[ut.theory] THEORY NET: ACM Publication policy

arvind@utcsri.UUCP (Arvind Gupta) (01/06/88)

Date:         Wed, 23 Dec 87 17:44:23 CST
From: Barbara Simons <simons@ibm.com>
Subject:      ACM Publication policy

To the theory community:

I received the following letter from Peter Denning.  I am sending it
out over theorynet because I have heard various people express concern
about ACM publication policy.  The revisions implied by the letter
should at least make practice a closer match to policy.

Barbara Simons

____________________________

As a followup to an earlier general mailing, I am writing to remind
you of the policy change about republishing papers that have (or will
soon) appear in a conference proceedings.  The core of the policy is
that a paper may be republished in a journal provided that the editor
determines there is significant additional benefit from doing so.
I am enclosing a copy of the full policy statement for your information.
(Note: if you need a copy, you can contact Barbara Simons at
408:927-1785, simons@ibm.com).

EDITORS: You may now feel free to consider papers that have (or will)
appear in a conference proceedings, whether from an ACM SIG conference
or from some other conference.  The fact of publication in a conference
proceedings is not an automatic ground to refuse to consider the paper.
You should request your reviewers to advise you on whether significant
additional benefit would be gained by republishing.  If you accept such
a paper, be sure that the proper cross-reference to the conference
proceedings appears on the first page.  If the paper in question
appeared in a conference proceeding that does not have an ACM copyright,
it is the author's responsibility (under other ACM policies) to obtain
the appropriate copyright release.

SIG CHAIRS: You may now feel free to include in your proceedings all
papers accepted by your program committees.  You need not withhold
papers that are accepted (or under consideration for) a journal.
You need not insist that the authors of the "best" papers publish abstracts
only in order to protect their right to submit the paper to a journal.
Please advise your program committee chairs of this change and request
them to be sure that the proper cross-reference to the journal appears
on the first page of such papers.

Please note that this is an ACM policy that affects ACM journals.  Nothing
has been negotiated with any other society with respect to
republication of ACM materials in their journals.