[net.unix-wizards] Solution to VA3481 Modem trouble

tom (11/12/82)

>From microsof!decvax!cca!hplabs!hao!menlo70!sytek!gi!arizona!whm@sri-unix Fri Nov  5 00:14:06 1982
Subject: Trouble with VA3481 Modem
Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards,net.dcom
We're having some problems with a VA3481 modem.  We're using it with a
VA821 dialer and VA831 converter.  It is being used to dial out and we
seem to be unable to connect with modems that do not support the 3400
protocol.  A neighboring site has accquired several 3481's and they are
having the same problem.  Has anyone ever encountered similar
problems?  I have a creeping suspicion that the software is at fault,
does anybody have Unix software that we could use to test our equipment
with?

					Thanks in advance,
					Bill Mitchell

My problem was the reverse of Bill's article, I couldn't dial
Bell 212 sites.
Here are the facts:
	1. The 3481 is indeed a triple modem, which cycles
	thru 103, 212 and 3400 style carriers in ANSWER mode ONLY.

	2. On output, the type of carrier must be specified.
	This is accomplished by specifying the modem type as the
	first character sent to the dialer.  In my case I had
	set up the modem type (in dnd) to be "non-103", so I
	couldn't dial 212 sites (makes sense?!).

	3. The real bite, is that if you want to make a 300 baud
	call, you must manually throw a switch on the back of
	the 3481!

So, to make the modems work with both 3400, and 212 sites, you
need to hack the dialer daemon dnd so that you can specify the
"non-default" carrier type.

I modified dnd so I could specify the dialer address, modem type
and modem address in the phone number requested, by prefacing the
number with a "%" character. So when I want 3400 style carrier,
the phone number is %003565376 (dialer 0, non-103, modem 0), and
when I want 212 style, the number is %403565376.

Here's what I changed in dnd.c

struct mx_leaves {
    char    *name;
    char    rack,modem;
    short   chan;
    int     file;
} pdevs[] = {{"/dev/cua0",'0','0'}, {0}};
/* this is my default -----| dialer address and modem type */

In routine dialit(string)

#ifndef FLUKEHACK
	pc(STX); pc(lp->rack); pc(lp->modem);
#else FLUKEHACK
	if( *string == '%' ){
		string++; /*skip percent sign*/
		pc(STX); pc( *string++ ); pc( *string++ );
	}else{
		pc(STX); pc(lp->rack); pc(lp->modem);
	}
#endif FLUKEHACK

In routine sanitize(string)

#ifdef FLUKEHACK
	    case '%':	/* indicates first two digits are rack,modem */
		*cp++ = *string;
		break;
#endif FLUKEHACK

Now for my observations and opinions:

It took me 2 months of on again off again phone calls to RV's
technical types, plus sending down "defective" gear to find out,
that their manual stinks.  And what is really irritating, is that
the technical boys didn't know what the problem was.

Postscipt: Racal-Vadic wanted more money to fix the "problems"!

	What a POS.
So, "Let the buyer beware."

Good luck.
Tom Dowling