doesnt
work - I can only access /dev/hd1 - any ideas ?

While I'm on the subject, how can I get Minix to read the date & time from the
ICD clock (SCSI address 7), the supplied icdtime (or whatever it is called)
doesnt work.

AdvThanks,

Geoffrey
--
are you ready to SKYDIVE ??                                       Geoffrey Coan
well all right then, if you say so ...        ..!ukc!axion!tharr!zebedee!geoffc

<- UUCP'd from my ST via tharr; *free* UK public access to Usenet 0234 841503 ->

geert@ahds.ahold.nl (Geert W.T. Jonkheer CCS/TS) (06/19/91)

Thanks to all who helped me to solve this little problem.
I have chmem'ed /usr/bin/tos to about 85k and now it works great,
I can now read the directories and I also can read and write files
from / to my harddisk.

Also, I saw that the tos program returned the free bytes
of the harddisk partition and the bad blocks (in bytes).
Which bad blocks are these ? Where is this information come
from?

Geert.
=============  G E E R T  W . T .  J O N K H E E R . ================
=======  A H O L D  N . V .   T H E  N E T H E R L A N D S    =======
==================== geert@ccsds.ahold.nl ===========================

joerg@mwtech.UUCP (Joerg Werner) (06/22/91)

<(Frank Breure) writes:
<> > Can it be that no hard disks are supported by the tos utitily, or
<> > is there a fix for this problem.
<>
<
<partition 1 - 5Mb TOS C: directory
<partition 2 - 1Mb Minix root directory
<partition 3 - 14Mb Minix /usr directory
<partition 4 - 16Mb TOS D: directory
<partition 5 - 12Mb TOS E: directory
<partition 6 - 16Mb TOS F: directory
<
<this is formatted with the ICD utilities.  I can understand minix not being
<able to understand the ICD extended partition structures (ie: partitions 5 & 6)
<but I would expect that I could access partition 4 (/dev/hd4) but it doesnt
<work - I can only access /dev/hd1 - any ideas ?

A 5 MB partition has a smaller FAT than a 14 MB partiton.
Solution: chmen the tos program (see above) so it can read the whole FAT.

Is it possible to put this question (and the answer :-) in the
`Commonly Asked Questions List' ?
I think many new users have this problem.

Ciao, Joerg
--
Joerg Werner, email: joerg@mwtech.UUCP, voice: 49-(0)6151-37 33 66