[rec.birds] Is the Parrot `Leading' or `Just Hanging Out' with a Gang of Crows?

snell@utzoo.UUCP (snell) (12/11/87)

In article <35652@sun.uucp>, chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

>>I have one other question that has been troubling me. What the devil is
>>a *domestic (non-pet) parrot*?
>
>A domestic non-pet parrot is anything that used to be a pet and is no longer
>(or is the progeny of same). They're all over the place, if you just knew
>where to look......

Well, now this is a definition I certainly can live with.  What you have
described are feral birds.  Other examples are Starlings, House Sparrows,
Eurasian Tree Sparrows, and Monk Parakeets.  All now in the wild.

Do send in articles on your observations of these feral birds--this is
exactly the sort of thing this group was set up for.

>(As another silly aside, there is this flock of crows
>near my mothers house that occasionally raids her fig tree. Its leader
>happens to be an umbrella cockatoo. THAT's an amusing site, to say the least.

Actually, this is quite interesting.  Certainly more than a silly aside.
I am surprised that crows would accept a parrot into their social
network, let alone allow it to become their leader.  I have often
watched crows, and have never really felt any are the `leader'.
What observations have you made that make you think this is what
is going on.  I suspect the parrot, at best, is simply trying to follow
the crows around, like a lost dog.

An aside from the Great White North:
Feral budgies seem to do very well in Toronto, at least until the cold
weather arrives.  Then they drop dead--as far as I know, none manage
to over-winter outside.  (Same applies to other escapees such as
Zebra Finches).
__
Name:   Richard Snell
Mail:   Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto
        Toronto, Ontario, Canada    M5S 1A1
UUCP:   {allegra,decvax,ihnp4,linus,pyramid,yetti,utai}!utzoo!snell
BITNET: utzoo!snell@utoronto.bitnet