[rec.birds] rec.wildlife or rec.econet=-ecology

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (11/29/87)

In article <18737@bbn.COM>, cosell@cosell.bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:

> Here's one **enthusiastic** vote in favor of broadening the group.
> I'd _love_ for there to be a wildlife group.  Considering the volume
> on rec.birds, I don't think changing the name to something like
> "rec.wildlife" is all that unreasonable (but to do that we'ed probably
> have to get the net.powers involved, do an "official" vote, junk like
> that).  Are any of the rest of you real wildlife-people reading this
> group 'cause it is as close as usenet gets?
>
>   /Bernie\

Bernie Cosell, Max Hauser, Sharon Badian and others (like me)
who are interested in wildlife/ecology/animal rights, etc.
*thank you* most sincerely for your consideration re: rec.wildlife;
perhaps we should leave rec.birds to the bird enthusiasts - the
flames I've been getting in email just aren't worth ruffling
any feathers [no pun intended].

Eric Woodsworth runs a mailing list: wildnet, wildreq and perhaps
those subscribers would also be in favor of creating a new
newsgroup rather than renaming/expanding rec.birds.

Since I was not on the *net* when rec.birds was created, I
apologize to the chap who sent email to me saying that I should
work for a new newsgroup, i.e., rec.wildlife rather than
applying my efforts to expand the discussion in rec.birds
with posting information about ecology and domestic birds.

For those of you who would like to subscribe to the wildnet
mailing list, send your subscription requests to:
  ...alberta!sask!wildnet-request
            or
     wildreq@sask.bitnet

I'd really like the dataline number for Earth Island BBS if
someone can email it to me along with any other wildlife/ecology/
animal rights systems you might be familiar with.

Isn't it rather ironic to think that ecological issues do not
belong in rec.birds?  Aren't birds affected by ecological
destruction, deforestation, acid rain?

I'll volunteer to collect VOTES for a WILDLIFE.ECOLOGY newsgroup
so you can send your email to me - do *not* post to the net;
any of you who have posted YES votes to the net please resend
them to me in email.

We can discuss what to call the newsgroup once I've collected
the required 100 votes to do so.

P.S. To the person who wanted to subscribe to rec.horses,
     there's a new newsgroup for you:  rec.equestrian.  ;-)

--
Patt Haring                      {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX     {bellcore,harpo,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!patth

--
Patt Haring                       UUCP:    ..cmcl2!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510

winkg@vice.TEK.COM (Wink Gross) (12/01/87)

In article <6745@sunybcs.UUCP>, dmark@sunybcs.uucp (David Mark) writes:
> In article <154@bacchus.DEC.COM> larrabee@decwrl.UUCP (Tracy Larrabee) writes:
>    It seems to [m]e
> that there would be relatively little overlap among 'bird fanciers' who
> keep birds in captivity, and 'birders (a.k.a. bird-watchers)' who are
> concerned with the non-consumptive use of birds in the wild.  Thus it
> seems to be that they do not belong in the same group.  If neither
> can generate sufficient traffic to justify a newsgroup of its own, then
> we will all have to live with the combination.
>
> Am I wrong about the lack of cross-over interest?

Well, in my case, you are.

Look, I'm interested in birds. [period]  I like them for their
beauty, their interesting behavior, the fact that they migrate and
hence show up in the wrong places sometimes, their sounds, and their
conspicuousness (ever try vole watching?).  Most of the same is true
for my pet parrot (he doesn't migrate but my wife's plate of
spaghetti in the middle of dinner certainly counts as a "wrong
place").

what could be clearer than "net.birds"?  watching birds, keeping
birds, hunting birds (gasp!), racing birds, excavating [fossil]
birds.  (ok, ok, i drew the line at "eating" birds).

class Aves. [period]

Wink Gross
Tektronix Integrated Circuits
Beaverton, OR

gp@picuxa.UUCP (12/01/87)

In article <2744@zeus.TEK.COM>, bryanh@amadeus.TEK.COM (Bryan Hilterbrand;1893;92-789;LP=A;60TC) writes:

> or post articles about breeding/caring for domestic (but not pet) birds.
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What the heck is the difference?  Personally, I favor the though that this
newsgroup is for *wild* birds (maybe rec.birders).  It doesn't get enough
traffic though.  So maybe rec.wildlife is the answer.  Those that wish to
discuss breeding domestic (read pet) birds should probably take it to rec.pet.

Flame resistant feathers on :-)

simpson@notecnirp.Princeton.EDU (Patricia Simpson) (12/03/87)

In article <18737@bbn.COM> cosell@bbn.com.UUCP (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>Are any of the rest of you real wildlife-people reading this
>group 'cause it is as close as usenet gets?

Yep - that describes me too.  It's always surprised me that there
wasn't a rec.wildlife on the net.  In my opinion, the recent
bulletin-board postings have been a welcome enhancement to this newsgroup.
                                              - Pat
                                              simpson@princeton.UUCP

bryanh@amadeus.TEK.COM (Bryan Hilterbrand;1893;92-789;LP=A;60aC) (12/03/87)

In article <395@picuxa.UUCP> gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:

>> or post articles about breeding/caring for domestic (but not pet) birds.
>                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>What the heck is the difference?

I think of a pet bird as a bird that isn't afraid when humans are near
to it, and a pet bird is usually trained to talk or get on a person's
hand (shoulder, etc.).  A domestic (a better term would be captive) bird
is a bird that is, for all practical purposes, wild but is kept in a cage.
Generally captive birds don't talk and will bite a person's hand when
the person tries to pick them up, and they are usually afraid to have
humans anywhere near them.  The term 'domestic' was a poor word choice
on my part, because a 'domestic bird' would be something like a chicken
or turkey (however, chicken and turkey (living--not food) articles also
don't have a place to roost--pardon the pun).

>				   Personally, I favor the though that this
>newsgroup is for *wild* birds (maybe rec.birders).  It doesn't get enough
>traffic though.  So maybe rec.wildlife is the answer.

I'm not the person who misnamed the newsgroup--I just put it in my
newsgroup list.  If the basis for this newsgroup was birdwatching, then
it should have been named rec.birdwtchrs (or rec.birders as you
suggested).  You are correct about the amount of traffic put out by
birdwatchers--it is so minimal that they could not stand alone in a
separate newsgroup.  I am (as I've stated before) very much in favor
of a new newsgroup called rec.wildlife or rec.nature, and I would put
both rec.birds and the new newsgroup in my newgroup list (any volunteers
out there to take votes for a new newsgroup??).

>							Those that wish to
>discuss breeding domestic (read pet) birds should probably take it to rec.pet.

Perhaps pet bird articles should be posted to rec.pets (although many of
these articles are asking for advice--and what better place to get
advice about birds than this newgroup), but CAPTIVE bird articles have
no place there (and would probably be flamed).  Also, I'm not going to
waste my time digging through the dog, cat, and goldfish articles to
find the one or two articles a day about birds (NOTE:  I do like all
three of the aforementioned pets--I just don't like to read about them).

>Flame resistant feathers on :-)

No, no flames--just a little discussion.

bryanh@dadla.TEK.COM	   | Were you REALLY expecting a cute message here? |