[rec.birds] Binocular/Telescopes

snell@utzoo.UUCP ( ) (12/09/87)

In article  <9056@utzoo.UUCP>, steve@utzoo.UUCP (Stephen Smith) writes:

>I'm thinking about getting another pair of binoculars/telescope, and
>I'd like to hear what other birders have found useful. I currently
>have a pair of 7X35 Bushnells which I am quite happy with *most*
>of the time. There are instances however when I could do with
>a little more power ... usually I'm trying to get enough
>detail to ID a distantly soaring buteo and the critter is
>just a bit too far away to see clearly. [Stuff deleted.]

It depends on 1) your disposable income
              2) how much time you really use them
              3) where you use them.

Re: 1.  If you have $1000 or so, then do buy Leitz 9 X 40's.
        They are wonderful optical devices, give sharp clear images,
        light, small, waterproof, guaranteed more than any other by the
        manufacturer, focus internally, and make the other birds _so_ envious.

        Myself, I have a pair of Bushnell 10 x 50's which are heavier,
        but the optics are pretty good.  In particular, I have
        the Bushnell Explorer II, which is rather rugged, has been
        all over the place, have never given me any problems except
        one: the strap attachment mechanism is really Mickey Mouse,
        and kept coming lose until I applied some "Lock Tite" (goop
        to stop screws from disappearing off motorcycles).
        My wife finds them rather heavy after a few hours around the neck,
        and has a pair of 8 X 40's, and I really like them too.
        Had to put lock-tite on them too, but now they are fine.

Re. 2   If you use binos little, then there seems little point in
        spending the big bundle for Leitz (assuming you have it) or
        even the fairly big bundle for Bushnell Explorer II's.  But
        I advise against purchasing a cheap pair of $50 Japs from
        Consumer's Distributing.  The resolution is so pathetic that
        you will not want to use them.

        An advantage of the Explorer II is that it has a tripod mount
        in the centre.  Makes watching something for an extended period
        so much nicer.  Works well as a spotting scope too.

Re. 3   I see various rubberized versions are now available.  Complete
        with jungle camouflage too (the `Survivalists' are obviously
        a market share).  I have had mine in the rain countless times,
        and they have never fogged up internally.  It doesn't make any
        difference how much rubber is on the body of the binos, if
        there is no seal between the adjustable eye-piece and the main body.
        (I have never submerged my binos though.)  If waterproofing
        is a big thing for you, go with the internally focusing Leitz.
        (I doubt snorkelling with binos would work well though.)

Spotting Scopes are another issue....

Here are some thoughts.

1. I have a Bushnell Spacemaster with a 22X ocular.  It is great.
   Though a zoom can be purchased for it, it is expensive, and the
   screw on protective cover does not fit over the zoom.  Thus is
   would always be out and ready to be bashed.

2. Zoom lenses sound great, but the optics are inferior.

3. Fancy and expensive reflector units, like the Celestron, are
   rather fragile.  My Spacemaster has been through airline baggage
   many times, and always comes out smiling.

4. Too much magnification is useless.  You can not find things, as the
   field of view is too narrow.  Ever try to find a specific star
   using a 40 or 60X scope on a simple tripod.  It is Extremely tough.
   Even finding something obvious like the "Seven" Sisters is hard
   (you quickly find there are a lot more than 7).
   Same problem in trying to find a bird.  Especially when they move.

5. You will need a tripod for a scope.  A window mount for a car is
   a really terrific thing.  And after all, cars make the best blinds.
__
Name:   Richard Snell
Mail:   Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto
        Toronto, Ontario, Canada    M5S 1A1
UUCP:   {allegra,decvax,ihnp4,linus,pyramid,yetti,utai}!utzoo!snell
BITNET: utzoo!snell@utoronto.bitnet