[ut.theory] THEORY NET: shared memory vs nonshared memory vs protocols

arvind@utcsri.UUCP (09/30/87)

Date:         29 Sep 1987 16:54:52-EDT (Tuesday)
From: Steve Stevenson <STEVE@hubcap.clemson.edu>
Subject:      shared memory vs nonshared memory vs protocols

I am interested in establishing a definitive list of considerations for
evaluating "communications" in parallel systems.  It seems to me that
"protocol" is the genus and implementations are the species.

I would like to know if there have been definitive papers/books which
completely treat the issue of what it takes (i.e., primitive objects,
functions) to establish a protocol, the logical principles involved (i.e.,
no deadlock), and performance implications/comparisons.

Thanks.

--
Steve (really "D. E.") Stevenson           steve@hubcap.clemson.edu
Department of Computer Science,            (803)656-5880.mabell