[comp.os.minix] Possible to "mount" a DOS file system under Minix?

Stanley.Carey@bbs.oit.unc.edu (Stanley Carey) (06/25/91)

   Is it possible to "mount" a DOS file system under Minix.  I mean besides using
DOS read, write, dir utilities.  Has anyone had any success with mounting
foreign file systems?  HAs anyone been able to run MINIX completely from
a DOS file system without creating a MINIX partition.

Thank You,

Stanley Carey

--
   The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
     North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information

gdtltr@brahms.udel.edu (gdtltr@limbo.org (The Befuddled One)) (06/25/91)

In article <4239@beguine.UUCP> Stanley.Carey@bbs.oit.unc.edu (Stanley Carey) writes:
=>
=>
=>   Is it possible to "mount" a DOS file system under Minix.  I mean besides using
=>DOS read, write, dir utilities.  Has anyone had any success with mounting
=>foreign file systems?  HAs anyone been able to run MINIX completely from
=>a DOS file system without creating a MINIX partition.
=>
   Possibly, I doubt it, and I seriously doubt it. I have done some design
work towards building a virtual file system under Minix based on the Amoeba
RPC. Supposedly, a virtual MS-DOS file system could be implemented using a
design like my "Fake File System". If anyone is interested, I have put my
design paper up for anonymous FTP at louie.udel.edu:/pub/Minix/ffs.ps.Z.
I make no claims as to its usefulness or quality; this is my first attempt
at putting something like this together. The paper describes the client/
server interface and the modifications to the Minix FS that are necessary
to support the FFS.
   Let me stress here that this is a paper design only. I had originally
hoped to get the thing working, but unfortunately I didn't manage it in
the time provided. Therefore, don't ask me to send you the code; there
isn't any. If you have any questions (e.g. "What the <expletive> is this
guy talking about?!?!"), feel free to send me email.
   Back to the original questions, and more specifically, the third, I
don't think anyone is considering doing such a thing, though I suppose,
theoretically, it could be done. It would be a matter of tossing 99% of
the FS out the window and putting MS-DOS FS code in that follows Minix
FS semantics. A FFS-based virtual MS-DOS FS combined with a /dev/ram
or floppy-based root file system might be made to work and would be more
flexible, but you would still have to write your own MS-DOS FS code.

=>Thank You,
=>
=>Stanley Carey
=>