[rec.birds] Domestic Parrots--they need a home... but not in rec.birds

sciurid@utzoo.UUCP (skippy) (12/10/87)

In article <2785@zeus.TEK.COM>,
bryanh@amadeus.TEK.COM (Bryan Hilterbrand) writes:

>I'm not the person who misnamed the newsgroup--I just put it in my
>newsgroup list.  If the basis for this newsgroup was birdwatching, then
>it should have been named rec.birdwtchrs (or rec.birders as you
>suggested).

I doubt this would preclude the parrot and budgie owners from posting
their worthies.  After all, they watch their parrots, don't they?
They just don't use binoculars, right?  Obviously the newsgroup
should have been called

rec.birders.of-birds-in-the-wild.and-no-stuffed-up-parrot-drivel

Oh yes. I'll sign up today.

>You are correct about the amount of traffic put out by
>birdwatchers--it is so minimal that they could not stand alone in a
>separate newsgroup.  I am (as I've stated before) very much in favor
>of a new newsgroup called rec.wildlife or rec.nature, and I would put

I wish this would happen.

>Also, I'm not going to
>waste my time digging through the dog, cat, and goldfish articles to
>find the one or two articles a day about birds (NOTE:  I do like all
>three of the aforementioned pets--I just don't like to read about them).

Ah.  Here is the real truth.  There is a weeny group of parrot
owners who rightly ought to post their articles in rec.pets.  But
they cann't be bothered to read through all the non-parrot postings.
They are even too lazy to press their `n' key or set up a kill file.
So, surprise, here is a group called `rec.birds' which isn't even
used that much.  And who cares if dumping drivel about domestic parrots
is not what the group was set up for.  There is the word `birds' in the
name, after all (maybe the `chick' and `bird' watchers in soc.singles
should post here too).  Besides, only a fool bothers to follow guidelines.
And why be bothered to set up a new special interest group--it is
too easy not to.

One of the nice things about rec.birds has always been its low volume.
Surely you can not imagine that volume is in some way related to
content?  Just look at the volume in the real blabbermouth groups
like soc.men, soc.women, and soc.motss.

Fortunately, aside from a rash of articles discussing the "proper"
role of this group (and these will soon die out--I think we rec.utzoo-jerks
are getting `monotonized...' ;-)  ), there are very few postings about
domestic parrots.  I will hope once the parrot owners get bored of
scanning the bottoms of their cages for excreta and then writing about it,
this newsgroup will regain its orginal, and far more pleasant, form.
__
Name:   Skippy
Mail:   Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto
        Toronto, Ontario, Canada    M5S 1A1
UUCP:   {allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!sciurid