[ut.theory] THEORY NET: Rqst for help ...

arvind@utcsri.UUCP (09/01/87)

From: sadler@buckner-emh.arpa
Subject:      Rqst for help from readers

     This may not be the right forum for this question but I need help so
badly I'll risk it anyway; I'm having trouble developing an algorithm that
will identify various unique combinations of objects.

     The problem I have is probably just a simple matter of logic that, for
some reason, I can't work out.  Although I can't explain exactly what my
application is, I can provide an analogous situation that illustrates the
concept I'm wrestling with.

Imagine this hypothectical situation:

Given    1) a club whose sole purpose for existence is to "meet and mingle".
         2) there are 20 members (call this A).
         3) the meeting place has 5 tables (call this B) numbered 1 to 5.
         4) each table seats 4 (call this C).
         5) the club will meet weekly for 12 weeks (call this D).

Problem:  devise a method to arrange seating at each meeting such that, for
the entire 12 weeks, no two members sit at the same table twice.  In other
words, each table would have four members but the mix of four would always
be unique.

     What I want to do is develop an algorithm so that I can specify the
variables A, B, C, and D then sit back and let the computer take over and
provide a list of unique combinations (members) per node (table) per period
(week).  The only language I speak is BASIC so I'm obviously not obsessed
with speed but any help or code you can provide will sure help.

     It seems like I saw something like this years ago in a quantitative
analysis book but I can't find it now.  Again, if you can just point me in
the right direction, it'll help.

     My address is sadler@buckner-emh.arpa

     Please feel free to write to me directly as I am not yet on this
mailing list.