[comp.os.minix] Minix 1.5 - some

ns@csd.cri.dk (Nick Sandru) (06/24/91)

I've just got Minix 1.5 running on my AT-286 machine (during the weekend) and
I have some questions:

1. Symbolic links - I heared of a 'symlink' package - where can I get it
   (no ftp possibilities, only uucp and mail at my site);

2. Upgrading to 1.6 - where can I get the patches;

3. I have some problems with my hard/floppy disk interface - Minix reads
   360 kb diskettes without problems, but when it has to write something
   on such diskettes, it tries to write in high density (1.2 Mb), ruining
   the diskkette. The same problem is with the 720 kb 3.5" diskettes.
   When I installed the Minix from the distribution disks (5 1/4" 360 kb)
   I had to put write protection on them - lots of complaints from the system,
   but it made it. I have no such problems with high-density disks.

4. I had to setuid root some programs (mail, dos*) - they couldn't be run
   from a non-privileged login. Is there any security problem with this (I
   intend to set up a BBS on my system)?

5. Running MS-DOS applications under Minix - is there any interface/emulator
   which can make this possible?

6. DENMARK only - where can I get danish keyboard and display drivers (if
   there is someone who already made them)?

My machine is an AT with intel 286/12 Mhz CPU, 1 Mb RAM (I intend to extend it
to 4 Mb next month), a Seagate 157 hard disk (44 Mb - I intend to replace
it with something bigger), two floppies (5.25" and 3.5") and super VGA display.

Nick Sandru

--
.signature waiting at the entry signal

klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl (Klamer Schutte) (06/26/91)

In <ns.677755853@csd> ns@csd.cri.dk (Nick Sandru) writes:

>I've just got Minix 1.5 running on my AT-286 machine (during the weekend) and
>I have some questions:
Welcome! Join the club.

>2. Upgrading to 1.6 - where can I get the patches;
Hmmm. I suppose you want to have more minix experience before you want to
visit the jungle of beta-testing minix.

>4. I had to setuid root some programs (mail, dos*) - they couldn't be run
>   from a non-privileged login. Is there any security problem with this (I
>   intend to set up a BBS on my system)?
Check your protection bits on the directory /usr/spool/mail for mail. Is
it world writable? And for dos, can any user write to /dev/fd?
(If so, you don't want to have mounted minix file systems in the disk
drives, but only dos file systems. And any user can ruine the file systems
he can access (like: dd if=something count=tomuch of=/dev/filesystem))

>5. Running MS-DOS applications under Minix - is there any interface/emulator
>   which can make this possible?
No. But you are invited to write one ;-)
(Hint: don't try this on a 286. Virtual machines on a 386 might give you
 the opportunity to do it. Don't expect it to be easy ;-)

Klamer
--
Klamer Schutte			Tel: +31-53-892786	Fax: +31-53-340045
Faculty of electrical engineering -- University of Twente, The Netherlands