[rec.travel] Bicycling in Salerno, Italy

burnetti@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/22/91)

Thanks to all who have been so helpful in the past.  Now I have another
question:

Is bicycling a reasonable and fun way to get around in the area of
Salerno, Italy?  My family and I are considering renting bicycles and
seeing much of the area that way.  If you have any opinions about
the reasonableness if that idea, we'd very much appreciate hearing them!

In particular, is it pretty easy to find rental bicycles?  Are there
good places to ride them, or is the automobile traffic too heavy for
this?  What about the idea of riding them from one city to the next --
is the highway traffic too dangerous for this, or are there low-traffic
roads we might take to do this?

Thanks again for any information you can provide.
Margaret Burnett

montra@ghost.unimi.it (Paolo Montrasio) (04/22/91)

burnetti@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>Is bicycling a reasonable and fun way to get around in the area of
>Salerno, Italy?  My family and I are considering renting bicycles and
>seeing much of the area that way.  If you have any opinions about
>the reasonableness if that idea, we'd very much appreciate hearing them!

I have no direct experience about cycling in the Salerno area, since I live
and cycle (!) in Milano. However I must warn you that in Italy there is a total
lack of roads reserved to bicycles, so that you must share the road with
cars and trucks. You can live with it (I do!) but be careful!
--
                             _____
                            /     \