[rec.birds] At a crossroads? No. But, has anyone seen a crossbill lately?

snell@utzoo.uucp (snell) (12/15/87)

In article (zen.5280), max@eros.UUCP (Max Hauser) writes:

>3. We are at a crossroads with this group. Since the birdwatching-
>only fans have already argued that there is not enough birdwatching
>traffic to sustain an entire group, let us please not have further
>suggestions for changing the name alone.

No bird-watching fan (of wild birds, that is) has suggested this, Max.

The discussion has not been about how to increase volume in rec.birds,
but whether rec.pets is a more appropriate place to post articles
about birds which live in cages.

>There seem to be two camps.  One is interested in birds at large
>(including breeding and yes, maybe even pets; regardless of the
>nontraditional nature of this it does seem to fill a need).
>The other prefers wildlife at large. [...   ]
>
>Taking a cue therefore from steve@utzoo, I would respectfully
>change his map, in view of all this (the impact of the name
>"rec.birds", the demonstrated demand, and the complaints that
>birdwatching alone will not fill a group) to the following:
>
>articles on aviculture ---> rec.birds  (just like the name says)
>articles on birdwatching ---> rec.nature (new), optionally rec.birds too
>articles on general ecology ---> rec.nature (new)

Oh no.  Please no.  I would rather read a few articles about caged pet
parrots, mis-posted in rec.birds, than have to wade through all the
tree- and bunny-hugging articles which would show up in rec.nature.

Rec.nature is a great idea, as its own newsgroup.
So is rec.aviculture (though I would imagine the pet parrot owners are
far too serious about their activity to want it refered to as recreational).
__
Name:   Richard Snell
Mail:   Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto
        Toronto, Ontario, Canada    M5S 1A1
UUCP:   {allegra,decvax,ihnp4,linus,pyramid,yetti,utai}!utzoo!snell
BITNET: utzoo!snell@utoronto.bitnet