[ut.theory] ICALP

arvind@utcsri.UUCP (05/20/87)

Date: Mon, 11 May 87 14:00:29 MET
From: "Prof. Dr. Thomas Ottmann" <ottmann%germany.csnet@relay.cs.net>
Subject: ICALP 87

                             I C A L P   87

                      14th International Colloquium
                                  on
                   Automata, Languages and Programming

                 July 13-17, 1987 Karlsruhe, West Germany

                         **********************
                         * SCIENTIFIC PROGRAM *
                         **********************

MONDAY, JULY 13

 9.00  Opening of the conference

Session 1:
----------
Chair: Th. Ottmann (Karlsruhe)

 9.15  Invited lecture: Recent Developments in the Theory of Learning
       L. Valiant (Harvard University, Cambridge)

10.15  Coffee Break

Session 2: Inductive Inference, Logic and Functional Programming
----------
Chair: H. Kleine Buening (Karlsruhe)

10.45  Probability and Plurality for Aggregations of Learning Machines
       L. Pitt (University of Illinois), C.H. Smith (University of Maryland)

11.10  Logic Programming with Ions
       M.A. Nait Abdallah (University of Western Ontario)

11.35  Computing Inverse Images
       P. Dybjer (University of Goeteborg)

12.00  Lunch

Session 3: Rewrite Systems
----------
Chair: J.P. Jouannaud (Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy)

14.00  A Unification Algorithm for Confluent Theories
       S. Hoelldobler (Universitaet der Bundeswehr, Muenchen)

14.25  On the Knuth-Bendix Completion for Concurrent Processes
       V. Diekert (Technische Universitaet Muenchen)

14.50  On Word Problems in Equational Theories
       J. Hsiang (State University of New York), M. Rusinowitch (CRIN,
       Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy)

15.15  Coffee Break

Session 4: Semantics, Concurrency
----------
Chair: W.P. de Roever (Eindhoven)

15.45  Semantics for Nondeterministic Asynchronous Broadcast Networks
       R.K. Shyamasundar, K.T. Narayana, T. Pitassi (Pennsylvania State
       University)

16.10  Another Look at Abstraction in Process Algebra
       J.C.M. Baeten (University of Amsterdam), R.J. van Glabbeek
       (Centre of Mathematics and Computer Science, Amsterdam)

16.35  A Timed Failures Model for Extended Communicating Processes
       A. Boucher (University of Southern California), R. Gerth
       (Eindhoven University)

17.00  Readiness Semantics for Regular Processes with Silent Actions
       S. Graf, J. Sifakis (IMAG-LGI, St. Martin-d'Heres)

17.25  Verifying a Protocol Using Relativized Bisimulation
       K.G. Larsen (Aalborg University Centre), R. Milner (University
       of Edinburgh)

TUESDAY, JULY 14

Session 5:
----------
Chair: P. Deussen (Karlsruhe)

 9.00  Invited lecture:  On Recent Trends in Formal Language Theory
       J. Karhumaeki (University of Turku)

10.00  Coffee Break

Session 6: Formal Languages and Automata I
----------
Chair: B. Monien (Paderborn)

10.20  Non-Uniform Automata Over Groups
       D.A. Barrington (University of Massachusetts), D. Therien (McGill
       University, Montreal)

10.45  Minimal Automaton of a Rational Cover
       D. Beauquier (LITP, Paris)

11.10  A Star-Height Problem in Free Monoids with Partial Commutations
       C. Choffrut, C. Duboc (Universite de Rouen)

11.35  Single-Valued Finite Transduction
       J.H. Johnson (University of Waterloo)

12.00  Lunch

Session 7: Temporal Logic, Concurrent Systems
----------
Chair: M. Hennessy (Brighton)

14.00  Computation Tree Logic CTL* and Path Quantifiers in the Monadic
       Theory of the Binary Tree
       T. Hafer, W. Thomas (RWTH Aachen)

14.25  Modelchecking of CTL Formulae under Liveness Assumptions
       B. Josko (RWTH Aachen)

14.50  A Model Logic for a Subclass of Event Structures
       K. Lodaya (Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Bombay),
       P.S. Thiagarajan (Aarhus University)

15.15  Coffee Break

Session 8: Parallel and Distributed Computing
----------
Chair: A.K. Chandra (Yorktown Heights)

15.45  Parallel 5-Colouring of Planar Graphs
       T. Hagerup (Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken)

16.10  Parallel Construction of a Suffix Tree
       G.M. Landau, B. Schieber (Tel Aviv University), U. Vishkin
       (Tel Aviv University and New York University, Courant Institute)

16.35  The Probabilistic and Deterministic Parallel Complexity of
       Symmetric Functions
       M. Li, Y. Yesha (Ohio State University)

17.00  Term Matching on Parallel Computers
       R. Ramesh, R.M. Verma, T. Krishnaprasad, I.V. Ramakrishnan
       (State University of New York)

17.25  Guessing Games and Distributed Computations in Synchronous Networks
       J.E. van Leeuwen (University of Utrecht), N. Santoro, J. Urrutia
       (Carleton University, Ottawa), S. Zaks (Technion, Haifa)

WEDNESDAY, JULY 15

Session 9: Algorithms and Complexity I
----------
Chair: P. Spirakis (Patras)

 9.00  Testing the Necklace Condition for Shortest Tours and Optimal Factors
       in the Plane
       G. Rote, E. Welzl (Technical University of Graz), H. Edelsbrunner
       (University of Illinois)

 9.25  Nearly Optimal Heuristics for Binary Search Trees with Geometric
       Generalizations
       C. Levcopoulos, A. Lingas (Linkoeping University), J.-R. Sack
       (Carleton University, Ottawa)

 9.50  Approximating Integer Lattices by Lattices with Cyclic Factor Groups
       A. Paz (Technion, Haifa), C.P. Schnorr (Universitaet Frankfurt)

10.15  Coffee Break

Session 10: Petri Nets, Algebraic Specification
-----------
Chair: W. Menzel (Karlsruhe)

10.45  A Generalization of the Procedure of Karp and Miller to Well
       Structured Transition Systems
       A. Finkel (Universite Paris-Sud)

11.10  Completeness Results for Reachability, Containment, and Equivalence
       with Respect to Conflict-Free Vector Replacement Systems
       R. Howell, L. Rosier (University of Texas)

11.35  Partial Algebras Flow from Algebraic Specifications
       H.J. Kreowski (Universitaet Bremen)

12.00  Lunch

THURSDAY, JULY 16

Session 11:
-----------
Chair: G. Rozenberg (Leiden)

 9.00  Invited lecture: Computer Architecture for Parallel Numerical
       Computation
       W.J. Paul (Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken)

10.00  Coffee Break

Session 12: Formal Languages and Automata II
-----------
Chair: G. Ausiello (Rome)

10.20  The Kleene and the Parikh Theorem in Complete Semirings
       W. Kuich (Technische Universitaet Wien)

10.45  An Algorithm for Computing Asynchronous Automata in the Case
       of Acyclic Non-Commutation Graphs
       Y. Metivier (Universite de Bordeaux I)

11.10  On the Languages Accepted by Finite Reversible Automata
       J.E. Pin (LITP Universite Paris VI and CNRS)

11.35  Decision Problems for Regular Trace Languages
       I.J. Aalbersberg, H.J. Hoogeboom  (Rijks Universiteit Leiden)

12.00  Lunch

Session 13: Complexity
-----------
Chair: J.L. Balcazar (Barcelona)

14.00  The Logarithmic Alternation Hierarchy Collapses
       K.J. Lange (Technische Universitaet Muenchen), B. Jenner,
       B. Kirsig (Universitaet Hamburg)

14.25  Testing Membership in Commutative Transformation Semigroups
       M. Beaudry (McGill University, Montreal)

14.50  On the Computing Power of One-way Cellular Arrays
       O.H. Ibarra, T. Jiang (University of Minnesota)

15.15  Coffee Break

Session 14: Algorithms and Complexity II
-----------
Chair: E.M. Schmidt (Aarhus)

15.45  On the Complexity of Graph Critical Uncolorability
       J. Cai (Yale University), G.E. Meyer (Cornell University)

16.10  Posets, Boolean Representations and Quick Path Searching
       G. Gambosi, M. Talamo (IASI - CNR, Rome), J. Nesetril (Charles
       University, Prague)

16.35  The Lexicographically First Maximal Subgraph Problems:
       P-Completeness and NC Algorithms
       S. Miyano (Universitaet Paderborn and Kyushu University, Fukuoka)

17.00  Uniform Computational Complexity of Taylor Series
       N.T. Mueller (FernUniversitaet Hagen)

17.25  Efficient On-line Algorithms for Knapsack Problem
       A.M. Spaccamela (University of Rome), C. Vercellis (University of
       Milan)

FRIDAY, JULY 17

Session 15:
-----------
Chair: V. Sperschneider (Osnabrueck)

 9.00  Invited lecture:  The Geometry of Robot Motion Planning
       J. Schwartz (Courant Institute, New York University)

10.00  Coffee Break

Session 16: Error Recovery, Algorithms and Complexity III
-----------
Chair: A. Salomaa (Turku)

10.20  Panic Mode without Panic
       M.P. Chytil, J. Demner (Charles University, Prague)

10.45  Lower Bounds for Sorting of Sums
       M. Dietzfelbinger (University of Illinois)

11.10  The I/O Complexity of Sorting and Related Problems
       A. Aggarwal (IBM Watson Research Center), J.S. Vitter (INRIA,
       Le Chesnay)

11.35  A Lower Bound for the Complexity of the Union-Split-Find Problem
       K. Mehlhorn, S. Naeher (Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken),
       H. Alt (FU Berlin)

12.00  The Nearest Common Ancestor in a Dynamic Tree
       A.K. Tsakalidis (Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken)

12.25  Lunch

                      *****************************
                      * ADVANCE REGISTRATION FORM *
                      *****************************

Please type the necessary information at the corresponding places and
send it back by e-mail.

Mail cheque payable in DM (German marks) to ICALP '87 to:

       ICALP 87
       Prof. Dr. Th. Ottmann
       Institut fuer Angewandte Informatik
       und Formale Beschreibungsverfahren
       University of Karlsruhe (TH)
       Postfach 6980
       7500 Karlsruhe, F.R.G.

or transfer the registration fee by bank draft to

       Baden-Wuerttembergische Bank Karlsruhe
       BLZ 660 200 20, account no. 400 20141 03,
       Karlsruhe University, Title 28286, BA 515.

Registration fee
----------------
                      before June 1        after June 1
Member EATCS, GI         DM 280,-            DM 320,-
Non-member               DM 300,-            DM 340,-
Student                  DM  20,-            DM  30,-

The fee includes the attendance of the sessions, the proceedings, lunches,
refreshments during the breaks, the Wednesday excursion and the Thursday
conference dinner.  Also included is one extra year membership of EATCS for
the members and one year membership of EATCS for the non-members.  The
student rate includes only the reception Tuesday evening and coffee breaks.
Additional copies of the conference proceedings can be obtained at DM 45,-
per copy.  Please check all appropriate boxes, or enter a number if desired.
 ___
|___| Special lunch preference: Vegetarian

                                                        Total
Extra lunches at DM 14,- per meal
     ___       ___       ___        ___       ___
Mon |___| Tue |___| Wed |___| Thur |___| Fri |___|       _____________
 ___
|___| Extra banquet at DM 50,-                           _____________

Program for accompanying persons:
 ___
|___| Excursion to Stuttgart,
      Tuesday, July 14, at DM 30,-                       _____________

 ___
|___| Excursion to Baden-Baden,
      Thursday, July 16, at DM 30,-                      _____________

Last name: ______________________________  First name: ___________________

Affiliation: _____________________________________________________________

Address: _________________________________________________________________

Country: _________________________________________________________________

Telephone or net address: ________________________________________________

 ___
|___| I am sending a cheque (DM __________ )
 ___
|___| I have transferred DM __________ to your account.

                     *********************
                     * HOTEL RESERVATION *
                     *********************

We will forward hotel reservations made through e-mail without taking
any liability.
A special arrangement has been made with Ramada Renaissance Hotel;  this is
an excellent hotel conveniently situated within 10 minutes walk from the
conference location.  All other hotel reservations are handled by
Verkehrsverein Karlsruhe (Tourist Information).  A limited number of beds in
dormitory rooms for students is available in the local youth hostel
(Jugendherberge), in walking distance to the university campus, at DM 16,-
per night.  Reservations are made on a first-come-first-served basis.

I want to book a room at Ramada Renaissance Hotel:

      arrival ________________________________________

      arrival time (if after 6 p.m.) _________________

      departure ______________________________________
                                                       ___
      Single room with bath:  DM 110,-- per night *   |___|
                                                       ___
      Double room with bath:  DM 150,-- per night *   |___|

         *Buffet breakfast will be DM 19,50 per day.

      Please note that rooms will only be held until 6 p.m. on
      arrival date, unless a later arrival has been specified.

                   ***********************************

I want to book a room  via Verkehrsverein Karlsruhe:

         | room         |number|  arrival    | departure  |
         | single room  |      |             |            |
         | double room  |      |             |            |
         | with 3 beds  |      |             |            |

      price range   |___|  |___|  |___|  |___|  (please mark with a cross)
                      A      B      C      D

  Price ranges, per person: