[rec.photo] photographing computer screens

watson@ames.arc.nasa.gov (John S. Watson) (11/16/88)

[this discussion started in comp.graphics]

Here's how I get 24 bit photographs of my images from my 8 bit Sun screen
(The basic idea is to triple expose the film, once with each R,G,B channels).

First I set up my 35mm camera in front of the our Sun's 8-bit color monitor,
on a tripod.  I level the Sun screen and make sure the camera is pointed
at the center of the Sun screen.  A good sturdy tripod is best, but I
use my ultra-cheap ultra-lite backpacking tripod.
I also connect my remote shutter controller, and turn on the 2 second delay
to minimize vibrations.

I use a telephoto lens of about 100mm to minimize the "wide-angle" distortion.

Once everything is set up I run a program I wrote that take the three
red, green and blue image files and make a grey scale "intensity" file.
Then I display this intensity image.  Next, I turn out all the lights in
the room and take a meter reading of the intensity image.

I have a fancy camera that has all sorts of automatic modes,
but I just use it's light meter to tell me the right exposure.
I use as slow a film as 100 ISO or less, usually Kodak.
I want a long shutter speed to avoid flicker,
on the order of 10 seconds, so I set the aperture to 8 or more.

Next I set my camera to expose the same frame 3 times, and set the
exposure to 1/3 of the meter reading I got from above (so for the 10 second
example I'd expose with three 3.33 second exposures).

I have 3 little programs with display each of the red, green and blue file
separately, each with it's respective "red scale", "blue scale" and
"green scale" colormap (i.e., for the "red scale" the red values in the
colormap are from 0 to 255, and the green and blue are 0).

So then I:
Display the red channel.    Expose the film.
Display the green channel.  Expose the film.
Display the blue channel.   Expose the film.

That's it.  I also redo the whole process at with a slightly longer
and at a slightly shorter exposure (bracketing), just in case.

Turn on the lights, go home, have a beer.

I'm sure there are lots of nitty gritty details that I ignore;
things like gamma corrections of the monitor and all that sort of stuff,
but what the heck, the results are fine.

Have fun,

--
John "Crash" Watson, Civil Servent from Hell  ARPA: watson@ames.arc.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center                     UUCP:  ...!ames!watson

kurtk@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM (Kurt Krueger) (11/18/88)

I've seen some good advice here, but thought I would add some more info.

Notice that camera systems designed for this work are set up to photograph
a black and white screen through 3 different color filters (i.e. the red
part is displayed and photographed through a red filter, etc.)

This solves a few problems.

1. The mismatch of the color phosphor's output spectrum vs. the film's
   spectral response is fixed by the color filters.

2. Gamma correction can be done, as well as differing sensitivity to the
   three primary colors.

3. If you take a magnifying glass to the color screen, you will notice that
   if you have an entire green image (for example) that only 1/3 of the
   screen is actually lit up (the red and blue dots are black in this case).
   A well focussed photograph will be 1/3 green and 2/3 black.  The results
   will be a muddy green.  By photographing a b&w screen through a green
   filter you can get 100% green.
   (Note: you can help this situation by overexposing or defocusing).

good@pixar.uucp ("It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -- Walt Disney) (11/21/88)

In article <18196@ames.arc.nasa.gov> watson@ames.arc.nasa.gov (John S. Watson) writes:
:
:[this discussion started in comp.graphics]
:
:Here's how I get 24 bit photographs of my images from my 8 bit Sun screen
:(The basic idea is to triple expose the film, once with each R,G,B channels).

You can also get pretty good results just shooting off the monitor.  I
routinely make slides here with Ektachrome 100 and a 200mm Macro Nikor.
Off our Barco and Sony RGB monitors I wind up with 1 second at f5.6.
Back in 1984 I shot "The Adventures of Andre & Wally B" by setting a
Mitchell with an animation motor right in front of a 512 x 488 Barco.
It turned out better than it should have.

Better systems will get you better pictures, but you'll be amazed
how well simple setups work.

		--Craig
		...{ucbvax,sun}!pixar!good

flip@pixar.UUCP (Flip Phillips) (11/22/88)

In article <2709@pixar.UUCP> good@pixar.uucp ("It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -- Walt Disney) writes:
>In article <18196@ames.arc.nasa.gov> watson@ames.arc.nasa.gov (John S. Watson) writes:
[...]
[...]
>Back in 1984 I shot "The Adventures of Andre & Wally B" by setting a
>Mitchell with an animation motor right in front of a 512 x 488 Barco.

When I was at Ohio State CGRG we shot all of the films using an Ariflex 16mm
with an animation motor, shooting directly off of the monitors. We would
use Ektachrome News stock, as I recall, cant recall the stock number,
maybe someone who remembers can pass it along.

>It turned out better than it should have.
So did ours.
--
Flip Phillips                                        {sun | ucbvax}!pixar!flip
Pixar - Marin County, California

dave@onfcanim.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (11/23/88)

In article <18196@ames.arc.nasa.gov> watson@ames.arc.nasa.gov (John S. Watson) writes:

>Once everything is set up I run a program I wrote that take the three
>red, green and blue image files and make a grey scale "intensity" file.
>Then I display this intensity image.  Next, I turn out all the lights in
>the room and take a meter reading of the intensity image.

A much simpler method: fill the screen with full-intensity white.
Take a light meter reading.  Increase exposure by 2.5 stops.
This puts the brightest whites near the upper end of the linear portion
of the response curve for slide film.  With negative film, you might
give just a bit more exposure if you want more shadow detail.

(Note that 2**(-2.5) = 0.18, and thus that this method is also equivalent
to displaying and reading an 18% grey patch, except that by using white
you can get away with a less-sensitive light meter, and also don't have
to worry about how well your gamma correction has been done - i.e. whether
your 18% grey is really 18% of white).

>I want a long shutter speed to avoid flicker,
>on the order of 10 seconds, so I set the aperture to 8 or more.

Most films recommend using colour filters to correct for colour shift
due to reciprocity failure with such long exposures.  An exposure time
of 1 second seems a good compromise - long enough that you don't see
a dark bar due to recording a non-integral number of video fields,
but short enough not to worry about reciprocity problems.

>Next I set my camera to expose the same frame 3 times, and set the
>exposure to 1/3 of the meter reading I got from above (so for the 10 second
>example I'd expose with three 3.33 second exposures).

This is wrong - you should use the same exposure, not 1/3 of it.
Your light meter tells you to expose the film to the full-colour image
for, say, 1 second.  If you had a 24-bit frame buffer, you would do
exactly that.  Since you have just 8 bits, you do each colour separately,
but you still need 1 full second of red, 1 second of green, and 1 second
of blue to give the same exposure as 1 second of white.

3ksnn64@pur-ee.UUCP (Joe Cychosz) (11/26/88)

In article <2709@pixar.UUCP> good@pixar.uucp ("It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -- Walt Disney) writes:
>In article <18196@ames.arc.nasa.gov> watson@ames.arc.nasa.gov (John S. Watson) writes:
>:
>:[this discussion started in comp.graphics]
>:
>:Here's how I get 24 bit photographs of my images from my 8 bit Sun screen
>:(The basic idea is to triple expose the film, once with each R,G,B channels).
>
>You can also get pretty good results just shooting off the monitor. I
>routinely make slides here with Ektachrome 100 and a 200mm Macro Nikor.
>Off our Barco and Sony RGB monitors I wind up with 1 second at f5.6.

I agree, however I use a few different settings.  I also shoot Ektachrome
100 (Ektachrome 64 is no longer available).  For prints I use standard
Kodak 100 print film.

Setup:
   This is the longest and most crucial step.  It is important to get the
lens as perpendicular as possible to the screen.  Things to watch for are
monitors which tilt (like Suns or SGIs).  I also try to get the lens as
close as possible to the screen and still be able to focus. This helps
reduce the effects of the curvature of the screen.  For a 70-210mm Macro
Nikon this is about 2 ft.

Exposure:
   I use a 1/2 second exposure at f8 with half a stop added in.  To bracket
the exposure I also shoot a f5.6 and a f11 exposure.  With 100 speed film
the exposure can be fairly forgiving.  That is to say, you'll get a
reasonable picture as long as the exposure and f-stop are within reason.
Never shoot faster than the refresh rate of the monitor.  This even
goes for taking pictures of monitors sitting in rooms.  If you do you
will endup with black bars on the screen.  For room shots I use
1/8 second or longer.

Processing:
   For prints I usually tell the people that process my film that the
roll contains computer graphics.  Many film printers are computered
controlled and are setup for printing people, sky, grass, trees and other
things which you would find in normal photos.  These printers usually
lose it when the get a picture with lots of black.  Vectors are the
hardest to process.

   One other problem the film processing machines have is alignment.
Lets say you are shooting pictures of some square 512x512 images.
The film processor will more than likely assume that the left edge
of the image is the left edge of the picture.  I will not center it for
you.  This will also happen with slides.  To solve this problem two
things can be done.  One: shoot a few fully exposed pictures at the
beginning of the roll so the machine can set where the left edge is
for the rest of the roll.  Or two: us an alignment background pattern
like I do.  This looks something like this:

		----------------------------------
		!		!		 !
		!		!		 !
		!	-----------------	 !
		!	!		!	 !
		!	!		!	 !
		!-------! Image         !	 !
		!	!		!	 !
		!	!		!--------!
		!	!		!	 !
		!	-----------------	 !
		!		  !		 !
		----------------------------------

I'll have to try a 1 second exposure at f5.6 in the next roll I shoot.

Joe Cychosz

billd@celerity.UUCP (Bill Davidson) (12/02/88)

In article <9900@pur-ee.UUCP> 3ksnn64@pur-ee.UUCP (Joe Cychosz) writes:
>monitors which tilt (like Suns or SGIs).  I also try to get the lens as
>close as possible to the screen and still be able to focus. This helps
>reduce the effects of the curvature of the screen.  For a 70-210mm Macro
>Nikon this is about 2 ft.

Er, that's not what I learned in photography school.  You can't totaly
eliminate curvature but it is definitely INCREASED by getting closer.
Your best bet should be to get as far away as possible.  Since you will
still want to nearly fill your frame, the distance will be dictated by
the length of lenses you own (and the amount of space available in front
of your screen :-)  Shooting from far away with a long lens flattens any
picture.
	--Bill Davidson
....!{ucsd|sdcsvax}!celerity!billd