[ut.theory] THEORY NET: Request ...

arvind@utcsri.UUCP (09/16/87)

Date:         15 Sep 1987 11:41:46-EDT (Tuesday)
From: Steve Stevenson <STEVE@hubcap.clemson.edu>
Subject:      Request for suggestions in developing theory course

I am trying to put together a junior level class that would serve as a
basis for later computability and compiler classes. I would like some
help identifying the exact KNOWLEDGE that a junior should have when entring
the later classes (both of which are electives) and what SKILLS I should
assume/develop.  The subject class would be required of all CS folks.

Please send suggestions to me and I summarize:
    (1)  (~) Ten theorems/facts that every computer scientist should know.
         (e.g., Kleene's theorem, pumping lemma for context-free,...)
    (2)  (~) Ten canonical problems every computer scientist should know
         (e.g., halting problem, busy beaver,...).
    (3)  Proof techniques to emphasize.
    (4)  Suggestions concerning topics.

Steve (really "D. E.") Stevenson           steve@hubcap.clemson.edu
Department of Computer Science,            (803)656-5880.mabell
Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634-1906