[comp.os.minix] Minix and MS-DOS 5.0

mbeck@ai.mit.edu (Mark Becker) (06/27/91)

If all the furor on the comp.os.msdos and associated groups hasn't been
noticed, Microsoft has released MS-DOS 5.0 for PC's and compatibles.

This probably boarders on blasphemy for this newsgroup.. I have DOS on
one HD, Minix on the other.

The features list for 5.0 looks interesting.  I was thinking of upgrading..
but have seen messages talking about how DOS modifies the partition and
file attribute tables.

Has anyone gone through the upgrade process to 5.0?  Were there problems
with dosread/doswrite/dosdir afterwards?

E-mail cheerfully accepted.

Regards,
Mark
+-----------------------------------------------+--------------------------+
| Mark Becker					| Please use talcott in    |
| Internet: mbmm!mbeck@ai.mit.edu		| replies; host mbmm not   |
| UUCP:     {backbone}!ai.mit.edu!mbmm!mbeck	| in tables yet.	   |
+-----------------------------------------------+--------------------------+

rst@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Rene Stolp) (06/27/91)

mbmm!mbeck@ai.mit.edu (Mark Becker) writes:

>Has anyone gone through the upgrade process to 5.0?  Were there problems
>with dosread/doswrite/dosdir afterwards?

I have tried DOS 5.0 and Minix on one HD. Installation of DOS was no
problem but the programs dosread/doswrite and dosdir are unable to do
anything on a DOS(5.0)-Partition (regardless of what size the DOS-Partition
was).

Rene Stolp
--
Rene Stolp                                    rst@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (06/27/91)

Install dos 5.0 on a floopy instead of the hard disk and your hard
disk will not be affected by the installation.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com

I voted for Bush once.  As it's turning out, once was once too often.