[ut.theory] THEORY NET: Fermat vs. Rabin ...

arvind@utcsri.UUCP (09/16/87)

Date: Mon, 14 Sep 87 11:48:03 +0200
From: brassard@cwi.nl (Gilles Brassard)
Subject: Fermat vs Rabin false witnesses

   I need the following result in a paper that I am
currently revising.  Although I have a proof (largely due
to an anonymous referee), it would save me substantial
typesetting effort if I could simply quote a reference
where this has already been proved (if this is so).

My question is:  Is the following already known and,
                 if so, what is the best reference to it ?

Theorem:  Consider any odd composite integer which is not
          a prime power.  It has at least twice as many
          Fermat false witnesses of primality than it
          has Rabin (i.e.: strong) false witnesses.

Thank you in advance.
                         - Gilles Brassard