[comp.os.minix] AmigaMINIX 1.5.10.1 Problems - already!!

uad1146@dircon.co.uk (Stuart Millington) (06/26/91)

   I have just upgraded AmigaMINIX to 1.5.10.1, it is running
on with an A2091 HDC. I have a few question/problems:

1)  'ps' does not find the proccess names.
    'ps -U /kernel /fs /mm' gives
           can't read kernel namelist : no such file or directory

2)  I am using minix.img from the new boot disk in my hard drive
draw, so I do not need a floppy to boot. I did re-compile from
the new sources as a test. It worked perfectly - I did this
before the 'ps -U' above.
    However since I tried compiling clam1.4, every time I try
to compile anything I get :

   exception 8 caused signal 4 to pid XX (procnr 6) at pc0x400,
sr0x0008

     The pid obviously changes everytime, but the rest is constant.

3)  Why has WBminix been changed from a script to an executable,
which does the same thing the script used to do, but with 4
times as much disk space.[I do realise that disk space on the
boot disk is hardly scarce.] I consider it slightly bad practice
such a non-unique pathname as 'BOOT:' into an executable. I
realise it is _very_ easy to change this back into a script
myself, BUT are the people responsible for the official updates
going to depend on it being an executable in the future?

     Any help with any of the above would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

     Putting the above aside, I would like to offer may thanks
to the guys who have done so much work turning the dreaded 1.5.10.0
into a _very_ usable 1.5.10.1 Thank you.

BTW - how does MINIX handle file locking - to prevent multiple
simultaneous accesses, when it is not desirable? The UNIX books
I have looked in all say consult the local documentation because
all systems handle it differently. I can't find any references
in the 1.5 manual.

PS - last never found the correct logout time on 1.5.10.0, or
any subsequent patch - including 1.5.10.1 Is this a bug, or
just a problem on my system?

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Stuart Millington                  = "A mind is a terrible thing,

sreiz@cs.vu.nl (Steven Reiz) (06/26/91)

uad1146@dircon.co.uk (Stuart Millington) writes:

>   I have just upgraded AmigaMINIX to 1.5.10.1, it is running
>on with an A2091 HDC. I have a few question/problems:

>1)  'ps' does not find the proccess names.
>    'ps -U /kernel /fs /mm' gives
>           can't read kernel namelist : no such file or directory

I have never tried it myself (ahum), but I guess that ps needs either
the .out files (kernel.out etc) or the .mix files to read the namelists,
have you tried both? I just looked at kernel.mix with strings, and it seems
to contain a symbol table. Second, are you sure that you actually created
a file /kernel (kernel.mix) etc? It seems to me that ps couldn't open
those files. Have you looked at ps.c?

>2)  I am using minix.img from the new boot disk in my hard drive
>draw, so I do not need a floppy to boot. I did re-compile from
>the new sources as a test. It worked perfectly - I did this
>before the 'ps -U' above.
>    However since I tried compiling clam1.4, every time I try
>to compile anything I get :
>   exception 8 caused signal 4 to pid XX (procnr 6) at pc0x400,
>sr0x0008

You can see which pass crashed with cc -v, I'll bet that it's cem.
If so, you might want to try the original cem on your ack disk,
maybe the copy on your hd has been corrupted?
The crc for cem, after chmem =120000 cem, should be 59962.
If it isn't, let me know (by email).

>3)  Why has WBminix been changed from a script to an executable,
>which does the same thing the script used to do, but with 4
>times as much disk space.[I do realise that disk space on the
>boot disk is hardly scarce.]

I think that it might even save disk space, because the script needed
IconX, which some people might not have, it was not yet included in the
Workbench 1.2 release. Even more important, the new setup makes
'installing' minix unnecessary, because Minix no longer depends on
Workbench binaries (setmap, iconx, etc), just on setclock, which is
not vital.

> I consider it slightly bad practice
>such a non-unique pathname as 'BOOT:' into an executable. I

I agree. On the other hand I included the source, so you can change
it yourself, or write a script that uses IconX.

>realise it is _very_ easy to change this back into a script
>myself, BUT are the people responsible for the official updates
>going to depend on it being an executable in the future?

I guess not, in fact I don't even see how/why we could depend on that.

>BTW - how does MINIX handle file locking - to prevent multiple
>simultaneous accesses, when it is not desirable? The UNIX books
>I have looked in all say consult the local documentation because
>all systems handle it differently. I can't find any references
>in the 1.5 manual.

Minix does not (as far as I know) provide explicit locking primitives.
One way would be to create a dummy file, existance of the lockfile
meaning that nobody has the lock, nonexistance that someone does have the
lock:
lock()
{
	while (unlink("dummy.lock")== -1)
		sleep(1);
}

unlock()
{
	close(creat("dummy.lock", 0600));
}

>PS - last never found the correct logout time on 1.5.10.0, or
>any subsequent patch - including 1.5.10.1 Is this a bug, or
>just a problem on my system?

I'm not sure. Did it find the correct login time?

	Steven

jac@unlisys.in-berlin.de (Joerg Conradt) (06/28/91)

> uad1146@dircon.co.uk (Stuart Millington) writes:
>
> >   I have just upgraded AmigaMINIX to 1.5.10.1, it is running
> >on with an A2091 HDC. I have a few question/problems:
>
> >1)  'ps' does not find the proccess names.
> >    'ps -U /kernel /fs /mm' gives
> >           can't read kernel namelist : no such file or directory
>
> I have never tried it myself (ahum), but I guess that ps needs either
> the .out files (kernel.out etc) or the .mix files to read the namelists,
> have you tried both? I just looked at kernel.mix with strings, and it seems
> to contain a symbol table. Second, are you sure that you actually created
> a file /kernel (kernel.mix) etc? It seems to me that ps couldn't open
> those files. Have you looked at ps.c?

the ibm needs /usr/src/kernel/kernel !!!
(if you recompile the kernel it will be created...)

hope this helps joerg
--
Joerg Conradt   Berlin, Germany  ||  UUCP: jac@unlisys.in-berlin.de

uad1146@dircon.co.uk (Stuart Millington) (06/28/91)

sreiz@cs.vu.nl (Steven Reiz) writes:

>uad1146@dircon.co.uk (Stuart Millington) writes:

>>1)  'ps' does not find the proccess names.
>>    'ps -U /kernel /fs /mm' gives
>>           can't read kernel namelist : no such file or directory

>I have never tried it myself (ahum), but I guess that ps needs either
>the .out files (kernel.out etc) or the .mix files to read the namelists,
>have you tried both? I just looked at kernel.mix with strings, and it seems
>to contain a symbol table. Second, are you sure that you actually created
>a file /kernel (kernel.mix) etc? It seems to me that ps couldn't open
>those files. Have you looked at ps.c?

   I tried 'ps' immediately after recompiling the system. I
removed none of the files generated by the compilation, except
minix.img
    This behavior is after re-compiling 'ps' Before it was re-compiled
it always said "*:not found \n syntax error" - whatever it was
asked to do. At least now it lists processes and tty's.

>>to compile anything I get :
>>   exception 8 caused signal 4 to pid XX (procnr 6) at pc0x400,
>>sr0x0008
>>boot disk is hardly scarce.]

   It turns out 'as' was corrupted. I corrected it. Now something
else has been corrupted - still looking.

>>realise it is _very_ easy to change this back into a script
>>myself, BUT are the people responsible for the official updates
>>going to depend on it being an executable in the future?

>I guess not, in fact I don't even see how/why we could depend on that.

   OK - I just didn't have an AmigaDOS C compiler handy. Personaly
I can't think of any way to depend upon this being an executable
rather than a script - unless it is extended to do more than
it currently does.

>>PS - last never found the correct logout time on 1.5.10.0, or
>>any subsequent patch - including 1.5.10.1 Is this a bug, or
>>just a problem on my system?

>I'm not sure. Did it find the correct login time?

   Yes. It finds the correct username and login time. The "supposed"
logout time is not random. It is dependant upon time, but is
significantly - but not a fixed time - before the login. Duration
is consequently zero.

--
Stuart Millington                  = "A mind is a terrible thing,
     uad1146@dircon.UUCP           =  remember that."
     ...!ukc!dircon!uad1146        =  David Bryan, Bon Jovi
         It costs me REAL money to RECEIVE E-mail here!
--