[ut.theory] THEORY NET: Sanitary surgeons and safe sex

arvind@utcsri.UUCP (11/18/87)

Date:         16 Nov 1987 10:17:55-EST (Monday)
From: "Gregory J. E. Rawlins" <IUVAX!RAWLINS@rutgers.edu>
Subject:      Sanitary surgeons and safe sex.

In article <18874@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> shefter@yale-zoo-suned.UUCP
(Bret A. Shefter) writes:
>Three doctors are going to operate on a seriously ill patient. Dr. Stevens
>points out that each of the three doctors will need to operate, one after the
>other, in his or her special area to save the patient's life, and there can be
>no pauses. Dr. Rimaldi mentions that, as there is a strange disease going about
>that can be spread by touch, and none of them knows whether his or her fellow
>doctors has it (or even if the patient does), since the symptoms do not mani-
>fest for three weeks, they had all better use different gloves, even though
>they will not be operating together. Dr. Watson (sorry!) discovers that, alas,
>there are only two clean pairs of rubber gloves. What to do, what to do?

[To rec.puzzle readers: this posting is not a spoiler for this puzzle.]

This is the sanitary surgeons puzzle first proposed, to the best of my
knowledge, in Martin Gardner's _Aha! Insight_ (Freeman, 1978). I first
saw (a generalization of) this puzzle in a graduate class in complexity
theory at Waterloo several years ago. The generalization -- first
proposed (again, to the best of my knowledge) at either STOC or FOCS
circa 1979 -- has since gained notoriety in the complexity theory
underground. The reason being that it was posed as the following safe
sex puzzle:

Given n heterosexual couples, each person wants to have sex with every
person of the opposite sex. However, everyone is afraid of transmitting
or receiving a communicable disease. They decide that condoms give best
protection. What is the minimum number of condoms necessary?

Hint: show that for n=2, two condoms are necessary and sufficient.

Have fun!
    gregory.

P.S. The solution is know (but not published anywhere!).  I would be
interested in hearing from anyone who has more detail on either the
history of this problem or its further generalization to n males and m
females. This problem is more usually stated as a problem in optimization
research.
--
Gregory J. E. Rawlins; Dept CS, Indiana University, rawlins@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu