[rec.travel] Trip Report to Everglades and Florida Keys, Part 7

pratt@paul.rutgers.edu (Lorien Y. Pratt) (05/29/90)

		Trip report to the Everglades and Florida Keys
		  ==or-- how to see 165 species in 8 days.

This file contains a fairly detailed travel log of a trip that we took this
spring to the Everglades, then to Key Largo, then to Big Pine Key.  We did
lots of both bird- and fish-watching and did our first scuba diving since we
were certified (NAUI) last fall.   This information should be of interest to
birders and fishers (?) alike who are interested in doing the same kind of
trip that we did.

Part 7: Bird List
Totals:  61 bird species, 6 of which are life listers

Birds Seen:
==anhinga
==black skimmer
==black-and-white warbler
==black-bellied plover
==black-legged stilt
==black-throated blue warbler
==blue jay
== boat-tailed grackle
==brown-headed cowbird
== brown pellicans
==burrowing owls
==cardinal
==caspian  tern
==common ground-dove
==common moorhen
== crow, american
== crow, fish
==double crested cormorant
== eastern kingbird
== eastern meadowlark
==flicker
==forster's tern
==glossy ibis
==grackle
==gray kingbirds
==great blue heron
==great egret
==great white heron
==greater yellowlegs
==green heron
==house sparrow
==king rail
==laughing gulls
==least terns
== lesser yellowlegs
==little blue heron
==loggerhead shrike
==long-billed dowitcher
==lousiana heron
==magnificient frigatebird
==mockingbird
==mourning dove
==northern parula
==osprey
==prairie warbler
==purple gallinule
==red-winged blackbird
==reddish egret
== ring-billed gull
==turtle dove
==robin
==rock dove
== royal terns
==ruddy turnstones
==rufous-sided towhee
==semipalmated plover
==short-billed dowitchers
==smooth-billed ani
==snowy egrets
==solitary sandpiper
== song sparrow
==starling
==swallowtail kite
==turkey vultures
==western sandpiper
== white crowned pigeon
==white ibis
==white pelicans
==white-eyed vireo
==willet
L. Y. Pratt                            	   Computer Science Department
pratt@paul.rutgers.edu                     Rutgers University
                                           Hill Center
(201) 932-4634                             New Brunswick, NJ  08903, USA

phipps@garth.UUCP (Clay Phipps) (06/05/90)

In article <May.28.14.49.33.1990.1014@paul.rutgers.edu>,
pratt@paul.rutgers.edu (Lorien Y. Pratt) writes:

>This [being] a fairly detailed travel log of a trip that we took
>this spring to the Everglades, then to Key Largo, then to Big Pine Key.
>We did lots of both bird- and fish-watching [...].
>
>Part 7: Bird List
>Totals:  61 bird species, 6 of which are life listers
Could you please define this term for us denizens of "rec.scuba" ?
I've never been involved in organized birding, myself.
--
[The foregoing may or may not represent the position, if any, of my employer, ]
[ who is identified solely to allow the reader to account for personal biases.]

Clay Phipps
Intergraph APD: 2400#4 Geng Road, Palo Alto, CA 94303; 415/852-2327
UseNet (Intergraph internal): ingr!apd!phipps
UseNet (external): {apple,pyramid,sri-unix}!garth!phipps        EcoNet: cphipps