[ca.unix] RFS SVR3 3.1s RFS client caching...

mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) (10/29/88)

I understand that System V version 3.1 has many new features and
fixes.  One is that they implemented RFS caching on the client side.

How much (realisticaly) does this improve overall performance with a
very disk-intensive application/test?

W/multiple users?

Most importantly:

Does on have to turn on this cache in order for it to be working?

Is there a way to modify the size of the cache?
--
Mitchell Lerner -- UUCP:  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!mitchell
	Don't speak to him of your heartache, for he is speaking.

shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) (10/29/88)

In article <2297@cadovax.UUCP> mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:
>I understand that System V version 3.1 has many new features and
>fixes.  One is that they implemented RFS caching on the client side.
>
>How much (realisticaly) does this improve overall performance with a
>very disk-intensive application/test?
>
>Does on have to turn on this cache in order for it to be working?

Client cacheing is turned on by default in SVR3.1  It can make a
tremendous difference in performance if your application's file
accesses are well localized.  We have seen cases where it actually
slows things down because the cache invalidation dominates.
Fortunately, it is possible on a per-connection basis to turn it off.
The performance difference can be 20% or more.

Jon