[comp.os.minix] bcc bug/feature

kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) (06/22/91)

This is primarily aimed at Bruce Evans, but posted so that if anybody
else has a solution maybe they can help me.

While trying to compile a particularly large program (nethack 3.0i), bcc
chokes on one of the files in the preprocessing stage.  The error
message is 'compiler out of memory'.

I chmem'ed bcc, gld, and sc to larger values, but this didn't help.  I
didn't chmem as or ld, because I don't think that these were part of the
problem.

Since I don't have source, I can't make this compiler usable.  Perhaps
it's a feature, to encourage people to keep their programs small, but I
rather think it's a bug.  I do have a possible workaround - use gnu-cpp
to process the input before handing it to bcc.  However, this is very
messy, and it is not generally acceptable.

--
favourite oxymorons:   student athlete, military justice, mercy killing
Ken Hendrickson N8DGN/6       kjh@usc.edu      ...!uunet!usc!pollux!kjh

evans@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU (Bruce.Evans) (06/27/91)

In article <33827@usc.edu> kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
>While trying to compile a particularly large program (nethack 3.0i), bcc
>chokes on one of the files in the preprocessing stage.  The error
>message is 'compiler out of memory'.
>
>I chmem'ed bcc, gld, and sc to larger values, but this didn't help.  I

It's a silly limit in sc (also in as and ld, but not so limiting). The
limit is 0x0001FE00. To fix it, find this number in the sc binary (there's
only one) and edit it. Also, chmem sc larger to match.

>Since I don't have source, I can't make this compiler usable.  Perhaps

The patch is quite easy to find by running sc under mdb because sc contains
a symbol table.
--
Bruce Evans		evans@syd.dit.csiro.au