[rec.birds] Attracting birds into your yard.

chris@leadsv.UUCP (Chris Salander) (12/02/87)

	Has anyone out there deliberately modified their yards or
gardens to attract birds?  If you have what have been the results?
What can be used to attract the real colorful birds?

	I know a good birdbath always helps.  What about different
bushes?  Fences?  Trees?  Types of feeders?  Types of seed?

jtkrist@ihlpf.UUCP (12/04/87)

don't forget about a birdbath heater to keep the water unfrozen
in the winter - draws a real crowd to our backyard

then there's the ash catcher from the Weber Kettle - sparrows
frequently drop in to take dust baths
--
	James T. Krist
	AT&T Bell Laboratories		IHP-1F230

tough@ecf.toronto.edu (Kenneth Richard Tough) (12/11/87)

In article <1821@leadsv.UUCP> chris@leadsv.UUCP (Chris Salander) writes:

>	Has anyone out there deliberately modified their yards or
>gardens to attract birds?  If you have what have been the results?
>What can be used to attract the real colourful birds?

I once attached a small speaker below my bird feeder to a buried cable
and into the house.  There I simply plugged into a tape recorder and played
certain bird calls from a record I borrowed at the library.

I never attracted anything exotic (this was in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada at the
time),  mostly sparrows and robins.  However, the numbers were pretty amazing;
I once  had as many as 28 robins in a 50 x 50 foot back yard!

Ken.