[rec.travel] Shuttle launching

robs@infmx.informix.com (Robert Schneider) (05/22/91)

Hi -

We're going to be in S. Florida from 5/22 - 5/29.  I
understand that the the shuttle may be lifting off
this Friday, 5/25.  Does anyone know the latest
status of the launch?  Assuming that it will be
launched, approximately how long does it take to
drive from the Miami area to Cape Canaveral?  Are
there any tips or advice that someone could give
us regarding traffic, best place to view, etc.

All those who respond will be rewarded with eternal
life and wealth.

Thanks!

Rob

34LI6RE@CMUVM.BITNET (05/24/91)

Our family was in Florida and watched Atlantis launch on April 5.  We drove
from Winter Haven and took the "Bee Line" to the Cape.  We left Winter Haven
at 5 am and made it to the Cape with only 20 minutes to spare.  Be prepared
for traffic jams...the last 11 miles took us 2 hours to drive.  We watched
from Gate 3, across the bay.  What a wonderous sight!  If you haven't already,
take advantage of the day there and tour the NASA area.  Discovery was on
the launch that day, so we saw one on the launch pad as well as one go up.
My "guess" is Miami is a good 7-9 hours away, BEFORE the traffic jams come
into play.  Many people the day we were there were left on the highway and
had to watch the launch while still some distance away from the Cape.

Another tip if you're staying for the day is to pack a cooler w/drinks,
munchies, lunch, etc.  The parking lot is so near, we just went back to
the van for lunch, rather than pay the tourist prices for lunch.  The bus
tours and the movie prices are reasonable and worth the $.

Enjoy!

Holly Whitehead

sokay@cyclone.mitre.org (S. J. Okay) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May21.215637.18716@informix.com> robs@infmx.informix.com (Robert Schneider) writes:

>Hi -
>
>We're going to be in S. Florida from 5/22 - 5/29.  I
>understand that the the shuttle may be lifting off
>this Friday, 5/25.  Does anyone know the latest
>status of the launch?  Assuming that it will be
>launched, approximately how long does it take to
>drive from the Miami area to Cape Canaveral?  Are
>there any tips or advice that someone could give
>us regarding traffic, best place to view, etc.

Since we all know that this didn't happen, and I'm going to
be down in Fla. starting this weekend, could somebody
please post the next possible launch date(s?) and the best
place to view the liftoff?---THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!!
>All those who respond will be rewarded with eternal
>life and wealth.
Ditto....

---Steve