[comp.os.minix] Minix and the Amiga Bridgeboard

cdibenedetto@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (06/27/91)

	Help!  I've been trying to run the pc Minix demo on my Amiga XT
Bridgeboard.  It begins the boot up sequence, telling me its booting Minix,
then the system just hangs.  Is anyone running Minix on an Amiga Bridgeboard?
Has anyone got the demo to run?
	Thanx in advance!

----
Cesi DiBenedetto
cdibenedetto@trantor.sacder.nshore.ncoast.org

arno@cbmnlu1.cbm.nl (Arno Griffioen) (06/28/91)

In article <5501.28694f03@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> cdibenedetto@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:

>	Help!  I've been trying to run the pc Minix demo on my Amiga XT
>Bridgeboard.  It begins the boot up sequence, telling me its booting Minix,
>then the system just hangs.  Is anyone running Minix on an Amiga Bridgeboard?

Yes, I'm using my AT-bribo with MINIX in protected mode. Works fine. I didn't
test the demo disk, but remember that none of the JANUS functions will work
while you're running MINIX. Only the Display, keyboard an the LPT1 emulation
keep on working.

I did have one strange problem... I wasn't able to boot MINIX when I was using
the on-board floppy controller. When I bought my HD/FD controller (WD clone
1:1 interleave) for the AT it worked fine and I have never had any problems
since.

>Cesi DiBenedetto

							Bye Arno.

--
Arno Griffioen             |  Commodore Nederland B.V. Unix Support Center
Email: arno@cbmnlu1.cbm.nl |  Tel: (+31) 020-5806748

s8922967@ipc04.mqcs.mq.oz.au (Murray John GILBERT) (06/29/91)

In article <5501.28694f03@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> cdibenedetto@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:

>	Help!  I've been trying to run the pc Minix demo on my Amiga XT
>Bridgeboard.  It begins the boot up sequence, telling me its booting Minix,
>then the system just hangs.  Is anyone running Minix on an Amiga Bridgeboard?
>Has anyone got the demo to run?
>	Thanx in advance!
>
>----
>Cesi DiBenedetto
>cdibenedetto@trantor.sacder.nshore.ncoast.org

Even before hearing this I doubted that minix for the IBM would work as is
on a bridgeboard because minix is very closely coupled to the IBM hardware
- specific chips and all. You probably would need to adjust the source in
any area that MSDOS would use the BIOS routines, because minix does not use
the BIOS (the BIOS is bad news for multitasking) and I assume from my limited
knowledge of the BridgeBoard that the BB is quite different in that area and
uses the BIOS to cover up the differences.

Cya, Murray

#include <std.disclaimer>