[comp.os.minix] compiling minix 1.6.16

nealstep@nexus.yorku.ca (Neal Stephenson) (06/22/91)

Hi,
	I recently downloaded the diffs for minix 1.5 to 1.6 from
ftp.thp.uni-koeln.de. I then ran Appdiffs and it created a new
directory /src1.6 and applied all the diffs which took a bit of work.
They all have the right crc's and that has seemed to work{ However,
I do not seem to be able to make anything, I assume you use the
xenix_to_asld shell to all of *.x files. I can't find libc.A, I assume
I make it with all the libs, but some seem to only compile with the
old includes and some with the new. I am confused, any assistance
would be greatly appreciated.

			Thanks,
				Neal

Neal Stephenson		nealstep@nexus.yorku.ca		NEALSTEP AT YORKVM1

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun21.230902.28404@newshub.ccs.yorku.ca> nealstep@nexus.yorku.ca (Neal Stephenson) writes:
>Hi,
>	I recently downloaded the diffs for minix 1.5 to 1.6 from
>ftp.thp.uni-koeln.de. I then ran Appdiffs and it created a new
>directory /src1.6 and applied all the diffs which took a bit of work.
>They all have the right crc's and that has seemed to work{ However,
>I do not seem to be able to make anything

Sorry, but 90% of the problem is due to my laziness (well, not really,
it's more lack of time).  I cam using the new compiler all the time (to
test it thoroughly), and haven't tested 1.6.16 with the old one.  You
certainly have to do the following:

1. Convert the assembler files to asld format.
2. Use the ctype.h and stdio.h headers from 1.5, but the rest from 1.6.16
3. Edit the makefiles a little bit.

Maybe other things.  If somebody could make a guide to doing all this stuff
and send it to me, I can put it in the READ_ME file on the star.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)